Sunday 5/1/11 What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoked Tri-tip and twice baked potatoes. Sourdough chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache icing for dessert.

the big diet starts today. a skinless chicken thigh, probably on george forman, left over cauliflower, and another veggie yet to be named. when tues groceries are delivered will have more choices with some imagination.

We decided on a light supper as we needed the energy to shout for our home team who were playing rugby and desperately needed to win!

We had smoked springbuck carpaccio on fresh home grown garden rocket, baby rosa tomatoes, black and green olives, and two cheeses. We also had matzos! Yummy! :chef:

Very nice! What a great snack plate.

Oh, I forgot to say...
My freezer container was stuffed pepper soup, which I remember being very thick, so I peeled a couple small spuds and will serve it over mashed potatoes (with garlic and cream cheese). I also made a BIG salad using romaine, tomato, vidalia onions, carrots, Ken's Steakhouse blue cheese dressing and some crumbled blue cheese on top. Everything is ready to go as soon as I get hungry.

I fixed what I didn't last night. Pork Chop, Mashed Potatoes, Country Pepper Gravy, Spinach, Fried Granny Smith Apples and Butter Milk Biscuits. :BURP::chef:View attachment 10732

Last edited:
Meatloaf with stirfried yellow squash.

img_995266_0_6e82fa5bf3c20440571d90754f1d1166.jpg

It was my partner's birthday, so we went out with a bunch of friends. But I did whip up a birthday cake for him. He wanted a chocolate cake with some cherry flavor. So I made a chocolate torte with cherry buttercream icing spiked with a bit of kirsch, enrobed with dark chocolate ganache, topped with fresh whipped cream and cherries.

SG1L0153.JPG

I ended up making salisbury steaks with the hamburger and served it with glazed carrots and green beans and mashed taters and gravy.

We had roasted chicken, oven roasted garlic potato wedges and brocolli cauliflower salad. Dessert will be MsMofet's Tangerine cranberry nut bread, made into muffins. They are just about ready to come out of the oven and they smell terrific!

Tonight I made a delicious broiled salmon with a orange/ginger/soy/sesame oil sauce, served over brown rice, with some tasteless green beans.

the big diet starts today. a skinless chicken thigh, probably on george forman, left over cauliflower, and another veggie yet to be named. when tues groceries are delivered will have more choices with some imagination.

i ended up putting :chef:the chicken in a lemon pepper marinade, cooked spinach then stirred in a tablespoon hosin sauce. the cauliflower had a tiny bit of cheese. all and all a satisfying meal

Last edited:
Hamburger stew. :cool:
Like I said... *cough* Fend for yourself night. Chef Boyardee for James and I made some corn tortilla chips and had chips and salsa. (James didn't actually have to do any real "fending," as I brought it to him, but he chose his supper. LOL)

Maybe we will have hamburger stew tomorrow! :LOL:

Last edited:
It was my partner's birthday, so we went out with a bunch of friends. But I did whip up a birthday cake for him. He wanted a chocolate cake with some cherry flavor. So I made a chocolate torte with cherry buttercream icing spiked with a bit of kirsch, enrobed with dark chocolate ganache, topped with fresh whipped cream and cherries.

SG1L0153.JPG
Yes pretty please share your recipe and tips on the whipped cream.

Hi there, I'm trying out a new recipe from South Africa Food & Home Magazine - Dijon Chicken. Essentially chicken cooked in cider with fresh thyme and onions. The recipe also calls for steamed apples - does anybody know whether this is traditional to use in "Dijon chicken"?

bakechef that cake looks great! Could you tell me how you stabilize your whipped cream?
Thanks B

If I am going to eat the whipped cream the same day, I sweeten with powdered sugar, the corn starch in the powdered sugar stabilizes the cream quite well.

If I need it to last a day or more, I stabilize with gelatin, gelatin changes the texture a bit, makes it more spongy, but it holds up really well even when it needs to stay out of refrigeration for a while. This is the method that I use.

I whip the cream just until I can tip the bowl and it doesn't slide, nice and stiff, but be careful, you don't want to whip it too much.

Wilton Stabilized Whipped Cream Recipe - Food.com - 79506

I use the microwave. I put the gelatin and water in a small glass pinch bowl and let soften for a minute or two and pop it in the microwave until melted, about 10-15 seconds (you'll know when it is ready when it is clear).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom