Stuff I used to eat, but can't choke down now..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
Slim Jims

Franco American Spaghetti

I know there are more, I will add them as they come to mind.

Candy corn (got so sick one Halloween from eating too much around 6 yrs old), can't eat it ever again. Even the smell can make me nauseous.

Bob

Patty, it's a good thing you gave up those Slim Jims - I heard on the news the other day that a "freak" accident at their processing plant killed three people and they have stopped production indefinitely. They expect a shortage of Slim Jims...

Patty, it's a good thing you gave up those Slim Jims - I heard on the news the other day that a "freak" accident at their processing plant killed three people and they have stopped production indefinitely. They expect a shortage of Slim Jims...

LOL, I really can't figure out WHY I used to like them anyway. It has been about 25 years ago.

LOL, I really can't figure out WHY I used to like them anyway. It has been about 25 years ago.

were they even food in the first place? :ROFLMAO:

dear me! there are a lot of things I ate as a kid I wouldn't think of touching now. Bologna on white comes to mind right off the bat! :ohmy:

Things I used to eat, but wouldn't touch now:

Chef June reminds me that I used to love a good baloney sandwich.
Kraft's mac & cheese mix
Pop Tarts
Pancake syrup
Spam
Vienna sausages
store bought brownie mixes
Coke
Candy bars - even my beloved Milky Ways and Snickers
movie theater popcorn
Dinty Moore brand beef stew
regular white pasta, flour, bread
Johnsonville brats

There's a reason we used to like these foods if you're as old as me and lived some places I have -- they simply were the few options! In recent years I've tried to revisit some of those childhood favorites. What a laugh. I used to love those Chinese dinners in a can (Chung King I think; chop suey?), Dinty Moore beef stew, Kraft macoroni and cheese, and various hamburger helpers. Now? well, I can make a better version of any of them. BUT, that said, it is more expensive to make it from scratch than use these way-over-salted versions. And, to be fair, hamburger helper stroganof was something that made me think (in my teens) that this might be a good thing to learn to make from scratch, and I'm still known among family and friends for my great stroganof. But I think the hamburger helper version costs a fraction (yes, even buying good quality beef) of what the fresh ingredients cost me. OF course, now to me they just taste like a lot of salt, and I'm a salt-a-holic. If it is too salty for me, y'all better watch your blood pressure.

Potted Meat in those little cans!

Thanks KayLinda - You triggered a memory of the little paper wrapped cans with the little red devils on it with "deviled ham". I liked those when I was a kid.

But anyway, you made me think about making my own ham spread. I have a ham shank in the fridge that I need to do something with soon, and I have a jar of pickle relish (that I only use in a few recipes like tuna salad), and I have a stick blender with a "chop fine" attachment that would work in place of a grinder. Humh. Most go look for ham spread recipes now :)

Thanks,

Bob

Jack Daniels, Southern Comfort, Bacardi Rum and Tequila. Drank my quotient in HS and college, LOL!

Canned chili because I read the fat content of a can

I used to toast bread, put a Swanson Salisbury Patty on, pile on cheddar cheese and sour cream then the gravy over all... not any more!

Hamburger Helper. It seems to have changed something in the formula, just isn't good to me now.

Slim Jims because their quality seems to have slipped A LOT. I still like meat snacks, but also read their fat content, darn it.

Fruit Float and 1 2 3 Whipped or whatever it was called, but only because they are no longer sold, LOL!:angel::ROFLMAO:

Semolina Yuk...reminds me of school dinners, they used to make us wait until everyone had finished...so even if you didn't eat it, you had to sit & look at it!!

Jack Daniels, Southern Comfort, Bacardi Rum and Tequila. Drank my quotient in HS and college, LOL!

Thanks for those memories, GF!! I totally agree!

Also:

pickled beets
sweet pickles
spam mixed w/mac and cheese
potato stroganoff hamburger helper
instant mashed potatoes (I wised up about these as a child)
cheez whiz - although I wouldn't turn it down on a cheesesteak from Philly
El Charrito frozen mexican dinners

Oh, there's more but that's enough for now!

Katy

Frozen peas or corn
Canned chicken soup . I can barely stomach looking at the grease pools on the top of it now .:rolleyes:
Frozen store bought pot pies.
Kraft singles cheese slices
Miracle Whip
Cool Whip
Canned beef stew
Buddig "turkey" slices

So many of the things already listed are things I can't stomach anymore, either. I rememebr what a good cook I used to think I was, making a one-dish meal out of Hamburger Helper and those Lipton Rice dishes.....:ROFLMAO:
We're raising my cousin, who's 10 now (he's been with us for two years now), and there have been so many firsts since he came to live with us..... First camping trip, first snowfall, first time being told to eat what he was given or nothing....:rolleyes:
But the really funny one was Spam. I hadn't eaten it in years, and he saw it on the shelf in the commissary and asked about it. So I got him some. I frizzled it in a pan and fed it to him with some eggs. I took one little taste and nearly spit it out. GACK!
We've since gone vegetarian, and now most of the processed things I used to like taste awful.

It really gets me when people complain about the price of food......we (in general) spend $2,000 on a TV, $400 on a Blu-Ray player, oodles on a Wii, not to mention designer clothing....who pays $1,000 for a pair of Manolo Blahniks?
Why should what we put IN our bodies be of any less importance? KWIM?

Fairy Bread this is white slices of bread spread with butter and on top sprinkled with Hundreds and Thousands which are tiny pin sized multicoloured round candy balls. Fairy Bread mainly made for the enjoyment of children at childrens parties but secretly whoffed down by adults when no-ones watching :LOL:. Brings back memories.

Vienna Sausages, spam, canned ham, potted meat...
Still like the occasional slim jim.. and Dinty Moore beef stew with dumplings on top is tolerable and I still enjoy my Spaghetti-Oh's.

alcohol! 4 1/2 years sober now.
any kind of meat in a can.
processed 'cheese food'.
tv dinners.
liverwurst. ewwww...
moon pies, cream-filled pastries of any kind. too cloyingly sweet.
venison and fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom