"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 01-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
Sous Chef
Sunday Dinner - 1-24-2016

Sad day - Patriots lost this afternoon. Fortunately, had some nice wine to drown our sorrows, and a nice dinner to go along with it.

Roast pork tenderloin with a side of kale, tomatoes, and black eyed peas.

Kale with Tomatoes and Black-Eyed Peas | Better Than Bouillon

I picked up the ham base this morning, and it's pretty salty. Next time I'll halve the amount.

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
Master Chef
That kale dish looks great tenspeed, I saved it.

Busy day today. I got a lot of things done around the house, especially in the kitchen. Re-organized cabinets, wiped down the insides, threw away little bits of things left here and there. Lots more room now. Anyway, I was *done* being in the kitchen by the time I got it put back together, so tonight's dinner was scrounged from the freezer. Pan seared shrimp with garlic lemon butter, steamed edamame, and a warm roll to sop up the buttery goodness from the shrimp.

Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
We needed to use extra ricotta cheese from last week, so I thawed the rest of the lasagna sauce and DH made stuffed shells. We had buttered Italian bread and steamed peas with butter and Penzey's 4/S Seasoning Salt alongside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1453686934424.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	24224  
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We had salmon fillets cooked in browned butter, steamed spinach and baked potatoes. Easy-peasy and tasty.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
Master Chef
We stopped on our way home from town today for an early supper at one of our favorite little Cafe's. We shared some outstanding Ceviche, him an IPA, and me a glass of Chardonnay. I had a delicious "California chicken bake" with chunked chicken, grape tomatoes, cheese, jalapeno's and avocado. He had deep fried spring rolls with Ahi and avocado, in a sweet dipping sauce. Nice!!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Pirate has the flu so the beef stew in the slow cooker will have to be made another day. But I did get the barley soaking. Now what do I do with it. Just stick it in the fridge for now I guess. It won't go to waste.

I know, I could have made it and just saved it for another day. It usually taste better the next day anyway. Maybe I will just make it tomorrow.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:16 PM   #7
Senior Cook
I went and got Chinese takeout at the Girard Wok -- our fave Chinese (and closest) place. I got the Schezuan chicken and veggie fried rice w/ eggroll. She got the General Tso chicken and rice. $15 and enough for 2 meals.
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:45 AM   #8
Master Chef
Baked a ham, mashed cauliflower and turned it into a casserole with cheddar topping, steamed some green beans, and roasted potato cubes with The Spice House's Florida Seasoned Pepper. Later, we had dessert. Yes, dessert! Triple-chocolate cake with all the toppings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016-01-24 19.54.12.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	24226   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-24 22.06.07.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	24227  

... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:38 AM   #9
Certified Cake Maniac
Wow, I am on a roll! Two homemade dinners in a row! We have really been feeling under the weather all week and so I thought a pot of soup was in order.

I made curried chicken vegetable chowder. The curry is very mild - I add it because I have to use coconut milk for TB and the curry just sort of melds nicely with the chicken and the coconut. It has peas, onions, potatoes, corn and cauliflower in it plus chicken and bacon!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chowder.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	24228  
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:21 AM   #10
Executive Chef
We had chili. I also made chicken and andouille gumbo, which we will probably have tonight.

Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote