"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Dinner party tonight. My wife has 8 co-workers coming over, including her boss and two big wigs from their office in India who have never been to the states before. We are having:
  • Chile Marinated Grilled Chicken
  • Southwest Black Beans
  • Oven Baked Saffron Rice
  • Cucumbers in Mint Yogurt Dressing
  • Mediterranean Lentil Salad
  • Homemade Sourdough Bread
  • Three kinds of homemade Sorbet: Blood Orange, Lemon Mint, and Lime Basil
  • Assorted Cheeses and Fruits
  • Homemade Gewurztraminer and Tempranillo wines

Since the guys from India aren't familiar with American flavors, I thought I would try to make some dishes that include ingredients you might find in Indian cuisine, but in a different context. One of the fellows apparently remarked to someone else that he thought American food was bland. I'm working to erase that notion.

I've been cooking since yesterday morning.
NEED the recipes for the sorbets, please.

When you are done in the kitchen...

Old 03-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Am in the same camp as Barbara. Our corned beef was awesome. It's always good, but this one was especially tasty.

I've been doing it the last several years in the crock-pot and see no reason to change back to any other method. I did do two things differently this time, though. Instead of putting water over the meat, I used beer.

And, I steamed the cabbage quarters a little before adding them to the pot to finish. That left us with bright green, al dente cabbage with the corned beef flavor. Really, really delicious and made the presentation quite attractive.

The cream puffs were wonderful, too, and I was particularly pleased with the mousse-like chocolate topping I made. Nice and light and delicate.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #33
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
NEED the recipes for the sorbets, please.

When you are done in the kitchen...
It was a long couple of days in the kitchen, but the food all came out very good, and the Indian guys seemed to like everything. I think the sorbet was a completely alien concept to them. One of them said, "I've never eaten ice before, but I like it."

Anyway, the recipes. I found them all online and made them all using an ice cream machine. I followed the same recipe for both the lemon-mint and lime-basil sorbets, just swapping out the main ingredients. I left the proportions the same.
Basil-Lime Sorbet Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Here is the blood orange recipe I used.
Blood Orange Sorbet Recipe | David Lebovitz
Note that, although the recipe doesn't say to do so, I added the zest from a couple of the oranges to the sorbet. I loved this sorbet. It's very intensely flavored and fragrant.

Note that you may have to adjust the sugar up or down, depending on the sweetness of the citrus you are using. For example, the only limes I was able to get in bulk were key limes, which are quite a bit more sour than standard Persian limes. When I first used our daughter as a Guinea pig to taste the liquid, she said "it's so sour it makes my glands seize up." She has a way with words, that one does. I like "sour", though. Maybe you do, too.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
It was a long couple of days in the kitchen, but the food all came out very good, and the Indian guys seemed to like everything. I think the sorbet was a completely alien concept to them. One of them said, "I've never eaten ice before, but I like it."

Anyway, the recipes. I found them all online and made them all using an ice cream machine. I followed the same recipe for both the lemon-mint and lime-basil sorbets, just swapping out the main ingredients. I left the proportions the same.
Basil-Lime Sorbet Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Here is the blood orange recipe I used.
Blood Orange Sorbet Recipe | David Lebovitz
Note that, although the recipe doesn't say to do so, I added the zest from a couple of the oranges to the sorbet. I loved this sorbet. It's very intensely flavored and fragrant.

Note that you may have to adjust the sugar up or down, depending on the sweetness of the citrus you are using. For example, the only limes I was able to get in bulk were key limes, which are quite a bit more sour than standard Persian limes. When I first used our daughter as a Guinea pig to taste the liquid, she said "it's so sour it makes my glands seize up." She has a way with words, that one does. I like "sour", though. Maybe you do, too.
Love sour! Thanks, Steve! It will be a cool summer.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Dinner party tonight. My wife has 8 co-workers coming over, including her boss and two big wigs from their office in India who have never been to the states before. We are having:
  • Chile Marinated Grilled Chicken
  • Southwest Black Beans
  • Oven Baked Saffron Rice
  • Cucumbers in Mint Yogurt Dressing
  • Mediterranean Lentil Salad
  • Homemade Sourdough Bread
  • Three kinds of homemade Sorbet: Blood Orange, Lemon Mint, and Lime Basil
  • Assorted Cheeses and Fruits
  • Homemade Gewurztraminer and Tempranillo wines

Since the guys from India aren't familiar with American flavors, I thought I would try to make some dishes that include ingredients you might find in Indian cuisine, but in a different context. One of the fellows apparently remarked to someone else that he thought American food was bland. I'm working to erase that notion.

I've been cooking since yesterday morning.
Wow, Steve, if you do this again, I'll volunteer to be a sous chef!

Tags
dinner