"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 08-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #11
Master Chef
If the ham thaws out I will make Jambalaya. It is does not thaw out I am not sure what I will be having.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #12
Head Chef
I made my first 2 loaves of french bread today...so we're having shrimp scampi to go with

Practice random acts of kindness.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
We had our family dinner at my younder daughters today. I have to say, it was nice to sit on my errr, pin cushion and watch the boys play and hold Olivia I did help a little, I put together the rigatoni with pesto and an appy of dried apricots, stuffed with cream cheese and candied walnuts, then I drizzled them with rosemary honey..We had lemon pepper chicken breasts that we grilled then we spooned on a butter lemon chopped parsley and a little crushed garlic sauce, a bif tosssed salad with garden tomatoes and cucumbers, red onion,endive,feta and a balsamic and evoo dressing, rolls, grilled eggplant and asparagus, brownies and lemon cake..Ahhh it was nice not to have to clean it all up either

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:58 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Ya know, as soon as I saw this thread I thought "hmm, I bet kadesma had something wonderful." I hit the nail on the head!

I had pasta that I tossed with pesto, ham, sauteed mushrooms and delicious orange tomatoes. It was tasty but I still wish I had what kadesma did.
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:36 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by corazon90
Ya know, as soon as I saw this thread I thought "hmm, I bet kadesma had something wonderful." I hit the nail on the head!
shootin' fish in a barrel.

vb, did you make your own brasciole? if so, what cut of meat for the scallopini?
was it a sunday gravy, or cooked seperate-ish? fresh tomatoes for the sugo?
i need to know, darnit!!! i'm hungry.

about to feast on my leftover brasciole, the last two. and a hunk o' calandra's bread.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:55 AM   #16
Executive Chef
Good morning Bucky!

Yes, it was a traditional sunday gravy, although I made it Saturday while I was smoking those ribs. I use boneless sirloin sliced about 1/4 inch thick and then pounded a bit for the brasciola. I stuff it with parsley, garlic, pignoli nuts and grated locatelli cheese. I still have two or three left over...want one?
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:17 AM   #17
Master Chef
Last night I tried something new, & it was really quite delicious.

Although I'm not normally a fan of processed food, I picked up a package of Shady Brook Farms marinated turkey strips on sale. Bought the "Chipotle Citrus" flavor. Sauteed up some red bell pepper, mildly hot banana pepper, & Vidalia onion; shredded some lettuce, cilantro, & sharp cheddar cheese; warmed up some whole-wheat flour tortillas; then sauteed up the marinated turkey strips. We then each made our own whatever-you-want-to-call-them - fajitas, soft tacos, burritos - you get the idea.

I'll definitely be buying these again. We each had 4 LARGE tortilla/wraps/whatever apiece, with some leftover for my lunch today, & the amount easily could have been stretched to make double that. The turkey strips were smoky/spicy without being overwhelming, & best of all - not salty AT ALL - which is something I always find unpleasant the few times I use processed or preprepared products.

Shady Brook also has these marinated turkey strips in a "Mild Herb" flavor. I'll be trying those next!!! Think they might make a terrific pseudo "Cheese-Steak Sandwich", or a great addition to a main course salad.

Oh, & the cost was a "whopping" $2.94. It would have cost me a lot more to buy turkey cutlets, cut them into strips, & marinate them myself.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #18
Master Chef
Did Sunday dinner exist? We have a "bunch for brunch" that meets monthly at different friends' homes. Copious amounts of champagne and/or bloodies are consumed. Dinner tends to consist of going home and collapsing. Once when it was my turn, brunch went from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Hostess (me) gave up and went to bed before our last guest left. Dinner on brunch days simply doesn't happen. We just nuke leftovers!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote