Sunday Funday 4/26/15. What's Goin' on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I made Tom Kha soup. DH loved it. I couldn't find the shrimp buried in the freezer, but aha!, I found the scallops. So that.

What's up?

Been kind of a lazy day at our house. Had a late breakfast and I spent some time outside spray painting a huge lightweight flower pot so I could use it to put a rose in it. Our soil is one step below a brick, claywise, so anything like roses has to be put in containers.

Knowing I was going to be outside some of the time today, I put a nice piece of beef in the crock-pot, along with oodles of veggies and some beef broth and red wine to make a pot roast. We'll have either mashed taters or rice to sop the gravy, some freshly-made (they're in the oven now) cast iron rolls, iced tea and raspberry buckle to finish. I know there'll be lots of leftovers, which is a good thing.

Headache, Day Four (Five?). Doc took me off a small amount of med. Thinking of starting it up today rather than wait until I call him tomorrow to tell him I'm going back on it.

OK, so much for my pity-me part of the post. :LOL: Since I felt the best while making supper last night, I think I'll make a pot of an Italian Soup with Meatballs from a recipe I found in "relish.com". Then again, Himself is feeling bad for me so he might rather go get take-out. I won't stop him. ;)

Go for the take-out, CG. I know I don't want to cook with a headache.

I thawed some pork chops and am planning to make homemade applesauce. I think I'll pan-sear the pork chops with maple syrup, cinnamon and cayenne and probably some potatoes diced, seasoned and roasted in the toaster oven.

Last edited:
I had a couple of leftover fried chicken drums from yesterday, and a loaded up salad.

Pancetta wrapped pork tenderloin with a rub of garlic, rosemary, lemon zest. Sides were roasted tri-color baby potatoes and green beans with onions, garlic and stewed tomatoes.

Modified a copycat recipe of Zuppa Toscana soup, delicious!

Corn and bacon waffles topped with butter, sugar free maple syrup, strawberry preserves and sour cream.

img_1419704_0_4c18178249f7a50e29849eb72bf9c80e.jpg

Grilled pork chops, fresh steamed green beans, corn on the cob, and applesauce. For dessert, a slice of cheesecake. Yum!

Look, if all this keeps up seeing all your goodies for dinner, I'm going to start making house calls. LOL!

Pirate made a pan of fried pasta with peas, mushrooms and pasta sauce in olive oil. Surprisingly, it was very good. Not much left.

I think I found the way for me to be able eat. I had just one large spoonful and when that was gone, I went back for a second spoonful. I don't feel overwhelmed with just a small amount of food on my plate. :angel:

Go for the take-out, CG. I know I don't want to cook with a headache...
I'm pretty stubborn, so I cooked! Making supper distracts me, so it's the one time my head doesn't ache. Go figure.

The soup was good. I'll make it again, but with some tweaking. Needs a little more "oomph". I think I'll saute some bulk Italian sausage to start, and add a couple of sliced garlic with the rest of the veggies that get softened in the olive oil-soon-to-be-sausage-drippings. If anyone is interested, here's a link to the recipe: White Bean and Vegetable Soup with Meatballs.

I picked up a family pack of BSCB's at the market this morning and saved one out while I was wrapping the others for the freezer.

I used it to make Buffalo chicken fingers for dinner along with a cucumber salad.

I have earmarked another one of them to make an Aunt Bea version of msmofet's hot dogs with tomato and onion. I will swap out the hot dogs and substitute chunks of chicken breast.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/ms-mofets-hot-dogs-with-tomato-and-onions-92842.html

I made this since I was given the ingredients and recipe. I doubled the amount of rice and asparagus because it didn't seem like enough. The pic is from the food photographer--I was way too hungry to take a picture:

Attachments

• Chefx_shrimp.jpg
    Chefx_shrimp.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 159
Back
Top Bottom