"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I had the creamed spinach late morning, a chicken sub around mid afternoon, and I just haven't felt hungry enough to warrant cooking dinner. Maybe the unusually warm day threw me off? I'm still holding out hope I get hungry soon though. I almost feel like grilling the brats just so I have some cold ones to munch on tomorrow, but then I know I'll make potato wedges, maybe something else and next thing you know I've got a big dinner... and really, a bowl of cereal would suit me just fine right now, lol.
Oatmeal tonight! I love it for dinner!

Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #32
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Love porcupine meatballs Barb. :-). Have you ever pressure cooked them? I learned that from my MIL. Turn out great every time, no breakage or crumbling.
Not sure what's for dinner, maybe Chicken and Noodles or chicken soup. But, after reading some of these posts I have a hankering for cabbage rolls and Pierogi!
No, I haven't tried that. I may someday, but baking them was so quick and easy that I may just stick to that.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

When I'm not really hungry, I try to take advantage of saving a few calories. If I really do get sort of hungry later, I'm not usually very hungry and have a couple of crackers instead of cooking and making a mess, plus eating too much.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
What is Mulit-bean vinegar salad?
It's a refrigerated dish comprised of canned green beans, canned wax beans, canned dark kidney beans, all drained. Then, in a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1/3 cup granulated sugar. Cook until the sugar is dissolved. Pour that over the beans, along with 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper, 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper, 1 cup chopped red onion, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, a touch of salt, and some chopped fresh parsley. Refrigerate several hours or, better, overnight. Pretty yummy.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

My mother used to make bean salad, Katie, not with the peppers though.
I always figured it was a German thing, like German potato salad, only cold and with beans, lol.

Yep, going with the cereal. Grape nut flakes with a sliced banana. And I'll be thinking I'm starving about 9:00 tomorrow morning.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
It's a refrigerated dish comprised of canned green beans, canned wax beans, canned dark kidney beans, all drained. Then, in a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1/3 cup granulated sugar. Cook until the sugar is dissolved. Pour that over the beans, along with 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper, 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper, 1 cup chopped red onion, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, a touch of salt, and some chopped fresh parsley. Refrigerate several hours or, better, overnight. Pretty yummy.

Oh, Three bean salad. I never cook the vinegar and sugar, just stir until dissolved. I also use red wine vinegar and add dill weed. Almost forgot, I double the marinating ingredients.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

I really love reading what you all are making.. it always gives me inspiration for my weekly menus. :)

Tonight I made a pasta dish I came up with years ago.. It's nothing special.. braised italian sausages that are sliced after they are almost done then thrown back into the pan with some oil to brown up on all sides, sauteed sliced onions and chopped garlic, lots of lambrusco wine, a can or two of diced fire roasted tomatoes (drained) and lots of fresh basil.. I let that simmer while the spaghetti cooks and once it's almost done i throw the pasta into the sauce to let it finish cooking and then grate some parm on top. It's my favorite thing, and our bestfriends came over to enjoy it with us. :)
Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #38
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Dinner was roast beef with carrots, onions, celery, and potatoes cooked with the roast, mixed veggies (corn, carrots, peas, green beans), and salad. I use the drippings from the beef to make a pan sauce instead of a gravy.

Tags
dinner