Sunday Eats: What's for dinner 8/25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
So what's the plan for dinner?

We are having BLTs and macaroni salad. I just picked 2 HUGE tomatoes from the garden.

DH came back with a huge sub from Walmart yesterday, it actually had very little flavor despite all the meats and cheeses, so I think I'll bake it and add many, many condiments.

Not sure. We had burgers for lunch after church so I'm not really hungry! We'll see what we're in the mood for come dinner time.

Have no interest in cooking today, and *gasp* I'm out of leftovers. We have some random lunchmeats (a rare occurrence around here) so it will be sammies with a salad. Nothing fancy - I think I'm on strike today but I'm too disinterested to figure it out. :LOL:

I bought a half bone-in turkey breast for Shrek, I will be roasting that, I was going to do up some red potatoes, but they are yucky! This hot weather plays havoc with produce. I have some mashed potatoes frozen from another meal, I will warm those and a light grape salad with orange dressing on greens.

I went to the store to pick up some cream, scallions and mushrooms (which I did get BTW) for some creamy Cajun chicken... but... also left with some broccoli and a small prime rib roast. I am going to attempt to cook that little roast on the grill. Kind of a hybrid Perfect Prime Rib from Food Wishes method, since no way do I have the time to let it come up to room temp and no way is my grill as airtight as my oven.
It will either come out like prime rib or come out like grilled beef.

I planned to have my son over for dinner for his 27th birthday celebration, which was yesterday, but he has been on tour with his band for the last week and has played in 4 different cities in 5 nights. He called me from my house, where he stores some of his belongings and asked if I would be disapointed if he just returned to the city because he is beat and hasn't had a shower in a couple of days and has no clean clothes left. :LOL:

So, we have some tenderloin in the fridge which has to be eaten because I am off to the city to see him tomorrow. I think I will eat it with peppercorn sauce, baked potato, and some Ceasar salad....

Last edited:
I have half a London broil that needs cooking, so I will sear it on the grill pan and serve with chimichurri sauce. We also have already-cooked mussels in the freezer, left over from when DH took his teachers on their retreat and made low-country boil. I'm going to make mussels in white wine-garlic-butter-parsley sauce garnished with chopped tomatoes, with toasted baguette slices for sopping. Green salad on the side.

In thinking grilled burgers (sans the bun) served with onion jam. Macaroni salad and maybe some fresh green beans from the garden, if the deer have left us any :/. On my way out to check for beans now, wish me luck :)

So, we have some tenderloin in the fridge which has to be eaten because I am off to the city to see him tomorrow. I think I will eat it with peppercorn sauce, baked potato, and some Caesar salad....

Went with a sauce comprised of garlic, shallots, black peppercorns, Szechuan pepper, crushed allspice, Medera wine, beef stock, and 18% cream,

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
I'm not cooking tonight. Ken is making dinner. We have some of our own potatoes, some swiss chard, BBQed chicken breast and tomato avocado salad. Yum.

Half a (convection) roasted Cornish hen, stuffing, cold fresh string bean salad and pan gravy

img_1294869_0_ad3ebb9547899a7813e9dd5f4523f958.jpg

Well that wasn't tough at all. I don't see what all the beef is about cooking prime rib. You can pretty much wing it as long as you have a thermometer. burp :rolleyes:

Well my strike worked pretty good - seems like management got hungry. Ended up going to Ruby Tueday's - one of the few chain restaurants we like. Printed off a discount coupon - $10 off two dinners. :) Our trash hauler participates in a recycling program called "Recycle Rewards". You get points for recycling and can redeem the points for discounts and stuff like a one-year subscription to over 40 magazines. So, in a manner of speaking, we ate our garbage tonight! :yum: We like to go there for their salad bar - it includes fresh-made, inhouse pumpernickel croutons. OH yum!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom