Sunday 6th November 2011, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eating vegetarian tonight. By some standards ;)
:LOL: I didn't feel like making bacon and hearing my older girl complain. I don't know where I went wrong!! She doesn't like bacon. The only way she will eat bacon is in my corn and bacon waffles - she LOVES them.

:LOL: I didn't feel like making bacon and hearing my older girl complain. I don't know where I went wrong!! She doesn't like bacon. The only way she will eat bacon is in my corn and bacon waffles - she LOVES them.

Priceless! :LOL:
You may need to start small, turn her on to another breakfast meat, like sausage links or patties, maybe ham steaks :LOL:
Bacon wasn't always one of my favorite meats. Now look at me :rolleyes:

So, Pacanis' Personal Pigskin Challenge had my Brownies playing the Texans... and getting their butt kicked. And today's dinner was "authentic" TX chili con carne, the state dish of Texas. At least this was as authentic as I could research.
Chili con carne, chili peppers with meat, and that's what I made. No tomato products at all, I made a chili paste with peppers, cumin, salt, pepper and a little water and added it to my meat (ribeye steak and smoked pulled pork) along with beef stock, water, beer and a couple other items ;)
I said a while back that I may never make chili with beans again, I haven't, and I'm saying now, I may never make chili again with tomato products... until my team plays Cincinnati again anyway :LOL:

Very tasty and intense.
Texas Red. Not to be confused with the other Texas Red, sulforhodamine 101 acid chloride :)

Attachments

• PPPC week-9 Texans Chili.jpg
    PPPC week-9 Texans Chili.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 163
Mmmm, Pac. I can almost smell it from here! Looks yummy!

Where do you live? The winds are out of the south today. Maybe you can smell it! :LOL:

Thanks :) I've been smelling this chili since 8:30 this morning, Dawg. :chef:

pacanis said:
Where do you live? The winds are out of the south today. Maybe you can smell it! :LOL:

Thanks :) I've been smelling this chili since 8:30 this morning, Dawg. :chef:

Maybe I DID smell it! We had some pretty strong winds today, starting about 9:30 or so!

Thought I detected something yummy!

Last edited:
That really looks good. I'll bet it tastes great too. It's cool that your personal football challenge has turned you on to a chili you like better than what you have been making.

I make a chili recipe based on Wick Fowler's championship winner. I started by buying his seasoning mix and took it from there.

I think most chili recipes contain way way too much tomato. I use 8 ounces of tomato sauce in a recipe with two pounds of meat. While it's probably not authentic, I like it that way.

That said, I'd bet beans were a part of early chili recipes. They were common fare as they were cheap protein that kept well dried. It makes sense to me that cooks added beans to chili to stretch the pot to feed more people longer. Or, to look at it the other way around, perhaps chili was born out of ways to doctor up a bean dish. A pot of the same old beans with some beef, chile peppers and other seasonings added were probably an immediate hit.

Pardon my sermon, I must be channeling the Chief...

Tonight is Vegetarian Lasagne with garlic, onion, mushrooms, spinach, and 3 types of cheese.

We had Pot Roast, with potatoes. carrots and onions cooked around the roast, yummy gravy to smother the spuds. Broccoli and cauliflower on the side. Just an old fashioned Sunday dinner, nothing fancy, but very tasty.

I made the polish sausage, but I paired it with mixed vegetables. On the side, mashed potatoes that were made with butter, milk, chives and sautéed onion.

img_1068412_0_37a78a2d2eeb1c3a197cf0a99f5e5901.jpg

img_1068412_1_bf1c5451df238cf8dcdd4775b87a4c1d.jpg

Vanilla Bean said:
I made the polish sausage, but I paired it with mixed vegetables. On the side, mashed potatoes that were made with butter, milk, chives and sautéed onion.

Nice,VB!

Sigh, so many lovely dinners.

very nice sounding dinners, everyone. and nice job, pac and vb.

pac, that's interesting how you made your chili con carne. i'm guessing a lot of the spices and chilies you used were red, hence the colour. what kind of peppers did you use?

i'm going to have to try that one day.

the little guy is still sick, and i'm completely burned out from work so we just got chinese takeout, watched the jets and giants games today, and had mad three way battles of beyblades (battling/spinning tops).

we got wonton soup, shrimp with broccoli, chicken with snow peas, shrimp in lobster sauce, and young chow fried rice.

very nice sounding dinners, everyone. and nice job, pac and vb.

pac, that's interesting how you made your chili con carne. i'm guessing a lot of the spices and chilies you used were red, hence the colour. what kind of peppers did you use?

i'm going to have to try that one day...

Thanks. Here's the recipe I used.
True Texas Chili Recipe at Epicurious.com

I did not make quite so much paste because I was not using 2 lbs of meat, but you can see how it still colored the chili reddish. I used dried chili peppers.

That was a good read, Andy. Not longwinded at all ;)
I tend to agree with you on the beans. You would certainly think they would have added them, or built the dish around them.

Very colorful dish, VB. Everything really jumps out on that green plate.

Priceless! :LOL:
You may need to start small, turn her on to another breakfast meat, like sausage links or patties, maybe ham steaks :LOL:
Bacon wasn't always one of my favorite meats. Now look at me :rolleyes:

So, Pacanis' Personal Pigskin Challenge had my Brownies playing the Texans... and getting their butt kicked. And today's dinner was "authentic" TX chili con carne, the state dish of Texas. At least this was as authentic as I could research.
Chili con carne, chili peppers with meat, and that's what I made. No tomato products at all, I made a chili paste with peppers, cumin, salt, pepper and a little water and added it to my meat (ribeye steak and smoked pulled pork) along with beef stock, water, beer and a couple other items ;)
I said a while back that I may never make chili with beans again, I haven't, and I'm saying now, I may never make chili again with tomato products... until my team plays Cincinnati again anyway :LOL:

Very tasty and intense.
Texas Red. Not to be confused with the other Texas Red, sulforhodamine 101 acid chloride :)
She likes ALL of those and taylor ham (pork roll) just NOT bacon so much. She doesn't like the fat. She isn't very happy when I use the fat to fry things in. LOL "The fat is why I don't like bacon much MOM! Now you're frying in it? <eye rolls>" :LOL:

Nice dinner Pac

img_1068465_0_37a78a2d2eeb1c3a197cf0a99f5e5901.jpg

img_1068465_1_bf1c5451df238cf8dcdd4775b87a4c1d.jpg
That looks sp good VB. Your potatoes sound so good. I love chives and onion in/on potatoes. I have never put sauteed onion in my mashed but I will have to try that.

That looks sp good VB. Your potatoes sound so good. I love chives and onion in/on potatoes. I have never put sauteed onion in my mashed but I will have to try that.
BTW What kicks these pictures over the top is the green plate. The green really highlights the colors of the food.

Thanks. Here's the recipe I used.
True Texas Chili Recipe at Epicurious.com

I did not make quite so much paste because I was not using 2 lbs of meat, but you can see how it still colored the chili reddish. I used dried chili peppers.

That was a good read, Andy. Not longwinded at all ;)
I tend to agree with you on the beans. You would certainly think they would have added them, or built the dish around them.

Very colorful dish, VB. Everything really jumps out on that green plate.

you got some people pretty excited with your "bowl 'o red", pac. i'm one of them--still thinking about that texan chili today. gotta try making a bowl 'o my own soon....:)

you got some people pretty excited with your "bowl 'o red", pac. i'm one of them--still thinking about that texan chili today. gotta try making a bowl 'o my own soon....:)

I'll be incorporating a little of that chili into this Sunday's dish :chef:
I love multi-tasking ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom