Sunday 12/11/2016 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm having a pan roasted duck breast, bulgar pilaf and some veggie or other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lunch will be the big meal here today. Having one of DH's 10 brothers and his wife here. Fixing pork fajitas, lazy chile rellenos and apple pie with ice cream. Will have pizza for dinner while we watch the recorded Broncos game.

I got some nice steaks yesterday so we'll be having that with sauteed mushrooms & onions, baked potato and Caesar salad. I might do some GF garlic/herb bread as well.

I attended a Christmas party last night at the local Croatian Hall, and as I was leaving, the caterer asked if I wanted any sarma (Croatian cabbage rolls) to take with me. Of course I said yes.

So that's what I'm having tonight.

I attended a Christmas party last night at the local Croatian Hall, and as I was leaving, the caterer asked if I wanted any sarma (Croatian cabbage rolls) to take with me. Of course I said yes.

So that's what I'm having tonight.

Sounds delicious, Steve. Sarma is a widespread dish. My mom (immigrated from Armenia) made it regularly when I was a kid. If the filling was wrapped in cabbage or grape leaves, it was sarma. Same filling in hollowed out veggies like peppers, green tomatoes, zucchini and it was called dolma. We always had it with yogurt spooned on top.

Sounds delicious, Steve. Sarma is a widespread dish. My mom (immigrated from Armenia) made it regularly when I was a kid. If the filling was wrapped in cabbage or grape leaves, it was sarma. Same filling in hollowed out veggies like peppers, green tomatoes, zucchini and it was called dolma. We always had it with yogurt spooned on top.
It's funny how so many cultures share a love of the same foods. My Czech aunt Josefina used to make the same stuffed cabbage dish, but called it halupki.

The one difference I've seen with the Croatian version they make around here is that it's usually buried under a pile of sauerkraut, so it's stuffed cabbage topped with more cabbage. Okay by me. :)

We went out for lunch today at a Mexican restaurant and me being me, I just had to bring home an order of chicken nachos to heat up for supper. So there's my dinner, although I'm not sure I can wait till dinner to eat them. I love chicken nachos.

Everyone here is under the weather, so DW made her mom's Slovakian chicken soup.

It's a pretty basic chicken soup, with just onions, carrots, celery, a whole chicken, and bouillon, but then shortly before serving, par boiled mini potatoes are added.

Finally, a large amount of fresh parsley is stirred in, and it is served over skinny egg noodles.

We have a few leftovers (a grab-it bowl of ham/beans/collard greens), a bit of smothered chicken, and a 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes. I'll have to drag out a TJ's appetizer from the freezer, or the package of charcuterie I picked up there "just in case". Or we live off of our own padding, which would work too! :LOL:

It's funny how so many cultures share a love of the same foods. My Czech aunt Josefina used to make the same stuffed cabbage dish, but called it halupki.

The one difference I've seen with the Croatian version they make around here is that it's usually buried under a pile of sauerkraut, so it's stuffed cabbage topped with more cabbage. Okay by me. :)

When I visited Turkey, the tour guide in Istanbul told us that the origin of those types of preparations was the Sultan's chefs. For over 500 years, the Byzantine Empire controlled most of the countries on the Mediterranean and well north into eastern and central Europe, and took the army's recipes with them. So stuffed cabbage is basically stuffed grape leaves using local ingredients.

I felt the need for comfort food today so I made a meatloaf. Smells so good in here! :yum: But I'm running short of energy, so decided to make Stovetop Stuffing with extra onion and celery instead of mashed potatoes. DH is finishing up dinner - green beans simmered with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning and chicken broth. There's also no-knead bread. I'm going to see if DH wants to make gravy ;)

Back
Top Bottom