Sunday 7/9/2017 What are you eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
At the moment family wants beef stroganoff, egg noodles and steamed broccoli. I picked up some frozen puff pastry yesterday so I am thinking maybe cherry turnovers for dessert. I have never used puff pastry before. Should be fun.

We went shopping yesterday and have a lot to choose from, but haven't decided yet. We will be making a broth for Pho though.

At the moment family wants beef stroganoff, egg noodles and steamed broccoli. I picked up some frozen puff pastry yesterday so I am thinking maybe cherry turnovers for dessert. I have never used puff pastry before. Should be fun.

Change of plans. Pan fried ham steak, mash potatoes and baby spinach/baby kale sautéed in smoked olive oil and ham drippings.

No turnovers because family doesn't deserve them.

Way to go, msmofet! I like your style. ;) You learn them a lesson or two.

Supper is "fend for yourself". I made huge egg/bacon/cheese sammies on brioche buns for blupper, and have sworn off fixing anything later. We'll see how true I stay to my pledge. :LOL:

I'm having a glass of Cabernet, the boyfriend had chicken and egg noodles, the dogs have made me batty today but they got a leftover porkchop, I may have chips and salsa later....
We all have such different tastes, if my 13 year old was here he would have wanted fish, tacos, or hotdogs :/

Change of plans. Pan fried ham steak, mash potatoes and baby spinach/baby kale sautéed in smoked olive oil and ham drippings.

No turnovers because family doesn't deserve them.
:ROFLMAO: That's hilarious, shame on them and good for you because let me tell you, I'm your biggest fan (always liked your food pictures), I would have been good as gold!

After making cherry preserves/jelly, I got lazy, made quick meat sauce and elborony instead of spaghetti and garlic bread. My wife doesn't like spaghetti.:chef:

To beat the heat, I'm using my Nesco roaster today.

Kalua Pig is smelling wonderful in there right now, and when it's done and removed, I'll use the roaster to braise the cabbage in some of the liquid from the pork. Jasmine rice on the side, and we'll be set!

After making cherry preserves/jelly, I got lazy, made quick meat sauce and elborony instead of spaghetti and garlic bread. My wife doesn't like spaghetti.:chef:
I love spaghetti, the boyfriend doesn't! The jelly looks great!

To beat the heat, I'm using my Nesco roaster today. ...
I don't have a proper oven and not familiar enough with my Nesco roaster to think to use it. Going to have to change that.
...Kalua Pig is smelling wonderful in there right now, and when it's done and removed, I'll use the roaster to braise the cabbage in some of the liquid from the pork. Jasmine rice on the side, and we'll be set!
Kalua Pig?? Looked around and found some of your posts from April and May. Also this one on Epicurious, but got my doubts about it. The Epicurious recipe has you pouring plain water, salt, and liquid smoke over the pulled pork and doesn't even mention the drippings that must either leak out during cooking or gush out when you remove the foil and leaves. If you have the time, I'd like to hear more about your Kalua Pig in the Nesco. Found some of your earlier posts describing it as a crock pot recipe. Do you use a bag in the Nesco? Raise up the roast on a rack or let it braise on the floor? Or do you have a pot that fits into the roaster?

Everyone's meals sound wonderful.
Family pushed every last button today!!
I may make a SINGLE turnover for myself.

I don't have a proper oven and not familiar enough with my Nesco roaster to think to use it. Going to have to change that.

Kalua Pig?? Looked around and found some of your posts from April and May. Also this one on Epicurious, but got my doubts about it. The Epicurious recipe has you pouring plain water, salt, and liquid smoke over the pulled pork and doesn't even mention the drippings that must either leak out during cooking or gush out when you remove the foil and leaves. If you have the time, I'd like to hear more about your Kalua Pig in the Nesco. Found some of your earlier posts describing it as a crock pot recipe. Do you use a bag in the Nesco? Raise up the roast on a rack or let it braise on the floor? Or do you have a pot that fits into the roaster?

Thanks for asking SL. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/crock-pot-kalua-pig-65081.html
I like it much better made in my 6 qt Nesco Roaster! I cut the boneless pork shoulder into about 6 chunks for more seasoning surface area, and faster cooking. You don't need any rack, or water as it releases a lot of liquor in the pot. I set it at 250 degrees and it was fork tender and ready to shred in 4 hrs. Reserve the juices to pour over the shredded meat and to also cook the cabbage in the roaster. Hope this helps.

Thanks for asking SL. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/crock-pot-kalua-pig-65081.html
I like it much better made in my 6 qt Nesco Roaster! I cut the boneless pork shoulder into about 6 chunks for more seasoning surface area, and faster cooking. You don't need any rack, or water as it releases a lot of liquor in the pot. I set it at 250 degrees and it was fork tender and ready to shred in 4 hrs. Reserve the juices to pour over the shredded meat and to also cook the cabbage in the roaster. Hope this helps.
I see. My Nesco is 18 quart, big enough for a 22 lb turkey. Thanks for the information. Will definitely be trying some variation of it in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom