"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
Everymom

Summer Salads

Kadesma got me thinking about the salads I do in the summer. Tell us what you served this week.

I served a coleslaw with balsamic vinaigrette and toasted almonds. Opened a bag of coleslaw (I'm too lazy to slice the cabbage myself!), generously salted it and left it to sit for a few hours. (Dad told me this softens the cabbage without "bruising" and it is lovely, just remember to drain the liquid or you will have too salty a salad)

While it was sitting I made a vinaigrette. I just tossed together some balsamic vinegar, a little minced garlic, a bit of sugar, some lemon juice and EVOO. I can't give you specific measurements because I was cooking for a LOT of people. Sorry, mess around and see what works for you. Then I poured some EVOO over some slivered almonds and tossed them in the microwave for a couple of minutes. When they were done I tossed them on the cabbage and then dressed it all. It was a huge hit.

I'll try to remember to post a couple more salad recipes later in the week. What did you do this week?

Old 08-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I didn't do anything this week, but here are some summer salad ideas:

Kanpachi en Crudo

Calamari, Fennel, and Orange Salad

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ied-16459.html

Italian-style Seafood Salad

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ette-1993.html

Old 08-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
Sous Chef

We did this salad for our lunch today:
baby spinach
small red potatoes - cook and allow to cool and slice
coarsely chopped celery
thinly sliced red onion
toasted slivered almonds
Toss spinach with tomato vinaigrette and put in large platter or bowl. Add salt and pepper to remaining ingredients and toss them with more vinaigrette and mound atop spinach. Chop fresh tomatoes and add as a border around the bowl.
It was great alongside Honey Mustard Chicken.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I usually start out with romaine and just see what is in the fridge. Many times I can't make the same salad twice. I made one while we were at the farm and everybody really enjoyed it. The only problem I couldn't remember what all I had put into it. We eat lots of salad year round with grilled meat in the summer and with soup or casseroles in the cooler months.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

DH and I, when it's just the two of us, love a big salad and some warm bread and since today was hot and quiet ( no kids today or grandkids) I've added to the salad I posted this morning...Along with the hard cooked eggs and tomatoes I've added some imported oil packed tuna in large chunks, some cucumber, avocado, cannellini beans, a few blanched green beans and par boiled baby potatoes that I cut in quarters..NOw some parmesan bread and we're set.
kadesma
Old 08-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Sounds delicious. Is this a recipe, or did you just add what you enjoy?
Old 08-06-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
Sounds delicious. Is this a recipe, or did you just add what you enjoy?
No special recipe,
I'm a watcher of things people eat, if it looks like I might like it I give it a try. My dad loved scrambled eggs and ketchup during the winter, in the summer it was scrambled eggs, and his garden tomatoes cut in wedges, sooo,
I thought eggs, tomatoes, I like those too and from there I raided the refridgerator and threw in things DH and I like..That's how I do lot's of things just mix up our favorites and see what I get

kadesma
Old 08-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I like wedged tomatoes, (no core) beetroot, pickled or not, and red onion rings. Dressed or not.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:27 AM   #9
Everymom

OK, tonight we had company and lots of blueberries.

Spinach salad with blueberry dressing. I buzzed up about a 1/2 cup of blueberries with a couple tablespoons of lemon juice and about a 1/3 cup EVOO. I added a bit of sugar, but not enough. Next time I would add more sugar (say...about 1/4 cup) and maybe some garlic and a pinch of dry mustard. I just tossed this on the spinach and threw in some extra blueberries. If I were making for non allergic folks I would also have toasted some pecans...mmmmmmmmmmm!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:31 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

a little passe' i restaurants around here nowadays, but i still like a good mesculun salad with lots of frisse leaves, toasted walnuts, dried cranberries, and goat cheese puppies (dollops of goat cheese rolled in fine, toasted breadcrumbs), in a sweet balsamic viniagrette.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote