Sunday 5/1/11 What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I need to spend some time using up entrees from the freezer. It's packed!!

There are several dishes I'd like to make, but I have to make more room in the freezer for leftovers.

So...Just reheating frozen entrees.

What are you planning on cooking, or are you cooking today?:chef:

Roast Beef, roasted root veggies, brussel sprouts and Yorkshire pudding today! One of our favorite meals. Oh yes, and sweet and sour relish to go with. Yum -- I can't wait for dinner.

I made a big breakfast sandwich with cappicola, american cheese and three over hard and killed eggs with green onions, on a big piece of toasted french bread. That will surely carry me over til dinnertime, if not further.
So if I am feeling hungry later, I will see what is in the container I took out of the freezer a couple days ago and go from there.

Hi gang, it's ma's Sunday once again. Today grilling 2 tri tip, we will also have peppadew's stuffed with pesto creaam cheese, strawberry toasts, potato and macaroni salads, garlic bread with romano cheese, broccoli and cauliflower well cheesed with the kids favorite Velvetta, lemonade, Lauries recipe for cake made with splenda and dressed with sliced strawberries and vanilla ice cream. That's it folks. Happy Sunday to you all.
kadesma

Made an Italian style fritata for breakfast/brunch and now we are stuffed. It will be a while before I want to think about food.:ohmy: Probably something lite though.

Craig

Crock Pot Beef Stew w/carrots, peas, oven roasted corn and Yukon Gold potatoes. Fresh, homemade apple pie for dessert.

SO wanted chicken with pickled peppers but I'm not in the mood for that for dinner.

We're having roast chicken, pilaf and glazed carrots.

I haven't decided yet. I have some chicken and some hamburger in the fridge. I can make several different dishes. I'll wait a while and see what floats my boat come dinner time.

Sunday Brunch - pear and mango fruit salad with creme frachaise, 2 eggs, 4 bacon, hash browns, 2 biscuits & gravy, mimosas, and coffee

Sunday Dinner - strawberry romaine salad with apple poppyseed dressing, sesame chicken, brown rice, mixed vegetables, egg rolls with sweet & sour dipping sauce, and a 2009 Vina Baccana Friuli Grave Pinot Grigio

I had leftover angelhair pasta and mushroom tomato sauce from last night. So I added grated romano and parmesan and fried it in a small amount of EVOO to a nice brown crust flip and repeat. That was brunch.

It seems there's a theme of leftovers among some of us. I have some of the meat mixture I used to stuff cabbage leaves with for an eastern European dinner party a few weeks ago (it was frozen). I'm going to make meatballs. Husband always likes them because they look cute (because of the raw rice as the starch binder, they turn into little porcupines). Haven't quite settled on the sauce (they need to be cooked at least partially in liquid to reconstitute the rice). Broth, tomato, gravy, cream? The main side will be grilled zuchini and eggplant on the griddler. We're debating on whether or not we need a starch (a fair amount of rice in the meatballs, husband doesn't need a lot of carbs for supper tonight)

It seems there's a theme of leftovers among some of us. I have some of the meat mixture I used to stuff cabbage leaves with for an eastern European dinner party a few weeks ago (it was frozen). I'm going to make meatballs. Husband always likes them because they look cute (because of the raw rice as the starch binder, they turn into little porcupines). Haven't quite settled on the sauce (they need to be cooked at least partially in liquid to reconstitute the rice). Broth, tomato, gravy, cream? The main side will be grilled zuchini and eggplant on the griddler. We're debating on whether or not we need a starch (a fair amount of rice in the meatballs, husband doesn't need a lot of carbs for supper tonight)

I made Porcupines with taco meat mixture and wild rice blend. It was great served with warm salsa.

Re the leftover theme, we get such good ideas here that we have great leftovers. Since I've been living alone, I fill up the freezer then have plenty of dinners to choose from. It's hard when I've shopped and stocked and have new dishes to try, but the freezer is pretty full.

I took out two containers, one with the beef stew I made from rib eye steak (very tender), and a container of mixed lima beans/split pea soup made with smoked turkey neck bones.

That will make room for the Portabella mushroom gravy using PF's recipe.:chef:

Light finger supper

We decided on a light supper as we needed the energy to shout for our home team who were playing rugby and desperately needed to win!

We had smoked springbuck carpaccio on fresh home grown garden rocket, baby rosa tomatoes, black and green olives, and two cheeses. We also had matzos! Yummy! :chef:

Attachments

• IMG_3160.JPG
    IMG_3160.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 157
Stir fry (b/s chicken breast, carrots, onions, mushroom caps, celery, bok choy bottoms, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, sherry, cashews, ground sea salt, ground peppercorns, peanut oil & hot chili Oil, cornstarch and chicken stock) garnished with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds and salad (red and green butter lettuce, vine tomato, sliced mushroom and raw broccoli) dressed with homemade poppy seed dressing.

img_995226_0_ae0cf17dc4f8ecefd784d98dc014703b.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom