Sunday Dinner, Nov 29 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
004.JPG

We have an Open House again this Sunday afternoon,
(keep your fingers crossed everybody that we sell this place, we really want to move already!)
so I put on a pot of what I call Gumbo.
Real easy:
Diced-b/s Chicken, Kielbasa, onions, carrots, celery, red bell peppers
a can of tomatoes, some minced garlic, frozen chopped okra, s&p, thyme, parsley, cayenne, bay leaves and homemade chicken broth
EVERYBODY IN THE POOL!
I left it on a real slow simmer so that the house smells great when folks walk in, I love that reaction, "WOW, what smells so good in here?" oh and I've got two cakes cooling on the back counter, so... :rolleyes:

What's on your back burner today?

Last edited:
We are not yet tired of open faced turkey sandwiches with mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy and a dab of cranberry sauce. So that is what we will have!

I took some round steak and seasoned it last night. Today I cut it into pieces and browned both sides. Then I simmered it in beef broth until tender. I made the broth into gravy and served it over oven baked rice with Brussels sprouts.

We've eaten all the mooched leftovers from our feast at Glenn's daughter's so we're reduced to preparing civilian food.

It's getting colder today and is rainy, rainy, rainy. A good day for roast beef, gravy, mashed potatoes, peas and homemade raspberry pie. That should just about do it.

I'm going to make a copycat recipe of Olive Garden's Chicken and Gnocchi Soup with leftover turkey and turkey stock. I'm also going to use rainbow chard and spinach from the garden. If I have the energy, I'll make some biscuits for dipping.

On tonight's menu we have a pan roasted pork tenderloin, roasted potatoes and steamed broccoli.

Baked Bbq sauced chicken wings. Homemade Bbq sauce-- ketchup, minced onion, brown sugar, woostershire, cider vinegar, chile pepper. Then I got lazy-- Souffers Mac 'n cheese. Couldn't waste that extra oven space.

Greek inspired night. Daughter, SIL, and grandbaby were over for dinner. Chicken souvlaki, herbed orzo, roasted brussel sprouts, tzatziki, and dutch oven rosemary / olive oil bread (at least for the adults).

Good looking meal, kgirl. :yum:

My brother wasn't able to join us on Thanksgiving day, so today we had the rest of the turkey leftovers with all the sides, plus more sides. We ate around 2, so that was today's dinner. It was nice having him here.

There were enough leftovers from the leftovers for one more meal, so I tupperwared them up and sent them home with him. I'm officially done - at this point I don't want to see poultry or potatoes on my plate for a looooong time. :ermm::LOL:

I need fruit, veggies, and meatless meals for the next couple of weeks! :LOL:

I might have to cook us up a turkey dinner soon..I missed having leftovers.

Tonight I browned up some brined boneless pork chops, and finished them in a pan sauce of sliced Crimini mushrooms, browned in butter, deglazed with Maderia and added a little chicky broth, and heavy cream, a few grinds of lemon pepper and ground Porchini powder. Dang, I have to remember that one!
Oven roasted seasoned fresh asparagus finished it off with a baked spud for my man.

I made a beef meatloaf and served it with brown rice and a tossed salad. We were obviously having a vegi deficit, since both of us started with the salad. It was a large salad and it's all gone.

Saturday we used up some left over turkey and the rest of the sides from T-Day. Yesterday, half of the left over turkey went into a soup with carrots, onions, potatoes, corn and dried, three cheese tortelini. The rest of the turkey is slated for chilaquiles.

I took some round steak and seasoned it last night. Today I cut it into pieces and browned both sides. Then I simmered it in beef broth until tender. I made the broth into gravy and served it over oven baked rice with Brussels sprouts.
I have to try this. Sounds delicious.

I like thinly sliced onions. As long as they aren't over powering the taste of the steak.

Oh no, they enhance the gravy. After browning the meat, set it aside on a plate, then brown the onions. Make the gravy and add the meat back to the pan, spooning some gravy and onions on top. Simmer till done. Good stuff :yum:

Back
Top Bottom