Sunday Dinner Thread, Oct 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
What's cooking today folks?

My dinner will be my fifth entry in the PPPC. Since my Browns are sitting at home today (bye week), I won't be able to make a food from the opposing team's city, so I decided to make a food Cleveland is known for. Actually, quite a few cities in the midwest are known for this, including Pittsburgh! Go figure :huh:
It's Pierogi day! My first time making these. I'll probably start them sometime during the day and finish them up by sautéeing in onion and butter come dinner time. And another food will grace my plate (just in case the pierogi don't come out ;)) some fried Lake Erie walleye :) Fish Fry and Pierogi Night, a very popular dish in these parts.

Anyone else have a plan yet?

Having Thanksgiving dinner with my Mom and her husband, and his family tonight.

Happy thanksgiving weekend to all my fellow Canadians !!!

Your dinner sounds wonderful, Pac.

I received a 1-1/2# can of cook beef in juices. I heated it in a skillet and poured off the juices (and fat) to separate after chilling, and am using the meat to start a big pot of chili. I added a package of taco seasoning, a can of stewed tomatoes and 2 cans of tomato sauce. I'll add chili powder and cumin and heat through, then put into the fridge to rest all day.

I'll make some rice with a handful of frozen mixed veggies to serve it over and a sprinkle of shredded taco cheeses on top.

Have a great time at your Mom's, Saph. Sounds nice.

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends! May your turkey be moist and tasty!

Best wishes for your pierogis, Pac! I envy you your walleye. Zhizara, your chili sounds so good!

I have a cute little roast destined for the CP. Am thinking shredded beef something.

Last edited:
Thanks, Z. Thanks, Dawg. I'm looking forward to getting things started soon. I've got a nice SS bowl picked out that will work well as my dough cutter.

I'll bet that canned beef makes an excellent meat for chili, Z.

Happy Thanksgiving all! The pies and cheesecakes are chillin' the turkey is brining and waiting its stuffing, the side dishes are yet to be created, but they will happen soon. All is in readiness and we are all enjoying the togetherness this weekend brings. I'm thankful for such a wonderful supportive husband and family, and for good friends who share my life. You all fall into both categories, friends and family alike. Thanks for bringing bits of your wisdom and world to my life.

pacanis, be lazy like me and just cut your pierogi dough in squares, then fold them into triangles. Less dough waste, and the pointy bits are the tastiest part!

pacanis, be lazy like me and just cut your pierogi dough in squares, then fold them into triangles. Less dough waste, and the pointy bits are the tastiest part!

No way baby. They are going to be half moons and they are going to be gorgeous.

:LOL:

Good tip though.

In keeping with the "let's deplete the food stores before going away" for a couple of weeks, some leftover linguini with tomato cream sauce, a couple of Italian sausage, and a salad with the last of the lettuce.

Smoked chicken breast stuffed with extra sharp white cheddar cheese. Roasted red potatoes and steamed asparagus.

Elvis Presley's favorite pound cake for dessert.

An unusual wedding. A couple in their 40s getting married and having the reception in a local restaurant. One can only hope there's a TV. Imagine scheduling in conflict with a Pats-Jets game!

I picked up some gorgeous bone-in pork chops that are about 3/4" thick. We'll be having those seasoned with garlic, pepper and sage. Baked russets with all the trimmings and roasted cauliflower to go with. I have a Nobilo Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc to drink with dinner. Might even use a bit of it to make a quick pan sauce from whatever is in the pan after cooking the chops.

Thanks, Z. Thanks, Dawg. I'm looking forward to getting things started soon. I've got a nice SS bowl picked out that will work well as my dough cutter.

I'll bet that canned beef makes an excellent meat for chili, Z.

A quick taste before refrigerating says it will be really good. I added my power chili spices (ginger, ground cloves, allspice and some brown sugar) these give it that punch of flavor and makes the tomatoes less acid.

Back
Top Bottom