"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #11
Master Chef

Looks delicious, Rock and Andy!

I had breakfast for dinner. Not much to look at, but it was good and hit the spot. Scrambled eggs with spinach and onions, steamed baby reds with parsley and butter, and watermelon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	25001  

Old 07-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #12
Master Chef

Beautiful sirloin, Roch. Himself likes the way Doug is "all in".

Andy, Himself was wondering if you bronzed your chicken. I think it looks tasty.

Steve, my money is on the "may have" when it comes to the wine.

Our plan was West Side Market, followed by an early supper at Great Lakes Brewing Company a block or two away. No one told Great Lakes that we were in town, though, and so they remained closed as is the norm on Sundays. We didn't have a "Plan B", so we started to list favorite places. Then I thought "Plan B can be B Spot Burgers, chef Michael Symon's burger and beer joint". Oh. My. Tastebuds. We have had some really good meat from the butcher in the next town over, but never have I had a burger that tasted so fine. Since any side is an extra, we got an order of Lola Fries (fried in lard, dusted with finely ground rosemary) and one of Pork Cracklings right away. Both good, and by the time the burgers showed up we needed another fries. I know that Himself had a Lola Burger and I got a Thin Lizzy. As to what the kids had? I know they were burgers! A round of beers to go with our burgers, and we ended up not unhappy at all that Great Lakes was closed. I know one thing, whenif we move back we'll be eating at B-Spot on a regular basis. Excellent quality all around. The company we were with wasn't hard to take either.

Proof of Burger photo: the burger was medium since our server said they tend to run rarer than a normal restaurant. It was nearly perfect; I would have been fine with a bit rarer. B-Spot also has a Pickle Bar, with eight different selections. Seven are made to Symon's specifications by a small company in Cleveland, the 8th are a commercial "Tony Packo's Sweet Hots" pickles. Tony Packo's is the hot dog place in Toledo that Jamie Farr's character "Maxwell Klinger" would reference in the TV series "M.A.S.H.". Farr himself hails from Toledo. Counter clockwise from the top, I sampled the red onions, garlic dills, and green tomatoes - all tasty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016-07-10 18.13.47.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	25002  

Old 07-10-2016, 11:55 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

CG, sounds like an excellent Plan B! I'll keep that in mind for the next time we go through Cleveland! I like Michael Symon - and I *really* like pickles (see below)
Old 07-11-2016, 12:02 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I made tonight's dinner yesterday afternoon: Asian chicken pasta salad, a recipe I developed years ago based on a dish sold by a company that brought lunch items to the office building where I used to work. I marinated diced chicken breasts in peanut oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and ginger, then fried it till just cooked through. Then mixed it with cooked spaghetti, roasted red and yellow peppers and spinach (this time I used rainbow chard from the garden) and chilled it.

I topped it with sesame seeds and served it with Szechuan pickled green beans and Asian marinated cucumber. Nice and cool on a hot day
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1468209747701.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	25007  
Old 07-11-2016, 12:07 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Had the family over today. I made up a taco bar with carnitas, shrimp and a slab of top sirloin..Doug the Pug was all for it...
Ha ha, Doug! Did you score??
Old 07-11-2016, 01:20 AM   #16
Senior Cook

We have a deal-If I volunteer on the Fillmore & Western tourist train, I pick up gyros from Yanni's for dinner on the way home!
Old 07-11-2016, 01:21 AM   #17
Master Chef

Good lookin' dinners, GG and CG.

Rock - I meant to mention earlier....Doug is a cutie!
Old 07-11-2016, 01:26 AM   #18
Master Chef

Great dinner reports (well, not Addie's TMI half eaten BLT) and terrific pictures. Doug the Pug is a riot.."drop something, drop something".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:38 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Nice looking and sounding dinners, guys! Love Doug the pug, Rock, sure hope he was able to get a smidge or two.

We split a chicken salad sandwich at the airport, which was surprisingly fresh and tasty. Nice whole-grain bread, excellent chicken salad with pineapple chunks and pecans.

Tags
dinner