Sunday Dinner - 2/11/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Back to the reality of winter weather after a week on a tropical beach (and non-stop food and rum drinks). Chicken and asparagus stir fry, served over jasmine rice. Rum drinks are more fun, though.

No tropical weather here, more like New Hampshire weather. 36F right now.

Plan A was plans for quite a tropical meal, tonight, but I forgot to do the marinade on my meat early this morning (I remembered it about 3PM today), so I have to punt. Plan B will be fun, though. More on that later.

CD

SO and I had L/O chili mac and GD, who is sick, had a bowl of my famous chicken noodle soup with egg and lemon.

I hear what you are saying 10Speed. We are recent back from vacation in So Florida and I am not adjusting well to being home again. It’s too cold to go to the store today, 12F. So what’s a wuss to do. I made homemade Wimpy Burgers.

Never had one, not even sure what state the closest place is located.
A Wimpy’s menu looks like regular burgers to me, plenty of the usual free toppings and sauces. I matched from the frig’ with what I had. Dill pickles, mayo, ketchup, raw onion. Made shallow fried French fries. I should have ordered my Wimpy’s “to go”.

We got takeout pizza, as did, apparently, everyone else in town. Pizza place was really busy. Nothing even close to tropical weather here.

Do you get to pay for your burgers on Tuesday, Whisk?

DW made chicken parm and casarecce pasta, but I'm trying to save a few bucks and brought in leftovers to work that would otherwise go bad.

So, my dinner is leftover Korean Sam Gyup Sal, rice, and gkim.

I'll have the chik parm tomorrow.

Last edited:
I had two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. And, a side of fries.

It has been years since I made a Big Mac at home. It was a jumbo Big Mac. I couldn't eat it all, but Psycho-Poodle was willing to help me out.

CD

Attachments

• MigMac001.jpg
    MigMac001.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 135
I'm feeling "almost" guilty for enjoying my brand new barbecue this mild California evening here. What a honey it is, with a 12,800 BTU searing burner on the side wing, although I didn't use it tonight.
P2110068_1.jpg

My first cook was...wait for it...Tri Tip. No surprise there, but the tail of the triangle always gets well done so my silicone bands came to the rescue for an experiment, and we ended up with a more consistently rare piece of meat, with the aid of the ThermoWorks probe thermometer set to 125 degrees. It has 4 burners, so I did it indirect only using the two outside burners, the right with a wood chip smoke box. Wow, that worked well, and I'll do it again.
P2110073_1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm feeling "almost" guilty for enjoying my brand new barbecue this mild California evening here. What a honey it is, with a 12,800 BTU searing burner on the side wing, although I didn't use it tonight.

My first cook was...wait for it...Tri Tip. No surprise there, but the tail of the triangle always gets well done so my silicone bands came to the rescue for an experiment, and we ended up with a more consistently rare piece of meat, with the aid of the ThermoWorks probe thermometer set to 125 degrees. It has 4 burners, so I did it indirect only using the two outside burners, the right with a wood chip smoke box. Wow, that worked well, and I'll do it again.

So, are you going to tell us what grill you got? Enquiring minds want to know. :huh:

CD

I can really SMELL everyone's dinner and I want some too!

It's what WAS for dinner tonight.

We had another beautiful Spring like day,
so I decided to do BBQ, Chicken that is.

maynards.jpg

smoker.jpg

smoker box.jpg

plastic wrapped chicken.JPG

apple wood chips.JPG

on the grill maynards chicken.JPG

finished maynards chicken.jpg

maynards chicken plate dinner.JPG

I got out my Miners Mix Maynards Memphis BBQ
goin' on some B/S Chicken Thighs wrapped in
plastic wrap for the afternoon.
I added some Apple Wood Chips to
my SmokerBox and stoked up my grill.
Serve with some homemade Coleslaw
then added in some Baked Beans and buddy, grab your fork!

004.JPG

We repeated last nights dessert - Homemade Apple Crostata with Tillamook Oregon Hazelnut and Salted Caramel Ice Cream on the side, MMM!

P2110068_1.jpg

P2110073_1.jpg

That's the same smoker box that I use Kay!!! LOVE IT!!
I like to use Mesquite Chips on Hulihuli Chicken to make it taste authentic ;)

Welcome "home", tenspeed. I hope you and your Mrs. had a wonderful vacay.

Nice toy, Kayelle! Happy grillin'! :yum:

I made my modified version of Crockpot Thai Peanut Chicken. As written, the cooking time is too long, and I think the peppers are much better when added about an hour before it's done. I toss the peppers in when I take the chicken out to cool slightly and shred. By the time the chicken is warmed up again, the rice I started right before shredding chicken is done. I made a side veggie of lightly steamed then sauteed baby bok choy. Lightly toasted sesame seeds topped the bok choy.

Attachments

• 20180211_211630.jpg
    20180211_211630.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 161
I have to post a big "Thank You" to Kayelle who helped me assemble the @##$% BBQ. All went well except for a couple of holes that were not threaded right. A trip to the hardware store for a tap for the threads solved that problem.
For a first time with a new unfamiliar grill she did wonders.:clap:

Kgirl.. I love that little V smoker box I've had for a while, and it worked great on my new grill.

Casey, I'm thinking I might actually get into using my Sous Vide, now that my new outdoor grill has the blasting searing option at 12,500 BTU on the wing, it should do the trick. I can't wait to use it.
It's a rare day it's not possible to cook outside here.

Last edited:
Kgirl.. I love that little V smoker box I've had for a while, and it worked great on my new grill.

Casey, I'm thinking I might actually get into using my Sous Vide, now that my new outdoor grill has the blasting searing option at 12,500 BTU on the wing, it should do the trick. I can't wait to use it.
It's a rare day it's not possible to cook outside here.

A 12K BTU burner and a cast iron skillet will certainly do the job of searing sous vide meat without cooking it any further. You won't get that from the grill side, because there isn't a gas grill made that can generate the heat to do that kind of ultra-fast sear. And honestly, it seems like a waste of time and materials to light up a big pile of charcoal to sear sous vide meat for a minute per side.

You can do the quick sear on your side burner, get the job done fast, and not smoke up your house.

Enjoy your new toy.

CD

Stovetop seared thick NY steaks, finished in at hot oven.. Delicious..
Sides of prawns, asparagus and a green salad.. Also delicious..

Good meal...

Ross

Back
Top Bottom