Sunday Dinner - Sept 11/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what's the verdict on the cocoa? It really gives it a nice rich flavor?

It was a great combination of spices and ingredients. And I would have no problem substituting cocoa for the chocolate again either. I hate buying something "dish specific" and am glad I didn't make an unsweetened chocolate run.

We'll be having leftovers here. There's some salisbury steak and mashed left, as well as chili and cold cuts, and taco ring. The yungun is visiting friends so just DH and I for dinner.

Pacanis and msmofet - I occasionally use Hershey's syrup in chili. The chocolate changes the flavor and adds a little sweetness to it that my family prefers. If I don't add the chocolate syrup, I add apple jelly or applesauce for the sweetness.

My noonday dinner didn't leave much room in the way of snacking throughout the day... not at the moment anyway. :pig:
I was pretty happy with my first attempt at Cincinnati chili.

This looks really good. I see you did the cheese and onion on top too.

I never felt really excited about Cincinnati Chili. The spaghetti threw me off. How does it compare to "regular" chili?

This looks really good. I see you did the cheese and onion on top too.

I never felt really excited about Cincinnati Chili. The spaghetti threw me off. How does it compare to "regular" chili?

Thanks Andy. Yeah, I went all out. I don't even put cheese or onions on regular chili, but I wanted the whole effect.

Kind of a rough comparison would be, I can eat a big bowl of regular chili, be it with beans, without beans, with burger, with steak, chunky, soupy... you get the idea. But I could probably only eat a cup of Cincinnati chili, plain, by itself. It was more like a Greek sauce than a chili, IMO. It had a nice spiciness and depth to it, but is probably better suited to be served on something, like they suggest. I used rotini so I could still use a spoon. Albeit a large spoon :angel:
I'll make it again, but I will serve it the same way, on pasta.

Here's the recipe I used if you're interested. I halved it and will get two servings. Cincinnati Chili I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Angel hair pasta with Broccoli Aglio Olio (Garlic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, chicken stock, ground red pepper flakes, ground sea salt and ground peppercorns) topped with fresh grated Romano & Parmesan cheeses. With a side of fruit salad (fresh pineapple, strawberries, gala apple, Paula red apple and banana dressed with ½ tsp honey dissolved in 1 TBSP orange juice, ½ TBSP lemon juice and a couple grinds of cinnamon).

img_1047875_0_bc029359d236ac56090753326269b7ca.jpg

img_1047875_1_e0add6509bbe28ae2ce11cd4cda74506.jpg

Sunday pot roast with potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and fresh marjoram and rosemary. Oh.. and gravy!!

Everyone's dishes look awesome!

Loafpan lasagna was delicious, but definitely not photogenic. I used too much water.

Sometime today I'll be heating up some of the Cincinnati chili I made last night and serving over pasta, topped with cheddar cheese. I'm getting hungry again now though... I'm sure I'll have some other "fillers" in there somewhere.
Oh, Pacanis. Cincinnati chili is my Christmas party specialty. Every year I make more (for the same number of guests) and every year the pot is scraped clean. Go over to Ethnic and post your recipe! I know there are several foods that are better aged, but this is one. I wouldn't dream of serving it unless it sat around for a day or two!

We grilled baby back ribs tonight using a homemade rub and apple wood in our smokebox.
We served these babies with a bibb lettuce salad and balsamic vinagrette starter, and baked sweet potatoes on the side.
Had friends over and ate out on the patio.
Was a delightful evening.

Thanks for the tip, Claire. I'll make sure not to skimp on the overnight rest.
That was probably the first time I cooked knowing it was for the next day's meal.

Yeah, there are a few dishes that taste better after sitting overnight (at the least), and Cincinatti chili is definitely one. Doing it that way makes it easier if you're doing for entertaining anyway. On the day of the party, I stick it on the lowest heat burner when I wake up in the morning, stopping to stir whenever I'm in the kitchen. A big crock pot would work as well. I make several types of chili, and this one always surprises me with its following in my community. And I don't have any Greeks who show up for it!

Back
Top Bottom