"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #41
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Just wrote this on the Tailgating thread. Totchos. Nachos + tater tots plus toppings and salsa.
My mom used to make this when I was a kid and it's still one of my favorites, Whisk. My wife won't eat it, so sometimes when she's out of town I'll have it for dinner. Tator tots, burger with Mexican seasonings, shredded cheese, and salsa. Much neater than nachos because you can eat it with a fork!

Tonight we had a simple dinner of homemade tomato basil soup and a grilled cheese sammich.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #42
Master Chef

We were half soup (I almost finished yesterday's leftover chicken barley) and half pork steaks with onion gravy (Himself left one small piece of that) but I can say we were all leftovers. Except for the tube of Grands biscuits - of which half is left over. Spent the afternoon doing a little cleaning in case we get a cat sitter and a little decorating in case we end up staying home. That part should be in the "venting" thread, but not until I get my blood pressure back near normal...

Old 12-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #43
Head Chef

My 'go to' supper is .... open another bottle of wine and check the freezer.

Understand, I'm cooking for one, so I try to pare down all recipes for 2 servings. Difficult. If I haven't scarfed down both servings at the time of making.... I then usually end up eating the 2nd part for breakfast .

If I make 4 servings, I freeze the other portions. Most times it works and I have many different meals just waiting in the freezer for those nights when cooking just isn't going to happen!

Hah! which reminds me.... Power failure, hockey play offs, so 4 kids turned up to watch my TV as I had a generator, to which they also hooked up the micro wave! Everyone had a completely different meal. I called out the labels and someone said "ME!" Pretty awesome night!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
My 'go to' supper is .... open another bottle of wine and check the freezer.

Understand, I'm cooking for one, so I try to pare down all recipes for 2 servings. Difficult. If I haven't scarfed down both servings at the time of making.... I then usually end up eating the 2nd part for breakfast .

If I make 4 servings, I freeze the other portions. Most times it works and I have many different meals just waiting in the freezer for those nights when cooking just isn't going to happen!

Hah! which reminds me.... Power failure, hockey play offs, so 4 kids turned up to watch my TV as I had a generator, to which they also hooked up the micro wave! Everyone had a completely different meal. I called out the labels and someone said "ME!" Pretty awesome night!
That does sound fun.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
...Hah! which reminds me.... Power failure, hockey play offs, so 4 kids turned up to watch my TV as I had a generator, to which they also hooked up the micro wave! Everyone had a completely different meal. I called out the labels and someone said "ME!" Pretty awesome night!
How loud did you have that TV? There had to be some way they knew you had power. Next power outage, party at dragn's place!

Oh, and the dividing-and-freezing method right away is a good way to make sure you have those pre-made meals. There are two of us, but if I don't set half aside before calling Himself to dinner it seems I end up with enough leftover for only one more serving...
Old 12-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
How loud did you have that TV? There had to be some way they knew you had power. Next power outage, party at dragn's place!

Oh, and the dividing-and-freezing method right away is a good way to make sure you have those pre-made meals. There are two of us, but if I don't set half aside before calling Himself to dinner it seems I end up with enough leftover for only one more serving...
It's easy to know who has power. They have lights.

Same thing happens at my house with the extra servings. I'll have to remember that, put away extra servings before supper.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's easy to know who has power. They have lights....
DUH! *smacks head with hand*
Old 12-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I seldom bake cookies. My problem isn't the cookie dough, it's that I forget about the cookies and burn them.
The timer on my oven beeps incessantly and insistently if I don't turn it off, so I rarely burn things
Old 12-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Baking is waaaay outisde my comfort zone. Especially with a squirrely oven. Plus I just hate flour. It's so messy
If you can mix cement for the mailbox, you can bake cookies!

Start out with the refrigerated lumps of dough. That new toaster oven might be just right for a half a dozen warm cookies on a snowy day, nothing says ya gotta bake them all at once.

Move up to a pouch of peanut butter cookie mix and then you'll be ready to solo with a batch of cookies made from scratch.

Now when I make peanut butter cookies I always use the pouches because it is cheaper than making a small batch from scratch. No one seems to notice the difference in the taste. Maybe I always made lousy peanut butter cookies, who knows!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #50
Executive Chef

pork tenderloin marsala and a potato-fennel gratin.

Tags
dinner