Sunday Dinner? (October 17/10)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Well, I don't get to start these very often! I must be up early.

Inspired by some of the talk in the Celebrations thread, I am doing a standing rib roast tonight with all the fixins. We'll have some potatoes (I may have to mash them...that seems to be the vote), some asparagus or broccoli, whichever I pick up at the store, a committee salad, and maybe even yorkshire pudding. Dessert will likely be pie. I think I might surprise my sweetie with saskatoon pie. He'll be expecting apple again. Mwa ha ha ha ha!!!

Edit: Oops! Just saw Franks Tailgating thread bump up. Sorry Frank!

Last edited:
Stuffed shrimp? Those must be some BIG shrimp. How does that work?

They're 8-12 shrimp. After you make the cut to devein the shrimp, deepen the cut and spread the two sides apart to make a 'flat' so the shrimp will sit on the flattened out with the tail curving up and over like a scorpion's tail. Then put a couple of spoonfuls of stuffing onto the base, filling the inner part of the curve.

Oooooo! I'm going to try that! Thanks Andy, sounds lovely.

Cara, I love rouladen! Good to see you here too.

UB, butter peas? Just peas with butter on them?

Alix, Here's the recipe I use. I often use prosciutto in place of the tasso as it's hard to get. There are two ingredient lists, one for 20 shrimp and another for 10.

DEATH-DEFYING STUFFED SHRIMP WITH TASSO HAM AND CRAB

3 Tb Olive Oil
1 Onion, finely diced
¼ C Chopped Parsley, divided
½ C *Tasso, finely diced
1 C Cornbread crumbs
½ C Chicken Stock
1 Lb Lump Crabmeat
TT Salt Pepper
20 Shrimp, U12 size, peeled with tails on
Melted butter

1½ Tb Olive Oil
½ Onion, finely diced
⅛ C Chopped Parsley, divided
¼ C *Tasso, finely diced
½ C Cornbread crumbs
¼ C Chicken Stock
½ Lb Lump Crabmeat
TT Salt & Pepper
10 Shrimp, U12 size, peeled with tails on
Melted butter

Preheat oven to 400º F.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion, half the parsley and the ham for 3 to 5 minutes until fragrant.

Combine cornbread crumbs and the chicken stock with the sautéed ham mixture in a large bowl.

Gently fold in crabmeat and remaining parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

Devein the shrimp. Butterfly the shrimp by deepening the deveining cut along the first half of the shrimps’ length (the fattest part) without cutting through.

Spread the fattest part of the shrimp flat and place the shrimp, cut side down, with the tail in the air so it resembles the tail of a scorpion. It is in this position that you will cook the shrimp.

Spoon 2 tablespoons of the stuffing onto the shrimp, placing the stuffing onto the base of the shrimp and packing it inside the curved part of the shrimp.

Perch the shrimps on a lightly buttered baking dish, maintaining the same position. Drizzle with some melted butter and bake 10 to 15 minutes.

*NOTE: Substitution of Prosciutto is acceptable.

PS: When I googled images of baked stuffed shrimp, the picture included several of naked women or couples. Not sure why but you learn something new every day. "Hey honey, wanna baked stuffed shrimp... wink wink?"

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 112
Alix said:
UB, butter peas? Just peas with butter on them?

No... a very small green/white pea...Shaped like a pea, but with the creamy texture taste of a butter bean...Cooked with a small piece of bacon and tasso....delicious!!

Thanks UB, never heard of them but will look for them now.

Andy, thanks for the recipe! Happens I have both proscuitto and shrimp I need to use up. Think this will be supper tomorrow.

If I hurry, it will be bbq pork chops in the slow cooker. If I don't hurry, it will be bbq pork chops in the oven. I prefer the slow cooker because I need them really tender for Dad.

Roasted whole turkey (in a bag this time)
Brown butter and fried sage mashed potatoes
Madeira gravy
Skillet squash and onions
Broccoli crowns with carrots

BIL and Family are bringing desert and wine.

PS: When I googled images of baked stuffed shrimp, the picture included several of naked women or couples. Not sure why but you learn something new every day. "Hey honey, wanna baked stuffed shrimp... wink wink?"

They ARE appetizers...:ROFLMAO:

My spell checker wanted to change prosciutto to prostitutes...the computers seem to have an agenda today!

They ARE appetizers...:ROFLMAO:

My spell checker wanted to change prosciutto to prostitutes...the computers seem to have an agenda today!

Maybe we should clean our computers more often...

Actually, I have served the BS shrimp as both an appetizer and a main course. It goes well with a rice dish and a salad.

I was thinking, if you have small shrimp that won't support stuffing, you could rough chop them into the stuffing and stuff Portobello caps with them for an entree or crimini caps for appetizers.

We're having leftovers. Got some Mexican burrito filling left, also some ham and beans, and some pork loin roast. I'll set stuff out and folks can make their own plates. Still recuperating from the football game yesterday!

Back
Top Bottom