Stew in a Blizzard - Minnesotan Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He says, whenever a politician gets on his high horse on the subject, that he wants the man to live on our front porch for a few days. Looking at the record books, the past few years we've had record cold weather, which somehow, someone manages to attribute to global warming (puh-leeze do not explain this one to me). Every year I need more, More, MORE de-icer. When I was in the service, I lived in a trailer in North Dakota. It was worse, but I'm not sure how much worse.

I've heard this one too. They've got a cause and they will defend it no matter how stupid they sound.

I figure the weather is what it is, and this whole global warming this is just a bunch of alarmists with their latest "sky is falling" routine. I ignore it. What's the use of getting upset unless you're an adrenaline junkie.

Okay all let us get this thread back on the topic of Stew in a Blizzard...

What stews, soups, and other such foods has everyone else been making to get through the snow and extremely cold temperatures? Care to share?

It is 22 degrees here so tonight I just made chicken and dumpling stew from things in the freezer and pantry.

I put in the crock pot 2 bone-in & skin on chicken breasts, 1 can chicken broth, about 1 cup leftover turkey broth, 1/2 bag of baby carrots, celery tops with leaves, ground black pepper, chopped fresh marjoram, thyme, and a sprig of rosemary. Cooked it on high for 4 hours till the chicken was done. Pulled it all out of the pot, shredded the meat off the bone and returned the meat and carrots to the broth. Added 1/2 bag of frozen peas and the same of corn. Cooked for another 15 min then added a slurry of flour and water and cooked until it simmered again. Topped it with dumplings and cooked for another 20 min until the dumplings were done.

Okay all let us get this thread back on the topic of Stew in a Blizzard...

What stews, soups, and other such foods has everyone else been making to get through the snow and extremely cold temperatures? Care to share?

It is 22 degrees here so tonight I just made chicken and dumpling stew from things in the freezer and pantry.

I put in the crock pot 2 bone-in & skin on chicken breasts, 1 can chicken broth, about 1 cup leftover turkey broth, 1/2 bag of baby carrots, celery tops with leaves, ground black pepper, chopped fresh marjoram, thyme, and a sprig of rosemary. Cooked it on high for 4 hours till the chicken was done. Pulled it all out of the pot, shredded the meat off the bone and returned the meat and carrots to the broth. Added 1/2 bag of frozen peas and the same of corn. Cooked for another 15 min then added a slurry of flour and water and cooked until it simmered again. Topped it with dumplings and cooked for another 20 min until the dumplings were done.

Sounds rib sticking good. And Hurray for bone in skin on chicken breasts. MUCH more flavor to the whole dish.:chef:

Sounds rib sticking good. And Hurray for bone in skin on chicken breasts. MUCH more flavor to the whole dish.:chef:

Thanks!! I agree there is MUCH more flavor. I have made similar dishes using the boneless - skinless and I think the meat is dryer as well as having less taste.

Thanks!! I agree there is MUCH more flavor. I have made similar dishes using the boneless - skinless and I think the meat is dryer as well as having less taste.

My personal opinion is that B/S chicken breasts are what gave rubber chicken the name.

You can always strip it after cooking, and cool & skim off the fat, but the flavor is cooked in.

Not to mention cheaper!

Oh, baloney. I just looked over this line and can't find it! Didn't someone write that they were going to have Tshirts made up that say "Minnesotans For Global Warming"???!!...

Yeah, I said that, maybe it was in a different thread. But I still stand by my word. :LOL:

I have to add though, I am very much for conservation, recycling, saving, less imitations and all of those good things, but not because some idiot politician, who gets a Nobel prize, said so, but because it is written in the good old book, called Torah, or Bible if you wish, or old testament. Call it what you want, but wastefulness is wrong. But we have to be reasonable and truthful about it.

Last edited:
We had snow and howling wind the other night and I settled for canned soup because DH is not a big fan of soup and only wanted a sandwich. They're predicting ice for tonight, and I'm making vegetable beef soup, by golly!

I have to add though, I am very much for conservation, recycling, saving, less immition and all of those good things, but not because some idiot politician, who gets a Nobel prize, said so, but because it is written in the good old book, called Torah, or Bible if you wish, or old testament. Call it what you want, but wastefulness is wrong. But we have to be reasonable and truthful about it.

I mean immition, like those bad gas. Somebody please corect my English.

Went house hunting today. Wore two whole sets of clothing along with the typical winter gear. It's not all that cold here today, somewhere in the twenties, but I chill very easily these days. Before I left the house I did a bad thing. I made up some chicken and rice and stuck it in the oven on 225 degrees. Covered it and left it to cook while I was out. I know that is a bad thing to do but it worked out fine. I came home to supper all ready and waiting for dh and dd. Now I have half of the afternoon to myself (and at Christmas time!). Though I guess I should get those ginger cookies baking. Well, at least the house is nice and warm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom