Sunday 1/22/2017 What's cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Tacos are planned for tonight.

I'm planning to do pork shoulder in my Instantpot tonight. Will portion out to use for carnitas and BBQ pulled pork. Some will go into freezer.

I'm gonna pan sear some steaks and serve with a side of garlic mashed taters and some vegetables. Along with some dinner rolls.

I found a recipe on an american site that sounded lovely, filled cannelloni with ricotta topping also known as cannelloni lasagna and I happen to have the type they ask for. So I madeit and they were as lovely as I thought they would be.

How ever the portion sizes is insane, it said 4 cannelloni per portion , so we are 2 adult and 1 small kid, so I made 10, scaled back on the cheese topping that was just way too much. So we manage to eat 2 cannellonis and salad and the daughter 2/3 of 1 and we were stuffed and didnt even have the monster portion salad shown or the garlic bread either. My husband has now two lunch boxes and he is happy with that.

Last edited:
Probably green chili enchiladas with some of the pork from the whole piglet. Green rice and refried black beans as sides. I'm not fond of refried beans as a whole but will eat black bean refrieds, so Craig is making them.

He's also making most of 2 other meals for next week so he's had a busy afternoon.

Last edited:
I'm watching Atlanta destroy Green Bay while munching on a salad of calamari over arrugula in a lemon garlic dressing, and a grandma pie.

The place I went to has a new item, a grandpa pie. It's a margherita pie with sausage and garlic sauteed broccoli rabe. Gonna have to try that next time.

So what is the version of the grandma pie, bt? And by "pie" I assume you mean pizza...

We had a big, late-late brunch today of Dirty Eggs. I mince onions an mushrooms, saute them, then add scrambled eggs. Just enough eggs to bind everything. Served with rye toast, it's a little bit of taste-bud heaven. We can just pick-pick-pick tonight if we want anything else.

I found a recipe on an american site that sounded lovely...How ever the portion sizes is insane...
Which might explain why the body size of some Americans is also "insane". :ermm:

Sirloin steaks on the grill, Oak Rotten Potatoes, mushrooms/onion in lemon butter, and assembling the other half of the boston cream pie from earlier this week, for DS's birthday. We are stuffed! Pie/cake later.

So what is the version of the grandma pie, bt? And by "pie" I assume you mean pizza...

Yes, ah beetz'. (Say that in a heavily Italian accent)

It's a square pizza, medium to thin crust that is brushed with garlic oil and pre-baked a little, then topped with fresh tomatoes and a little sauce, bufala mozzarella (or just fresh water mozz), dried savory and oregano, and torn fresh basil.

Made pierogi. Potato,onion and cheese stuffed then topped spinach,onion and garlic.

img_1496614_0_bca4600eb9d94757ace17463d2e6f374.jpg

Our "pick-pick-pick" included TJ's tiropitas, various cheeses from West Side Market in Cleveland, sausages too, and dried fruits, nuts, grapes...all sorts of things. :yum: The cheeses on my plate, starting at high noon, are Sartori Gold, The Doe, Taleggio (schmeared on crackers), and cheese curds. Two kinds of smokies (upscale Slim Jim's) and a little round of ring bologna (Winesburg Meats). A little white wine, and we're feeling fine. :cool:

Attachments

• 2017-01-22 22.09.32.jpg
    2017-01-22 22.09.32.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 2017-01-22 22.31.07.jpg
    2017-01-22 22.31.07.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 148
I made chicken piccata served over cappelini with a salad and toasted homemade bread. Used Penzeys Sandwich Sprinkle (it's like Italian seasoning) in the flour dredge as well as in the pasta. Need to make this more often :yum:

Attachments

• 1485145963169.jpg
    1485145963169.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Our "pick-pick-pick" included TJ's tiropitas, various cheeses from West Side Market in Cleveland, sausages too, and dried fruits, nuts, grapes...all sorts of things. :yum: The cheeses on my plate, starting at high noon, are Sartori Gold, The Doe, Taleggio (schmeared on crackers), and cheese curds. Two kinds of smokies (upscale Slim Jim's) and a little round of ring bologna (Winesburg Meats). A little white wine, and we're feeling fine. :cool:

What a tasty-looking spread of nibbles! :yum:

Thanks, GG. Didn't take long either: I got all the foods laid out in the time it took to bake the tyropitas (25 minutes). Since we used paper plates, it will take even less time to clean up! :LOL:

BTW, I love chicken piccata. Haven't made it for a while. You've given me an idea for an option sometime down the road...

I just put dinner in the oven. I'm making meatloaf with potatoes again with a twist this time. My large baking dish went out with the trash (now I gotta get a new one) and the bread pan I had for the meatloaf was too small to put potatoes around it. So.....I sprayed the pan, layered the potatoes in it, seasoned them with salt, pepper, garlic powder and some Parmesan cheese (but forgot the parsley), stirred them around a little, then put the meatloaf on top of them.

We'll see what's what in about an hour or so.

I found a recipe on an american site that sounded lovely, filled cannelloni with ricotta topping also known as cannelloni lasagna and I happen to have the type they ask for. So I madeit and they were as lovely as I thought they would be.

How ever the portion sizes is insane, it said 4 cannelloni per portion , so we are 2 adult and 1 small kid, so I made 10, scaled back on the cheese topping that was just way too much. So we manage to eat 2 cannellonis and salad and the daughter 2/3 of 1 and we were stuffed and didnt even have the monster portion salad shown or the garlic bread either. My husband has now two lunch boxes and he is happy with that.

Can you post the recipe, CP? It sounds delicious.

Cooking Goddess, I used to be on another forum, now gone and people always complained that Swedish 4 portions was only 2 portions.
I once made a southern dinner with deep fried everything ( it felt like that) and lots of cheese given to me by the other forum members. We where 4, we had the good luck of 2 friends coming over right at dinner time so we became 6 because we had left overs, there was no chance we could eat all that.

Next time I just make less.

Back
Top Bottom