Street Festivals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
The thread on the Hoboken festival is neighbourhood specific. What about where you live?

Do you have street festivals in the city? The ones I am referrig to is when the street is closed for blocks and blocks to vehicle traffic and open to pedestrians only. Vendors of all kinds selling just about anything you can think of and food stands that the board of health would cringe at but produce the most amazing dishes!

I always try to taste something (usually some ethnic dish) I've never had before. But an Italian festival will always be my favourite. Plates of ravioli, usually from a store that makes fresh ravioli (like Talluto's on 9th Street in Philly) or eggplant parm, or chicken picatta or meatball heros, or sausage and peppers and the desserts...all those pastries.. even better when the festival is selling wine, too:w00t2::clap:

State Fairs are pretty good too, for getting some tasty food from vendors..

There are quite a few here, but I've not been to as many as I'd like.
I do remember an Irish festival at the Santa Anita racetrack, and a nice Greek festival up in Santa Barbara (now that was great food!)

We have LOTS of them in Scotland!

Edinburgh Festival and Fringe Festival and Book Festival and TV/Media festivals happen concurrently all through August.

Foodstuffs are also available at lost of venues.

Various towns/cities throughout Maine have festivals related to foods that are in season, like strawberries, blueberries, etc, lobster festivals, seafood festivals. Right now we have the American Folk Festival going on, which includes band from all over the world, food vendors from all over too, also arts and crafts, food demonstrations, art festivals. The only time they close the streets here to cars is when there is a parade.

There are all kinds of Seafood and Wine Festivals all over Oregon. We used to have a tie dye booth at most of them, but have since semi-retired and only do 2 now. I first tasted focaccia at one of them. Two of my sis' and I consumed a whole loaf with homemade aioli.

We have one here in the Philippines. Octoberfest....We close a main Highway street....To have fun for 3days..... Bands, beer serve everywhere....all the shops are open till 6am people still having fun in the street.... the middle part is made into disco street place where you can dance on each end of the close road a stage in made where bands sing different kind of music and on each side per 6blocks away small stages are made for local acoustic singer to play simple music....Young and old people come and enjoy this event...WE CALL it TIGTIGAN TERAKAN KEN DALAN...........its means in english singing and dancing on the streets......

We have all kinds of local festivals around here. Herrin, which has a large Italian population, has an annual Festa Italiana, Murphysboro has an apple festival (their local boys, Apple City BBQ, won the Memphis in May BBQ cook-off 3 times), Ridgeway has a popcorn festival, Mt. Vernon has a sweet corn and watermelon festival, and Makanda has a Vulture Fest.
All have great food, beer tents, music, and such. Herrin and Murphysboro probably have the best food, but Makanda's Vulture Fest is probably the most fun. A bunch of old hippies settled down there in the hilly hollers of the southern-most part of the state, where, every fall, the black vultures and turkey vultures flock in. They do all kinds of crafts and artwork, grow grapes for wine,

We have one in Seattle every year.

I went for the first time when I was 12 or 13.. and had Greek food for the first time. I told my mom that day that I was going to grow up and marry a Greek man!! I wanted to be able to go to Greece and eat like that forever.

so... about 20 years later that's what I did.

Toronto just had "Taste Of The Danforth" It's in Greek town, but they have food from every country. Last time I went , I ate my way up one side of the street and down the other. I ate so may different kinds of foods, I thought I was going to die.:)

Loprraine said:
Toronto just had "Taste Of The Danforth" It's in Greek town, but they have food from every country. Last time I went , I ate my way up one side of the street and down the other. I ate so may different kinds of foods, I thought I was going to die.:)

I think that's the way it should be done, actually. I always find the aromas so enticing that I simply have to sample almost everything.

Back
Top Bottom