Sunday At Ma's November 3, 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, they do, and thanks for your tips. :yum: I also usually try to have pork necks on hand in the freezer for bean soups....necks are awesome, they have so much flavor and the meat is so tender.

Pork necks? I haven't seen those. Sounds like I'm missing something good. I do see smoked pork necks, but once they are smoked, there's no meat left. Good for flavoring beans, but no meat.

Last edited:
Pork necks? I haven't seen those. Sounds like I'm missing something good. I do see smoked pork necks, but once they are smoked, there's no meat left. Good for flavoring beans, but no meat.

I see fresh pork neck bones. They're used in tomato sauce to flavor it.

I see fresh pork neck bones. They're used in tomato sauce to flavor it.

The turkey necks I find are loaded with meat. The pork neck bones here are dessicated with no salveagable meat, but a nice smoked flavor.

I'd love to find pork neck bones with meat on them. Hmmm, yumm.

Yes, pork neck bones don't have much meat. :LOL: You'd think they would, but they don't. I buy them several at a time because the meat is so good and it's worth it to me to pick the meat off and use it in bean soups. I usually ask the butcher at the market to save some for me. :)

Wow, Cheryl, you have a butcher that you can actually talk to? I'm jealous!

I probably could talk to a butcher at Rouses, but I rarely get there. I'll have to try them again soon.

Rouses isn't that far and they do have the most wonderful meats and seafood. i've had a huge hankering for some oyster stew. I know it isn't the season, but I've waited all summer for them to come up with it on their weekly ads with no luck

Now that I've had that excellent bonus from overpaying my rent. I guess I deserve a free visit to Rouses.

Thanks, Cheryl - See... you've inspired me.

Last edited:
We made the trek to Costco today too! Only a 1/2 hour for us, we also hit a couple of grocery stores (Mother Hubbard's cupboard was pretty bare). Not a lot of nibblies at our Costco, so we needed to make dinner when we got home. We had pork chops mashed potatoes and gravy and salad. I had 1/2 a butternut squash in the fridge DH won't touch it with a 10 foot pole, but is all too eager to remind me that I "need to do something with that, before it goes bad". I decided it would go really well with pork so I peeled and cubed it and sautéed it in butter with chopped onion, a pinch of sage and a pinch of parsley, salt and Really cute! Are the pants mainly too?pepper. It was divine! It was superb with the pork chop. A great change from my usual baked with butter and this was faster and better IMO ;). I think we may have ice cream for dessert. Or maybe I will just have more squash! image-2246978433.jpg

Last edited:
Mmmmm, SomeBunny. I love squash too. Yummmmm.

What else did you get, and what are your plans to cook?

Might help you!?!?!

I think that since I'm so rich this month I'll just have to make a trip to Rouses.

I can talk to the butchers there. To be continued, Cheryl.:LOL:

XOX

Z

Last edited:
We made the trek to Costco today too! Only a 1/2 hour for us, we also hit a couple of grocery stores (Mother Hubbard's cupboard was pretty bare). Not a lot of nibblies at our Costco, so we needed to make dinner when we got home. We had pork chops mashed potatoes and gravy and salad. I had 1/2 a butternut squash in the fridge DH won't touch it with a 10 foot pole, but is all too eager to remind me that I "need to do something with that, before it goes bad". I decided it would go really well with pork so I peeled and cubed it and sautéed it in butter with chopped onion, a pinch of sage and a pinch of parsley, salt and pepper. It was divine! It was superb with the pork chop. A great change from my usual baked with butter and this was faster and better IMO ;). I think we may have ice cream for dessert. Or maybe I will just have more squash!
Haha ! There's something weird going in with my post, somehow a part of a text between my daughter and I got inserted in my post that's odd! Spooky!! " Really cute! Are the pants mainly too?" Oh and I also didn't type the word "spooky" above, I don't know where that came from yikes!

