Sunday Dinner? March 8th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Did you turn your clocks ahead today (those of you in effected areas)?

I did all but one. Saving that one for later.

Never had tacos last night and won't be having them tonight either. We went out this morning for a brunch with friends. Didn't need lunch. SO is under the weather and has no appetite. I don't feel like cooking for one.

I'll make a quick soup and a grilled cheese and salami sandwich.

What are you planning?

I am having Gobi masala and pooris with some potato-chickpea filling. The young lads and I made the Gobi masala and pooris. Their mom made the filling in advance.

We had our main meal at noon. Ham, macaroni and cheese and salads. Then I heated up some chicken patties and had sandwiches for supper.

Something I don't usually have...but it was reduced at the supermarket. Crevettes (large prawns) with lemon mayo and a tomato roll (heated) with some iceberg lettuce and a fennel and tomato salad.

Oh, since there was a lot of shell, I bagged it into the freezer. Prawn shells tend to make great fish stock. Since fresh prawns keep 1 month (in a 3 * freezer), am treating the shells with the same storage time.

Last edited:
I made a pot of Penzeys Tortellini Soup with Sausage. The first time I made it I followed the recipe. It was too much tomato for our tastes, and we didn't like the green pepper in it either. It tasted like a stuffed pepper soup, which is not the flavor profile I was looking for. :glare: I reduced all tomato by half, eliminated the green pepper entirely, and threw in a generous amount of ribboned spinach near the end. Delicioso!

My daughter, grandson and I went walking in the desert today taking pics of wildflowers, afterwards we had a late afternoon lunch at our fave Mexican restaurant. I brought home my leftovers, so that was dinner. :yum:

Salad with sirloin, blue cheese, avocado, eggs, and pickled onions...

img_1412389_0_9f2a3f82ade6aafa5f17d2ef20e27623.jpg

That looks good. Every so often I get a craving for corned beef, and since it's on sale a lot of places now, I should probably pick one up.

Steve, they'll be even cheaper after the 17th. I picked up 2 or 3 last year at half price after the 17th and froze them.

That looks good. Every so often I get a craving for corned beef, and since it's on sale a lot of places now, I should probably pick one up.

Steve, Thank you! It was good and the onions that cooked in the beer really made the dish.

I wanted to corn my own brisket but here in Southern Arizona it is hard to find and when I did it was expensive But the already corned brisket was inexpensive.

That looks wonderful! Ever since I discovered baking (or slow roasting, whatever...lol) corned beef instead of stove top simmering, I use the oven method all the time now. Much more flavorful.

Yes it is but I do blanch it in simmering water to remove some of the salt.

Steve, Thank you! It was good and the onions that cooked in the beer really made the dish.

I wanted to corn my own brisket but here in Southern Arizona it is hard to find and when I did it was expensive But the already corned brisket was inexpensive.

I've corned brisket from scratch before and the flavor is definitely an improvement over the pre-packaged corned beef, in my opinion. But it takes about 10 days and finding food grade saltpeter (potassium nitrate) can be a trick. My grocer doesn't carry it, so I had to order it online from a science supply company. I just don't have the time or inclination to do it this year.

Back
Top Bottom