"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-12-2010, 05:17 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Wow is right, Zereh.

As I said in yesterday's post, it wouldn't last. The wind is blowing up to 23 and it's out of the NW so it's chilling down quickly. There is a freeze watch starting tonight and through Monday.

Oh well it was nice to have a little break yesterday, now to get out the socks and sweats. Brrrrr.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
Senior Cook

It's stopped snowing - were I am we got 14" - about 30 miles from here they got 20" !!!

The sky is clear and the temperature is -1... (fahrenheit)

If it's not one thing, it's the next!

Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #13
Head Chef

I am in Missouri, and only have an inch, but it is 19 degrees, and so windy that I have big 'snow devils' dancing thru the yard. So glad I got all my errands completed yesterday--today, I will be making cherry jelly and lemon curd. Until I run out of sugar, anyhow.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
Senior Cook

My mom lives in MN, near Rochester. I talked to her yesterday late morning and she said they had 9 inches and it was still coming down. We have sideways snow right now but we're not getting near the accumulation folks up north have gotten. I don't mind the snow but the cold is just ridiculous. Tomorrow we will have -20 to -25 with wind chill factored in.

The way I had our meals planned out... I wasn't paying attention so for 4 days in a row, starting yesterday, we're having soups/stews. Yum!!
Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Snowed in... a hot bowl of stew...a good fire ~~~ Sounds delish Miss Jeni!!!

Stay Warm!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

All we got out of it, as it swept past, was two days of freezing rain. Took me 30 minutes to drive 2 miles through town.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #17
Master Chef

All of our friends in Minnesota and Wisconsin got hammered by this last storm. But be glad. Be very glad. We just got a couple inches here in SSM. However, back about 15 years (give or take a few years), the same hear we remodeled our house, we got 60 inches, that's five feet, boys and girls, in one weekend. But it was all powder and had now substance to it. Even so, that was a lot of snow to shovel out of the driveway and off of the roof. I almost made the long trip from the roof to the ground when I slipped on some ice on the roof. Fortunately, and ice damn had built up on the northwest corner and my boot heels caught the lip and stopped my slide.

I'm not trying to do the one-upmanship thing here. I'm just saying that I'm happy it wasn't worse for all of you who got hit. In the meantime, enjoy your stews.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I almost made the long trip from the roof to the ground when I slipped on some ice on the roof. Fortunately, and ice damn had built up on the northwest corner and my boot heels caught the lip and stopped my slide.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
No more playing Rudolph for you!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #19
Head Chef

300 miles south of Goodweed and we have a couple of inches of snow. We were told we would get 6-12 inches accumulation by Monday morning but our weather reports are always grossly exaggerated. It totally ticks me off. You can't plan anything because you never know for sure what the weather is going to be. I'd almost rather get the 12 inches of snow and know that I was getting it than to be constantly cancelling plans all winter because the weather reports are so totally inaccurate. For us it was chicken stew for dinner.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

sorry for all your bad weather. it was 86 here today. not supposed to be so hot tomorrow and the rest of the week.