Last edited:
so this is how harry's sunday unfolded.gales abated,rain stopped,sun came out "'arry" thinks i,"'arry it's a perfect day to visit mum" so off i toddles towards chester to pay a surprise visit on ma.i stopped off at tesco to pick up some flowers,a box of mum's favourite "lindt suisse pralines" & a bag of prawn crackers...mum loves her prawn crackers and,even at 98 years of age she is still bright as a button with a killer right hook...forget the prawn crackers at your peril m'lad:ohmy:!!whilst in said emporium of delights i was wondering what to cook for my evening repast.as i walked past the butchery dept i happened to notice they were flogging off fillet steak tips about £8/$12 per kilo £4/$6 per lb cheaper than the mid cuts.quick as a flash(flash harry:rolleyes:!)i thought beef stroganoff.perfect for a quick & easy meal with bags of flavour.few simple ingredients,few minutes prep & even less time to cook...perfick!!
beef stroganoff served,as they do in parts of russia & iran,with matchstick fries.washed down with smirnoff black & tonic on the rocks...colder than a cossacks nose(in keeping with the dishes soviet origins) huzzah!!

Everything of which you make looks so very good! I do love to see of these. Maybe one day I shall be the half of a cook as you!

I made DA of grilled salmon, long grain and wild rice with a tomato salsa on the top of it, and steamed peas. I am still of fighting of my abcess of my tooth, so I had of cottage cheese and Campbell's chicken noodle soup and milk.

With love,
~Cat

Cream of broccoli and potato soup tonight with shaved Parmesan on top, and toasted French bread on the side. It was wonderfully delicious and can't wait to have leftovers tomorrow. :)
011.jpg

Cream of broccoli and potato soup tonight with shaved Parmesan on top, and toasted French bread on the side. It was wonderfully delicious and can't wait to have leftovers tomorrow. :)
View attachment 19429

Now, that looks and sounds mighty tastyl You're making me hungry. Please tell me how you made that broccoli soup. I'd like to try it.

We made the trek to Costco today too! Only a 1/2 hour for us, we also hit a couple of grocery stores (Mother Hubbard's cupboard was pretty bare). Not a lot of nibblies at our Costco, so we needed to make dinner when we got home. We had pork chops mashed potatoes and gravy and salad. I had 1/2 a butternut squash in the fridge DH won't touch it with a 10 foot pole, but is all too eager to remind me that I "need to do something with that, before it goes bad". I decided it would go really well with pork so I peeled and cubed it and sautéed it in butter with chopped onion, a pinch of sage and a pinch of parsley, salt and Really cute! Are the pants mainly too?pepper. It was divine! It was superb with the pork chop. A great change from my usual baked with butter and this was faster and better IMO ;). I think we may have ice cream for dessert. Or maybe I will just have more squash! View attachment 19427
looks deelish sb,nice job:chef:!!

Everything of which you make looks so very good! I do love to see of these. Maybe one day I shall be the half of a cook as you!

I made DA of grilled salmon, long grain and wild rice with a tomato salsa on the top of it, and steamed peas. I am still of fighting of my abcess of my tooth, so I had of cottage cheese and Campbell's chicken noodle soup and milk.

With love,
~Cat
thanks cat.hope the tooth gets better soon.you'll find most of what i've cooked & posted on here:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/food-photos-80448.html

View attachment 19429
looks & sounds darn tasty chezza,pure comfort:chef:!had the first frost of the winter last night,going to be one of those fab,cold & sunny days today.could do with a bowl of that soup right now mate:yum:!!

The turkey necks I find are loaded with meat. The pork neck bones here are dessicated with no salveagable meat, but a nice smoked flavor.

I'd love to find pork neck bones with meat on them. Hmmm, yumm.

Yes, pork neck bones don't have much meat. :LOL: You'd think they would, but they don't. I buy them several at a time because the meat is so good and it's worth it to me to pick the meat off and use it in bean soups. I usually ask the butcher at the market to save some for me. :)
i think turkey necks are the exceptions in the "world of necks".the one's i get are loaded with meat too:yum:.maybe it's something to do with the length of the neck & the amount of muscle needed to support the head? if so bring me that giraffe:rolleyes::LOL:!!never seen pork necks but all of the butchers over here sell lamb neck or "scrag end" chops from the neck of the lamb.not much meat but bloody tasty.perfect in casseroles & tagines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom