Sunday Dinner 10/23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Yo! What's Sup?

I dug a serving of Sunday ragu with meatballs and sausages out of the freezer for our "Carbs are OK once a week" Sunday dinner. ( the Patriots game is on @4:30 so I can't focus on a lengthy dinner preparation.)

SO will have low carb pasta, I won't. A salad is probably in the wind as well.

We have several meals on our menu for this week that taste better if made in advance, so Craig is busily cooking. One of them is a Sunday gravy with meatballs, sausage and some chicken thighs. Another is a lamb tagine. We also have ropa vieja on the menu, though I don't know if he's making that today since the plaintains we got are far from ripe for maduros. We may end up making plaintain chips or tostones with them instead. He also heard about a butternut squash pie on a food discussion show on the radio on his way home yesterday that he wants to try that a local business makes.

So, our dinner is TBD by whatever is done by dinnertime or when he gets tired and is done cooking for the day.

Jasmine fried rice with ham. We finally worked our way through all of Friday's Thai takeout leftovers except for the carton of jasmine rice.

Baked cod fillet topped with a couple of lemon slices, and buttered asparagus. Quick and easy.

American Chop Suey with sautéed onions, petite peas, and tomatoes. Nothing grand. Just stick to your ribs foods for this very chilly and windy day.

DH has been doing some adobe repair on a neighbors home and she is taking us to Martyr's Steakhouse for dinner tonight:yum::cool::w00t:

Probably having steaks tonight.

We ended up with lamb, apricot tagine over cardamom, saffron basmati rice with almonds and currants.

Finishing up the soups from Monday's soup-a-thon. There's a wee bit of creamy chicken and wild rice that we'll split because we would both like it, then a goodly amount of the minestrone. I made a loaf of bread today as a go-with. It's just about cool enough to slice...:yum:

Attachments

• 2016-10-23 17.12.22.jpg
    2016-10-23 17.12.22.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 139
My plan for dinner this evening is to slice up a leftover Pork Loin I found in the freezer and heat it up slowly in some gravy.
I'll baked some yukon gold taters to except some of that lovely gravy as well as roast some broccolini with olive oil and garlic to go along side.
Dessert was suppose to be an "Impossible Pumpkin Pie", well that was a fail!
The pie finished cooling a bit ago, so rather than just send upstairs something that I had not tasted first, well, let's just say that the flavor is there but not the texture ... ACK! :yuk:

I have loaded-up spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove: onions, garlic, bell peppers and ground beef with a jar of pasta sauce and a can of petite diced tomatoes, seasoned with Penzeys Frozen Pizza Seasoning and home-grown dried oregano. I'll also braise some green beans in Penzeys Fox Point to go on the side.

And I made no-knead bread to sop up the sauce :yum: (the spoon is for scale)

Attachments

• 1477264190073.jpg
    1477264190073.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 148
My plan for dinner this evening is to slice up a leftover Pork Loin I found in the freezer and heat it up slowly in some gravy.
I'll baked some yukon gold taters to except some of that lovely gravy as well as roast some broccolini with olive oil and garlic to go along side.
Dessert was suppose to be an "Impossible Pumpkin Pie", well that was a fail!
The pie finished cooling a bit ago, so rather than just send upstairs something that I had not tasted first, well, let's just say that the flavor is there but not the texture ... ACK! :yuk:

027.JPG
dinner was pretty good! dessert, meh...

I have loaded-up spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove: onions, garlic, bell peppers and ground beef with a jar of pasta sauce and a can of petite diced tomatoes, seasoned with Penzeys Frozen Pizza Seasoning and home-grown dried oregano. I'll also braise some green beans in Penzeys Fox Point to go on the side.

And I made no-knead bread to sop up the sauce :yum: (the spoon is for scale)

Mmmm, yummy dinner :yum:

Attachments

• 1477279027531.jpg
    1477279027531.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 146
I have to keep revisiting the nightly dinner thread just to see the pics. :yum:

What a great collection of pictures!!

We kept looking at the clouds today looking like they had rain in them...drat, they passed us by but it was a nice thought.

I made soup anyway...Asian soup that was really delicious although once more we'll never have it again, as I didn't bother to make notes.

Last edited:
I had a pretty rough evening, night and then day today so while I made TB chicken thighs with rice and tomatoes, I just had a corned beef sandwich.

I am on the heavy duty pain meds and while I need to have something on my stomach, nothing really tastes as it should. The good news is they are working so if I get a good night sleep I should be better tomorrow. Gotta look on the bright side! :)

Went into the city after work to take my youngest daughter out for Pho. They all had the pho. I had a pretty good Tom Ka soup, rice wraps and chicken stir fry. I don't mind this low carb thing. It is forcing me to explore other items on menus I wouldn't have normally tried....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom