"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #31
Executive Chef

We had Pot Roast, with potatoes. carrots and onions cooked around the roast, yummy gravy to smother the spuds. Broccoli and cauliflower on the side. Just an old fashioned Sunday dinner, nothing fancy, but very tasty.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #32
Master Chef

I made the polish sausage, but I paired it with mixed vegetables. On the side, mashed potatoes that were made with butter, milk, chives and sautéed onion.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean
I made the polish sausage, but I paired it with mixed vegetables. On the side, mashed potatoes that were made with butter, milk, chives and sautéed onion.
Nice,VB!

Sigh, so many lovely dinners.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

very nice sounding dinners, everyone. and nice job, pac and vb.

pac, that's interesting how you made your chili con carne. i'm guessing a lot of the spices and chilies you used were red, hence the colour. what kind of peppers did you use?

i'm going to have to try that one day.

the little guy is still sick, and i'm completely burned out from work so we just got chinese takeout, watched the jets and giants games today, and had mad three way battles of beyblades (battling/spinning tops).

we got wonton soup, shrimp with broccoli, chicken with snow peas, shrimp in lobster sauce, and young chow fried rice.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
very nice sounding dinners, everyone. and nice job, pac and vb.

pac, that's interesting how you made your chili con carne. i'm guessing a lot of the spices and chilies you used were red, hence the colour. what kind of peppers did you use?

i'm going to have to try that one day...
Thanks. Here's the recipe I used.
True Texas Chili Recipe at Epicurious.com

I did not make quite so much paste because I was not using 2 lbs of meat, but you can see how it still colored the chili reddish. I used dried chili peppers.

That was a good read, Andy. Not longwinded at all
I tend to agree with you on the beans. You would certainly think they would have added them, or built the dish around them.

Very colorful dish, VB. Everything really jumps out on that green plate.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Priceless!
You may need to start small, turn her on to another breakfast meat, like sausage links or patties, maybe ham steaks
Bacon wasn't always one of my favorite meats. Now look at me

So, Pacanis' Personal Pigskin Challenge had my Brownies playing the Texans... and getting their butt kicked. And today's dinner was "authentic" TX chili con carne, the state dish of Texas. At least this was as authentic as I could research.
Chili con carne, chili peppers with meat, and that's what I made. No tomato products at all, I made a chili paste with peppers, cumin, salt, pepper and a little water and added it to my meat (ribeye steak and smoked pulled pork) along with beef stock, water, beer and a couple other items
I said a while back that I may never make chili with beans again, I haven't, and I'm saying now, I may never make chili again with tomato products... until my team plays Cincinnati again anyway

Very tasty and intense.
Texas Red. Not to be confused with the other Texas Red, sulforhodamine 101 acid chloride
She likes ALL of those and taylor ham (pork roll) just NOT bacon so much. She doesn't like the fat. She isn't very happy when I use the fat to fry things in. LOL "The fat is why I don't like bacon much MOM! Now you're frying in it? <eye rolls>"

Nice dinner Pac
Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post

That looks sp good VB. Your potatoes sound so good. I love chives and onion in/on potatoes. I have never put sauteed onion in my mashed but I will have to try that.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
That looks sp good VB. Your potatoes sound so good. I love chives and onion in/on potatoes. I have never put sauteed onion in my mashed but I will have to try that.
BTW What kicks these pictures over the top is the green plate. The green really highlights the colors of the food.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks. Here's the recipe I used.
True Texas Chili Recipe at Epicurious.com

I did not make quite so much paste because I was not using 2 lbs of meat, but you can see how it still colored the chili reddish. I used dried chili peppers.

That was a good read, Andy. Not longwinded at all
I tend to agree with you on the beans. You would certainly think they would have added them, or built the dish around them.

Very colorful dish, VB. Everything really jumps out on that green plate.
you got some people pretty excited with your "bowl 'o red", pac. i'm one of them--still thinking about that texan chili today. gotta try making a bowl 'o my own soon....
Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
you got some people pretty excited with your "bowl 'o red", pac. i'm one of them--still thinking about that texan chili today. gotta try making a bowl 'o my own soon....
I'll be incorporating a little of that chili into this Sunday's dish
I love multi-tasking

Tags
dinner