"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #41
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I think the better question would be why wouldn't you want to like something that you currently do not like?

For me, I would want to like every single thing that I do not like. If I had to pick one thing though it would be eggs. I can't stand eggs in any way shape or form. That makes going out for breakfast very difficult. Next time you go out for breakfast take a look at how many options there are if you don't eat eggs. You will easily get rid of 90% of the menu.
GB - That's in my category of even though I "don't" like, I keep an open mind for different ways of preparing it. I will try it (and not leave leftovers for those so kind to have provided), but I may still dislike it, and I have no inclination to think "gee, I wish I liked that". If I do, great, if I don't fine. I just will/will not prepare at home or in a restaurant based on that.

But that doesn't change my underlying thoughts about an item. If I liek it? great. If I don', why should I?

Patty1 brought up a good point that I think causes me to consider a different direction on the question.

What is it that you like a lot, but due to unavailability or cost, you do not have as often as you'd like?

That question makes a lot more sense to me. For my example, I love fresh fish. Fried, baked, broiled, grilled, in foil, etc., but due to it's cost, and the fact I am frugal, I do not eat it in the volume I'd like. OTOH, I love potato dishes. But because I think the best potatoes in the world are grown in Europe, and I do not have access to them, I will not eat potatoes in the volume I would, had I that access.

That is my spin on the OP question, and thanks to Patty1's response I could quantify.

Bob

Old 07-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
i try things i dislike until i like them, until i at least tolerate them, because i'm not picky & choose to remain that way.
If I truly dislike something I never get to the "tolerate" point. I don't know how you can do that to yourself It could be a preparation issue so I will give things a repeated try until I finally figure out it's just "aint gonna happen."

Casper - I WANT to like everything...doesn't mean it's going to happen...I view this as simply a "what if" question.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I think the better question would be why wouldn't you want to like something that you currently do not like?

For me, I would want to like every single thing that I do not like. If I had to pick one thing though it would be eggs. I can't stand eggs in any way shape or form. That makes going out for breakfast very difficult. Next time you go out for breakfast take a look at how many options there are if you don't eat eggs. You will easily get rid of 90% of the menu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
GB - That's in my category of even though I "don't" like, I keep an open mind for different ways of preparing it. I will try it (and not leave leftovers for those so kind to have provided), but I may still dislike it, and I have no inclination to think "gee, I wish I liked that". If I do, great, if I don't fine. I just will/will not prepare at home or in a restaurant based on that.

But that doesn't change my underlying thoughts about an item. If I liek it? great. If I don', why should I?

Patty1 brought up a good point that I think causes me to consider a different direction on the question.

What is it that you like a lot, but due to unavailability or cost, you do not have as often as you'd like?

That question makes a lot more sense to me. For my example, I love fresh fish. Fried, baked, broiled, grilled, in foil, etc., but due to it's cost, and the fact I am frugal, I do not eat it in the volume I'd like. OTOH, I love potato dishes. But because I think the best potatoes in the world are grown in Europe, and I do not have access to them, I will not eat potatoes in the volume I would, had I that access.

That is my spin on the OP question, and thanks to Patty1's response I could quantify.

Bob

Why are you over analyzing a simple question? It is JUST a thread topic. You can always start your own thread, like I did. "Stuff I used to eat that I can't choke down now?"
Old 07-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Why are you over analyzing a simple question? It is JUST a thread topic. You can always start your own thread, like I did. "Stuff I used to eat that I can't choke down now?"
LOL Patty - That's the way I viewed it - - - just a question. I really would like to love all foods. The most analyzing I'm going to do is to say that the ICK foods make the YUM foods that much better!!!! If we loved everything would there be any yum foods?

Old 07-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Okay everyone, I give you all permission to laugh.

I don't particularly care for cake.

And this isn't just because I am exposed to it so much in my work, this has been all my life. I am not too much for the texture and don't like anything super sweet (ie the icing).
I actually prefer my chocolate cake un-iced. Just spread a little soft butter on top..
Old 07-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #46
Head Chef

OK.. Raw Oysters... just can't develop a taste for them..
Liver.. smells great!.. makes me gag..
Eggs.. the only way I eat them if there is enough stuff to hide the flavor(omelets, skillets etc).. except for boiled eggs which I like(hard boiled)..go figure..
Caviar.....just fish flavored salt to my tastebuds...
Old 07-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Okay everyone, I give you all permission to laugh.

I don't particularly care for cake.

And this isn't just because I am exposed to it so much in my work, this has been all my life. I am not too much for the texture and don't like anything super sweet (ie the icing).

OK - I just read this one...I'm sure glad you gave me permission, otherwise I'd have to do it WITHOUT permission!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm just like my dad and the two of us use to drive my poor mother to hysterics...Mom could take a cake and make her version of frosting and everyone would rave about it..Dad and I would sit down, and procede to scrape off the icing and put it into a napkin that then was deposited on the garbage..Mom would get so angry at us, each time she would swear never ever again to bake a cake... Poor thing her icings alone were so good..yet on a cake blech...
kadesma