"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

i made broiled buffalo wings tonight. if you like your wings on the well done side and don't have access to a grill, then this is the way to go. line them up on the broiler tray and put into the middle slot. broil 10 minutes on each side, rotating the outer ones to the center and vise versa so they all get cooked evenly

sauce was just simply butter and frank's.

unfortunately, dw didn't know that i was making them downstairs, so she gril-panned some plain boneless chicken breasts, and sauteed broccoli with garlic and evoo.

even though they had already eaten by the time my wings were done, we all shared the bucket o' wings. the little guy put away a dozen before he finally was too stuffed.
who can resist buffalo wings?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I don't know how to put one of those accent/puncuation thingies in my words or I would have
Plans have changed anyway, so the moles are safe.
If you are using Windows, then you can find it on the character map. "Character Map" can be found in: all programs | accessories | system tools. I put a shortcut in my tray.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #53
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i made broiled buffalo wings tonight. if you like your wings on the well done side and don't have access to a grill, then this is the way to go. line them up on the broiler tray and put into the middle slot. broil 10 minutes on each side, rotating the outer ones to the center and vise versa so they all get cooked evenly

sauce was just simply butter and frank's.

unfortunately, dw didn't know that i was making them downstairs, so she gril-panned some plain boneless chicken breasts, and sauteed broccoli with garlic and evoo.

even though they had already eaten by the time my wings were done, we all shared the bucket o' wings. the little guy put away a dozen before he finally was too stuffed.
who can resist buffalo wings?

Not me!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I think I've figured out why I have been having so much trouble with breaded chicken thighs.

One is that purchased bread crumbs do not have salt in them resulting in a blah taste. Seasoning the meat alone is not enough.

Two is the fact that I use thighs, which adds lots more moisture resulting in a gummier breading.

I was checking my email this morning and a newsletter from Betty Crocker had a recipe almost the same as yours, Alix, but with very slightly different proportions. It used chicken breasts, of course, and looked lovely and crisp. That's when I realized that the thing I love best about the thighs, their moistness, is what was causing my difficulty.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #55
Everymom

Well that sucks Zhizara, sorry it didn't work out for you. Betty Crocker is poaching my recipe??? OK that's kind of cool actually. I will say this does well with chicken breast. I buy BSCB in bulk, 4kg at a time. I have a LOT of recipes for them. Its only occasionally we have thighs or drumsticks.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

For me, chicken breast is used to make chicken sandwiches, chicken salad, and occasionally just roasted, plain, and served with gravy.

I bought a bag of tenders. Hated them. They cost too much and just don't have a lot of flavor. Chicken legs in a 10# bag costs less than $6, makes tons of meals and have lots of flavor.

I did buy a 4 pack of breasts last shopping trip. Skin and bones included. I roasted them (one by one) to get the crispy skin (MMM) then made my first sandwich with sliced warm chicken breast, with lots of mayo and a little bacon, lettuce and tomato. The rest went to chicken salad.

I guess I'll just stick with my TNT methods and know now that chicken thighs aren't a good substitute for chicken breast when breading. They are too moist and make for a soggy breading.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #57
Master Chef

Z, have you ever used Panko bread crumbs? They make all the difference in the world. I too, prefer chicken thighs, and since I discovered Panko crumbs, I have never fail results. Panko breadcrumbs have a coarser texture than ordinary breadcrumbs, and they make for a much lighter and crunchier casserole topping and coating for fried foods. They're especially good for breading seafood and chicken. They used to be kinda hard to find, but now days I've found them right next to normal bread crumbs in the grocery.
Once you've used them, you'll never go back.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

No I haven't, but I've put it on my grocery list. All I hear about it is good. I really would like to have the crunch, and don't want the mess and greasiness of frying.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Everything Kayelle said. I love them on deep fried shrimp when I am going for that extra crunch. And that's what I've been using on Laurie's mushroom gratin. They are even available in my small town store now. Good stuff.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm really looking forward to trying it. Do you have to add salt? Also, where do you find it in your store?