Sunday dinner Sonny, what is it? (Mar 18/12)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Italian sweet sausage (large crumbles browned out of the casing), multi colored bell peppers (yellow, orange, red and green), onions, fresh garlic and canned whole peeled tomatoes and seasoning) served with ciabatta rolls. And a mixed salad (red & green butter lettuce, spring mix wild baby field greens, shredded red & green cabbage, grated carrot, sliced mushroom cap, alfalfa sprouts, vine tomato, roasted sliced almonds, McCormick Perfect Pinch and black olives) dressed with Good Seasons Basil vinaigrette.

Ms M, another feast for the eyes....I wish you lived closer so it could be a feast for my tummy too! :yum:

This was an unusual meal for us. We were breaking in a "new to us" gas grill that we got for a song from a friend who is moving. So tonight we had inch thick t-bones and rib steaks with grilled garlic bread (made from a crusty seedy loaf) rice pilaf thick with sliced almonds and tumeric mashed cauliflower. Dessert was a dab of butter pecan icecream smothered in fresh strawberries, bananas,hot fudge, whipped cream and sliced almonds. It's a darned good thing we can't afford to eat like this every day!

Since we didn't get to have it yesterday (had yummy guacamole burgers at our friends' yesterday) today is our corned beef and cabbage day. :cool:
At the risk of breaking my arm patting myself on the back, that was the best corned beef and cabbage meal I have ever made--it was perfect! I always love it, but it seems like I always overcook either the meat or the potatoes, but this time it was so good!

I made some turkey chili with fire roasted stewed tomatoes and a side of homemade, sweet cornbread!

since the weather was so nice, we took a ride down the shore to play games on the boardwalk, and have dinner at our favourite little divey fish market/seafood restaurant in point pleasent, "spike's".
it's a tiny place right on a dock that's reminscient of one of the new england clam shacks that dot the down east coast from maine to connecticut. the food is always great albeit a bit pricey for a dive. however, they certainly know how to cook fish.

we all started with clam chowder (n.e. for my boy and i, manhattan for dw).
for entrees, dw had blackened tuna with asparagus, red peppers, and a baked spud:; my boy had the mini crabcakes; and i had the broiled fisherman's platter (locally caught flounder, diver scallops, clams, and gulf shrimp).
everything was good but my broiled clams were outstanding. with nothing but a dusting of paprika on them, the clams were sweet and juicy, and intensely clammy from being broiled. i've never had clams that way before, but i'm going to have to try it.
yet another reason to want a pro salamander.

My son and his children took me out to dinner for my birthday. I picked Gridiron Grill, so it was the usual pub fair. I picked that place because it is close, has lots of TV's to watch the basketball playoffs, the menu is family friendly for all ages and I like their Philly Cheese Steak Sub.:yum:

Dinner party tonight. My wife has 8 co-workers coming over, including her boss and two big wigs from their office in India who have never been to the states before. We are having:

• Chile Marinated Grilled Chicken
  • Southwest Black Beans
  • Oven Baked Saffron Rice
  • Cucumbers in Mint Yogurt Dressing
  • Mediterranean Lentil Salad
  • Homemade Sourdough Bread
  • Three kinds of homemade Sorbet: Blood Orange, Lemon Mint, and Lime Basil
  • Assorted Cheeses and Fruits
  • Homemade Gewurztraminer and Tempranillo wines

Since the guys from India aren't familiar with American flavors, I thought I would try to make some dishes that include ingredients you might find in Indian cuisine, but in a different context. One of the fellows apparently remarked to someone else that he thought American food was bland. I'm working to erase that notion.

I've been cooking since yesterday morning.

NEED the recipes for the sorbets, please.

When you are done in the kitchen...:rolleyes:

Am in the same camp as Barbara. Our corned beef was awesome. It's always good, but this one was especially tasty.

I've been doing it the last several years in the crock-pot and see no reason to change back to any other method. I did do two things differently this time, though. Instead of putting water over the meat, I used beer.

And, I steamed the cabbage quarters a little before adding them to the pot to finish. That left us with bright green, al dente cabbage with the corned beef flavor. Really, really delicious and made the presentation quite attractive.

The cream puffs were wonderful, too, and I was particularly pleased with the mousse-like chocolate topping I made. Nice and light and delicate.

NEED the recipes for the sorbets, please.

When you are done in the kitchen...:rolleyes:
It was a long couple of days in the kitchen, but the food all came out very good, and the Indian guys seemed to like everything. I think the sorbet was a completely alien concept to them. One of them said, "I've never eaten ice before, but I like it." :)

Anyway, the recipes. I found them all online and made them all using an ice cream machine. I followed the same recipe for both the lemon-mint and lime-basil sorbets, just swapping out the main ingredients. I left the proportions the same.
Basil-Lime Sorbet Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Here is the blood orange recipe I used.
Blood Orange Sorbet Recipe | David Lebovitz
Note that, although the recipe doesn't say to do so, I added the zest from a couple of the oranges to the sorbet. I loved this sorbet. It's very intensely flavored and fragrant.

Note that you may have to adjust the sugar up or down, depending on the sweetness of the citrus you are using. For example, the only limes I was able to get in bulk were key limes, which are quite a bit more sour than standard Persian limes. When I first used our daughter as a Guinea pig to taste the liquid, she said "it's so sour it makes my glands seize up." She has a way with words, that one does. :LOL: I like "sour", though. Maybe you do, too.

Last edited:
It was a long couple of days in the kitchen, but the food all came out very good, and the Indian guys seemed to like everything. I think the sorbet was a completely alien concept to them. One of them said, "I've never eaten ice before, but I like it." :)

Anyway, the recipes. I found them all online and made them all using an ice cream machine. I followed the same recipe for both the lemon-mint and lime-basil sorbets, just swapping out the main ingredients. I left the proportions the same.
Basil-Lime Sorbet Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Here is the blood orange recipe I used.
Blood Orange Sorbet Recipe | David Lebovitz
Note that, although the recipe doesn't say to do so, I added the zest from a couple of the oranges to the sorbet. I loved this sorbet. It's very intensely flavored and fragrant.

Note that you may have to adjust the sugar up or down, depending on the sweetness of the citrus you are using. For example, the only limes I was able to get in bulk were key limes, which are quite a bit more sour than standard Persian limes. When I first used our daughter as a Guinea pig to taste the liquid, she said "it's so sour it makes my glands seize up." She has a way with words, that one does. :LOL: I like "sour", though. Maybe you do, too.

Love sour! Thanks, Steve! It will be a cool summer.

Dinner party tonight. My wife has 8 co-workers coming over, including her boss and two big wigs from their office in India who have never been to the states before. We are having:

• Chile Marinated Grilled Chicken
  • Southwest Black Beans
  • Oven Baked Saffron Rice
  • Cucumbers in Mint Yogurt Dressing
  • Mediterranean Lentil Salad
  • Homemade Sourdough Bread
  • Three kinds of homemade Sorbet: Blood Orange, Lemon Mint, and Lime Basil
  • Assorted Cheeses and Fruits
  • Homemade Gewurztraminer and Tempranillo wines

Since the guys from India aren't familiar with American flavors, I thought I would try to make some dishes that include ingredients you might find in Indian cuisine, but in a different context. One of the fellows apparently remarked to someone else that he thought American food was bland. I'm working to erase that notion.

I've been cooking since yesterday morning.
Wow, Steve, if you do this again, I'll volunteer to be a sous chef!

Back
Top Bottom