Sunday dinner-Oct. 29, 07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Sunday again:)
My first do it on my own meal in some time. I have to say I'm so happy I can do this today..
We will start with the crab french bread appy, then move on to pulled pork bbq sandwiches, baked beans, a plate of melons, cole slaw, and for me and youngest daughter roasted brussels sprouts..I wanted some dessert for everyone but didn't want to run out of gas and have to just do nothing so I'm making a Paula Dean sweet..Cresent rolls, put two together, seal edges, then spread with a mix of cream cheese,vanilla,chopped almonds and powdered sugar, roll, refrigerate about an hour, then cut in four pieces and bake, glaze them and sprinkle with more chopped toasted almonds. Easy but still a sweet also have some vanilla gelato we picked up at the store..Wish me luck, it's been awhile...

kadesma:)

I'm making my favorite soup again, Roasted Sweet Potato & Red Pepper. I'm also making the filling for taco salad using Quorn mince, taco seasoning, mushrooms, peppers & tomatoes. I'll have that for lunch at work this week.

The boy is making pasta with ground turkey, mushrooms, onion, peppers, and tomatoes served over whole wheat pasta.

Today I am making bbq ribs, baked potatoes, corn casserole, coleslaw and garlic bread. May make a blueberry/cake dessert. (Not) lol :(

Last edited:
smoking a pork butt right now .. should be ready in about 5 more hours ...
going to make some cole slaw , baked beans and cole slaw ..
cant wait ..

Had roast pork (crackling came out like flubber though :() with roast pots, cabbage and leeks. Made a simple apple sauce to go with it (well, just an apple lightly poached in water).

The crackling thing really annoys me - sometimes it comes out great, other times it's just soggy. I know the main requirement is a joint with a good layer of fat but even that doesn't seem to make it work 100%.

I WILL crack this!!

Another vote for pork roast. We're having pork roast slathered with a mixture of whole-berry cranberry sauce, cranberry juice, garlic, sugar, thin lemon slices, dry mustard, candied ginger, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cooking it long and slow. Not sure what sides we'll have, but I've got some dough ready for cloverleaf rolls. The house smells heavenly.

well ... just pulled the pork butt .. wow .. it is awesome .....
sauce is ready . just waiting on the oil to heat up for the hushpuppies .

we went to a street fair in times square today, so as we were leaving dinner was a toss up between the russian tea room and my wife's favourite italian joint Puttanesca, Italian Restaurants in NYC .

i lost the coin toss, so we had italian.

we started with insalata verde and insalata di barbabietole.
next was penne in an anchovy sugo, then squid ink tagliatelle fra diavolo, and ossobuco.
for dessert, espresso and a port wine poached pear with vanilla ice cream.

Roasted a 5 1/2 lb fresh free range chicken ... bought at an organic farm not far from home, farm processed (killed and cleaned) on Sat morn. aromatics in cavity, root veggies added to roaster. 1 1/2 hrs at 325*F in convection oven.

Bird was spectacular...real flavor, pan drippings made awesome gravy ... veggies were wonderful (yukon golds, parsnips, carrots, shallots)

Contrary to my norm, I made dressing outside the bird ... fresh breadcrumbs from 1/2 a loaf of rustic Italian I had in the fridge, thyme and sage, sage sausage, onion celery, a cup of brown rice (leftover), broth, s & p. Drizzled with some of the chicken fat from the bird and baked covered. Came out very well.

This was kinda a dry run for Thanksgiving as I've ordered my turkey from the same farm.

So good!

Last night, we had heated-up leftover pork chops, fresh homemade applesauce, savory onions from a recipe in the cookbook that came with my new Advantium microwave/oven, and baked potatoes, also cooked in the Advantium.

Back
Top Bottom