Sunday dinner. 6/8/08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And Katie.... what's the deal with that baked vidalia onion? I remember the beef cube, but does anything else go on top; a pat of butter, EVOO, anything? That is also going to go on the grill :)

Jeff,
Is it really that simple? Just wedge the cabbage, drizzle a little balsamic vinegar, toss in a hunk of ham (or cube it?) and s&p, a little water....
That sounds really good :) I want to get it right because it is going on my list of things to try.

:LOL:

Pacanis, just hollow out the root end of each onion. I use my melonballer, but you could use a spoon. Put the onion(s) into a baking dish, "well" side up. Put a beef bouillon cube and about 1 teaspoon butter into the "well" of the onions. Put water in the baking dish about 1/4-inch deep. Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 1 hour at 350.

I put the onion "balls" I scoop out of the onions in the pan, too. Wouldn't dream of wasting any part of a Vidalia. Enjoy!

I'm weird. The heat is oppressive and very humid, and yet I have a hankering for pot roast, potatoes, carrots, so that's whats cooking tonight.

I went for a nice bike ride today. On the way back I swung by the house, picked up a small cooler and headed into the store. I refuse to add a couple gallons of gas to the price of my steak dinner. I picked up a couple real nice looking ribeyes on sale for $9.99/lb. Very nice marbling. And a cucumber.
So tonight it is grilled ribeye with a cucumber, vidalia onion, sour cream & mayo salad. Also a baked potato done on the grill...... And Katie.... what's the deal with that baked vidalia onion? I remember the beef cube, but does anything else go on top; a pat of butter, EVOO, anything? That is also going to go on the grill :)

Jeff,
Is it really that simple? Just wedge the cabbage, drizzle a little balsamic vinegar, toss in a hunk of ham (or cube it?) and s&p, a little water....
That sounds really good :) I want to get it right because it is going on my list of things to try.

oops, forgot to say.....
I am freezing one of my ribeyes for future use :ohmy:
:LOL:
The vinegar is for after it is cooked.
Wedge up your cabbage, toss in some ham and potatoes cut into halves or quarters. Salt, Pepper, cover with water and let it cook. When the potatoes are tender, it's done.

I put a little vinegar(Balsalmic or apple cider on the side, not everyone wants the vinegar) on the cabbage when serving. On the potatoes I put a little butter and salt. The ham is nice and tender from boiling. Its a great "Boiled" dinner, very "old world". I found out with this one, a slow cured smoked ham really makes it good but any ham works. Oh, on the ham I put in pretty good size pieces. You don't really want a fine dice or small chunks. I prefer to have on the plate my cabbage, potatoes and ham all separate.

I did this batch in a crock pot set on high for 5 hours while I was out doing other things. On a stove top, it doesn't take that long.

Last edited:
Hmm, not sure what I will cook for dinner tonight.

I am currently tossing between the traditional lasagne posted in another thread, or some scotch fillet seared and oven roasted.

LOL - I never did make the tostados I planned. Hubby and I had coffee and some pumpkin bread around 4:30. When dinnertime rolled around, we decided that we really weren't hungry enough for dinner and so we had some popcorn around 8:30-9:00. Yippee - easy dinner.

On Thursday, I picked up some jalapeno cheese tamales from a local woman who makes and sells them. Her jalapeno cheese tamales are my favorite. I had two of them for dinner tonight.

I was going to have a layer chicken and broccoli casserole, I did not feel like making that tonight. Although, I did cook the chicken and now all I have to do is shred it to complete the casserole.

it was hot out today. i mean africa hot.

so i set up the sprinkler, bought a kiddie pool, put the a.c. in the downstairs window and squarely sent dw and my boy outside while i made sunday gravy and watched the yankee game.

every time dw came into the house, i ran back into the kitchen and sprinkled water on my face, as if i'd been sweating over the pot o' sauce and browning meats.
:chef:

Thanks, Katie. I actually found it by using Search..... it certainly helps to know who made the post when typing in the keywords.

Thanks for the recipe, Jeff.

Had another Grad party yesterday.
2 days of free dinner and I didn't cook Friday.
I wonder if I even remember how now...... but I do know if I see another pasta salad anytime soon I may hurl.

Grilled chicken, grilled new potatoes, grilled stuffed tomatoes, grilled asparagus, grilled focacia, even stuck a spaghetti pie on the grill to cook. It was 32C here yesterday.:LOL:

Grilled boneless chicken brests marinated in orange juice, Cointreau, Tabasco, diced red onion and black pepper.

Wild rice with mandarin orange segments and a touch of cinnamon.

Last edited:
it was hot out today. i mean africa hot.

so i set up the sprinkler, bought a kiddie pool, put the a.c. in the downstairs window and squarely sent dw and my boy outside while i made sunday gravy and watched the yankee game.

every time dw came into the house, i ran back into the kitchen and sprinkled water on my face, as if i'd been sweating over the pot o' sauce and browning meats.
:chef:

Bt, I am gonna find out where you live and have a chat with your dw :rolleyes: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom