Sunday 20 January dinner, it's freezing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
It's frigid out there today....kinda makes you want to stay in the kitchen just to keep warm..

I'm making waffles with bananas foster for breakfast with huge mugs of piping hot coffee.

Chicken orzo soup with grilled gruyere on pumpernickle for lunch.

Lasagna with meatsauce, sausage and garlic bread, and caesar salad for dinner.

I casually mentioned peanut butter kiss cookies at dinner last night, so I am now obligated to bake a batch of those too ( like there's not still 12 pounds of chocolate cake left from last night:rolleyes:)

Stay warm everyone, and eat well!

You do overnight delivery on that lasagna??? LOL. Seriously though, do you have a favorite recipe on the Chicken orzo soup?
I am also on my second cup of coffee already ;)

Frigid here too, -9' Chill factor :ohmy: ! I will be putting a chuck roast in the oven with onions, potatoes, mushrooms and fresh green beans. (out of carrots) and coleslaw.

You do overnight delivery on that lasagna??? LOL. Seriously though, do you have a favorite recipe on the Chicken orzo soup?
I am also on my second cup of coffee already ;)

I sweat carrots, onions and celery with a bit of thyme just till they start to take on brown edges. Then, I add a half a small can of tomato paste, and cook that for about 5 minutes. I drop a whole, skinned chicken into the pot, and cover with water, plus about 4 inches, and let it simmer for 3 hours. Remove the chicken, and let it cool enough to handle. remove the meat from the bones and toss back into the soup. Depending on my time restraints and desire to wash another pot...I may or may not cook the orzo seperately. I add S&P, fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese to the pot, as well.

My red-head daughter is coming for dinner (noon) She loves 'Swimp' Po-boys and Zapps so that will be it. For supper tonight...left over Beef/vegetable soup. Maybe some cornbread.:ermm:

Going to make some sandwiches out of some leftover roast beef. I am going to shred it and add some BBQ sauce. I "have" to go to the store yet this morning and see what else to have. I am waiting until it get a little warmer before I go. It is still 10 degrees below zero. BRRRR. I don't know what the wind chill is.:glare:

its really cold for SE VA .. and there is a half inch of of snow on the grass ..
its should be total panic in no time ..
but i am making a beer can chicken on the grill at my 5yo sons request ..
also will throw a few smoked sausages on there .. made some awesome
baked mac and cheese last night .. so we will have some of that also ..
maybe some green beans .. or some steamed broccoli ...
think i ma going to make a cake today also ..
and plenty of football and a few Guiness ...

i'm soaking some navy beans for a soup today. will look at a u. s. senate bean soup recipe but will add some shredded sweet potatoes, some cubed parsnips a friend gave me this week, as well as a quart of canned yukon golds. making this with the honey baked ham bone.

also a fresh pan of corn bread. I make mine with equal parts of corn meal and whole wheat pastry flour, lard, couple of eggs, buttermilk and 2 T. sugar. Does that make it "northern" cornbread:LOL:

It was 3 degrees when DH got up this morning. It's up to about 9 now. We've got beef in the crock pot right now for vegetable/beef soup or beef'n noodles, or both. DH is always afraid we won't have enough meat, so he thawed two chuck roasts for just the two of us. :ohmy:

Guess what - it is cold here too - brrr. I am boiling up a chicken and making chicken and noodles later. Maybe a blackberry cobbler too.

Cold, cold, cold here. Single digits without wind chill.

Had a nice meal planned for tonight, but it looks like I'm going to have to reconsider. I turned my oven on to bake biscuits for breakfast...nothing. No oven. GRRRRR! Boo hiss! I was going to bake bread today, too.

I'll post later when I've figured out what I'm going to do.

I have a nice Black Angus Sirloin Tip Roast that is going in the slow cooker with some carrots, celery, onion, and red potatoes. But, before it hits the slow cooker I am slicing off about 1/3 of it to make Beef Stroganoff for lunch.
For desert, since we are both on diets (and much to the chagrin of the children) we are having peach slices with cottage cheese. Simple but tasty.

It is sixteen degrees here with the wind chill - 16 DEGREES! That doesn't happene here! Or hardly ever anyway. And I have to go out!

Tonight I'm making a major comfort food for me - Betty Crocker's chicken a la king over mashed potatoes.

Lamb stew is cooking away in the crockpot.

Might make some lemon squares with my meyer lemons.

Lee

Domatopiperies me kima

which is really just Greek stuffed tomotoes and green peppers. Potatoes
on the side and maybe some fried peppers too.

I have no idea what I'm having for dinner yet :huh: I didn't even have much of a brunch like I usually do.
On a day like today I just might heat up one of the shepherd's pies up I dished out last night, even though that's what I had last night for dinner. I might make some chicken wings, too..... I just found a package in the freezer and it looks like they need used up fast. Just a touch of freezer burn on some of them :(. As some know, I've been working on baking a loaf of bread since 6 this morning and it's finally done. Stupid machine. I just might sit in front of the TV with my loaf, a knife and some butter :LOL:

The first game is starting soon, so I'll figure it out later :-p

But I just have to say (since we're talking about it) what weird weather... it's been snowing all day, can't see 500 ft anywhere, and there isn't any more snow on the ground now than there was this morning. Sure the flakes are small cuz it's so cold.... but this is weird.
And appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom