"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Were you able to include the parmesan cheese rinds? I thought they made huge difference.
Didn't have any, but I added some parm to the finished soup. I'll have to try to have some available the next time I make the soup.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Didn't have any, but I added some parm to the finished soup. I'll have to try to have some available the next time I make the soup.
I have a bag of them in the freezer, so I always have some available. They keep forever

Old 12-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Last night I had my sister, BIL and next door neighbor over for dinner, because I was cooking an Alton Brown reciped turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, giblet gravy, buttermilk biscuit's with homemade chokecherry jelly and I think that was it..
Old 12-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Cheryl, those shrimp look delish! I have asparagus, and we love oven roasted potato wedges. IF I run out of food to use up this week, I'll certainly reprise your meal.

Kayelle, not only do the carnitas look yummy, I love your Polish pottery dish. I have an oval one and try to use it any chance I get.

Saturday night/Sunday morning I made a huge batch of potato salad and an almost-huge bowl of coleslaw so that I could clean and decorate, knowing all I had to do for dinner was run out for fried fish. My hip barked at me so much today I didn't get much done. However, we ate very well with my fixin's and some fried cod and bay scallops. I have a generous amount of both side dishes to use for another couple of meals.
Thanks, CG! I know what you mean, I should have used up some other bits and pieces of leftovers, but the shrimp craving hit. Your dinner looks fabulous! I hope your hip is better today.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Kayelle, not only do the carnitas look yummy, I love your Polish pottery dish. I have an oval one and try to use it any chance I get..
Thanks CG. About 20 years ago I found that beautiful PP dish on QVC and they had several choices with different patterns and sizes. I couldn't decide between this one and the oval with another pattern, so I splurged and got them both. They were well discounted with QVC. Good grief, Polish Pottery is so expensive! I love using them so much, and after I married Steve he gifted me with two others completely different. I should take a picture of the four of them. I call them kitchen jewelry.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Zowers!! Carbs would actually detract from this dish!! It was an outstanding mix of several recipes, so I guess it's mine.
I'll work up the recipe and post it in the proper place tomorrow.
It wouldn't be limited to the Carnitas I had frozen from Costco. Gr.beef,shredded chicken, or just pulled pork would work nicely.

Just wanted to remind you, you promised to post the recipe... 😉 yummers
Old 12-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
What a lot of good looking suppers. I wasn't very energetic, so I fried up some ground beef with onion. The plan was to add some to some Kirkland marinara sauce and put it on some pasta. I pooped out after frying up the beef. Stirling wasn't very energetic either, but he did have enough energy to make nachos with some of the ground beef. That was really good.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Nice topic! -- For the record my [i]gai yang[/] (Thai style barbecued chicken) turned out great! Best of all, no need to write down a recipe. The main essential ingredients (besides chicken) are coconut milk or coconut cream (same just the thicker skim off the top) and tumeric. Garlic is semi-required.

I forgot if I said but this is a good recipe to take out your hostility on, since the chicken gets a long marination and slashes help, so get into a ripper mentality and take a big, sharp knife and put a few deep (to the bone) slashes in both sides of the chicken pieces. (I use this technique on my tandoori chicken too). Go ahead and slice it to the bone! Kill!

Oddly the slices disappeared after cooking, and I was astonished at how tender the chicken turned out. The marinade and slashes helping penetration of marinade and tenderizing? I'll explore this in future cooking.

Although I cooked at 375F for about 45 minutes (convection oven) this could have easily gone much further. Cooking on a barbecue would be hotter and probably produce a drier skin which IMO would have been better.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:31 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks CG. About 20 years ago I found that beautiful PP dish on QVC and they had several choices with different patterns and sizes. I couldn't decide between this one and the oval with another pattern, so I splurged and got them both. They were well discounted with QVC. Good grief, Polish Pottery is so expensive! I love using them so much, and after I married Steve he gifted me with two others completely different. I should take a picture of the four of them. I call them kitchen jewelry.
I know what you mean about the PP being pricey, Kayelle. I got my one-and-only at the Christmas Tree Shop, which is sorta like a bigger, junked-up version of a Tuesday Morning - only CTS never closes for days on end to stock its shelves. It was a steal at $14.99. I should have bought more, but I didn't need them. What was I thinking???

BTW, Himself loved the "kitchen jewelry" line. He commented that some of the PP does cost as much as fine jewelry.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:45 AM   #30
Certified Cake Maniac

We were at the Beier family Christmas dinner yesterday. Every always pitches in and it is a great feast.

Mom Beier made rouladen, mashed potatoes and "martian food" (a family favourite green Jello salad with pineapple, marshmallows, etc.)
I took maple dijon glazed carrots and broccoli salad
Other items included:
- A raw veggie platter
- curried cauliflower
- Ham
- red cabbage
- various pastries and sweets for dessert

We were so full when we came home we didn't eat another bite even though the main meal was at 1 pm so people could travel home in light and good weather.

It was the first time in 4 years that all 17 of us were able to get together and it was a great time!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinner