"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Sunday At Ma's November 3, 2013

I'm feeding my gang what are you planning? I have ribs going, planning to make mac and cheese with Cheddar ,Monterey jack Parmesan, in a white sauce, green salad with tomato, red onion, avocado, garlic bread bbq sauce to go over the ribs apple sauce with cinnamon. Ok that's what we are having how about you. Care to share? Oh almost forgot Ice cream with either fudge sauce or caramel.
kades

Old 11-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Master Chef

Mmm....sounds good, kades. And you are getting an early start.

The cream of potato soup posts got to me so today's menu will be a variation of that - I have some broccoli that needs used, so it will be cream of broccoli and potato soup. Will need to get going on the prep work for that in a bit.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Cooking at Zhizara's

I'm going full throttle in the kitchen today. Shopping was Friday so I've got lots of goodies.

Yesterday I cooked up a nice thick hunk of turkey neck and made stock. I saved 2 cups of the stock to make gravy for stew and stripped off the neck meat this morning.

I couldn't find a 1# bag of regular carrots so I'm simmering a whole 2# for the freezer minus enough for the stew, and enough for the dilled mashed potatoes.

Ready to start: 2 sliced yellow squash and a pack of green onions

Next: 3 big russet potatoes for garlic mashed and dilled potatoes mashed with some of the carrots

I need more taco meat so I've got the hamburger and some ground sausage thawing to start later.

I think that's enough to keep me busy today!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Morning kades!

The time changed for us last night, and for some unearthly reason I was wide awake at 430 this morning! I prepped a meatloaf for dinner tonight, and I think there will be mashed potatoes with gravy, some fresh corn I blanched and froze this summer, and then home made Saskatoon pie with ice cream and coffee for dessert. I did all the prep at 6 am, had my first coffee and was out the door by 8. Now I'm ready for a nap
Old 11-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Mmm....sounds good, kades. And you are getting an early start. The cream of potato soup posts got to me so today's menu will be a variation of that - I have some broccoli that needs used, so it will be cream of broccoli and potato soup. Will need to get going on the prep work for that in a bit.
This sounds great Cheryl!
Old 11-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Executive Chef

so this is how harry's sunday unfolded.gales abated,rain stopped,sun came out "'arry" thinks i,"'arry it's a perfect day to visit mum" so off i toddles towards chester to pay a surprise visit on ma.i stopped off at tesco to pick up some flowers,a box of mum's favourite "lindt suisse pralines" & a bag of prawn crackers...mum loves her prawn crackers and,even at 98 years of age she is still bright as a button with a killer right hook...forget the prawn crackers at your peril m'lad!!whilst in said emporium of delights i was wondering what to cook for my evening repast.as i walked past the butchery dept i happened to notice they were flogging off fillet steak tips about 8/$12 per kilo 4/$6 per lb cheaper than the mid cuts.quick as a flash(flash harry!)i thought beef stroganoff.perfect for a quick & easy meal with bags of flavour.few simple ingredients,few minutes prep & even less time to cook...perfick!!
beef stroganoff served,as they do in parts of russia & iran,with matchstick fries.washed down with smirnoff black & tonic on the rocks...colder than a cossacks nose(in keeping with the dishes soviet origins) huzzah!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STROGANOFF 001.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	19402   Click image for larger version

Name:	STROGANOFF 002.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	19403  

Name:	STROGANOFF 003.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	19404   Click image for larger version

Name:	STROGANOFF 004.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	19405  

Name:	STROGANOFF 005.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	19406   Click image for larger version

Name:	STROGANOFF 007.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	19407  

Name:	STROGANOFF 008.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	19408   Click image for larger version

Name:	STROGANOFF 009.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	19409  

Name:	STROGANOFF 010.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	19410   Click image for larger version

Name:	STROGANOFF 011.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	19411  

Name:	STROGANOFF 015.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	19412  
Old 11-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Repeat of last night's menu since there were loads and loads of leftovers and we'll be eating at a friend's home tomorrow night. Rather not keep things too long in the fridge, lest they become UFOs - unidentified food objects.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Sous Chef

It's going to be a simple supper tonight. Cut up some potatoes and boil them up in a pot. When they are about halfway cooked I'll throw in a good hunk of Polish Sausage. We'll have a cucumber salad with sour cream and a nice piece of Beinesticht for dessert.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I announced "It's meatloaf today" and heard back "I don't think the 49ers are playing today". One of the strangest I've heard, so whatever I put with the meatloaf probably doesn't matter.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Master Chef

Yummy sounding meals here. I can never get enough meatloaf, still have some sliced and frozen for when that meatloaf sammie hankerin' comes along.

Harry, sounds like you and your momma had such a nice Sunday. 98 years old....wow! Good son, ya are. Great looking stroganoff....I've been craving that lately, too....and yes, it must include real sour cream!