Sunday Funday. What's cookin'? 2/26/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can imagine CD! I'm so sorry you injured yourself, that must be very painful, and that's not even to mention bloody.

Please let me give you a little bit of brotherly advice: Don't do that again!!!

Geez, LP! Not good!

I have a kevlar glove too. The pusher thing annoys me. I'd probably have slices of Dawg in my food too.

What about me Greg? I'm the one with the current owie! :(

;)
Sorry, I guess I lost track of who is who in this topic. But my advice was meant for you! :)

And really, that must be very painful.

Y'ever think of getting a sous chef to help your cooking?

Last edited:
After 12 years of culinary school and catering I only cut myself once and that was the second day of class when we got our knives. Our chef instructor said to be careful as these knives (MAC from Japan) can cut you and you don't even feel it.

He was right. I didn't feel it until 6 stitches later.

We used mandolines in school without guards and I continued that way in my business...though I made my staff use them.

I will use the guard from now on, promise.

And GG - I will be looking for one of those gloves for sure.

Sorry, I guess I lost track of who is who in this topic. But my advice was meant for you! :)

And really, that must be very painful.

Y'ever think of getting a sous chef to help your cooking?

I know you meant it for me, I was just trying to kid around. I guess I am still feeling the effects of the pain meds they gave me last night.

The good thing about having chronic pain is that you can just treat it like the rest of your pain and you don't actually feel it as something new.

Oh and about a sous chef, he was actually the one who distracted me while i was slicing!

Last edited:
Oh and about a sous chef, he was actually the one who distracted me while i was slicing!
Yeah, I have a pretty good idea who you are referring to! :LOL:

I was once using my Henckels filet knife when a fly started buzzing around my head, and not thinking I shooed him away with the hand that was holding the knife! Somehow I smacked my other hand with the knife and put deep cuts in at least 3 fingers! And that knife was in very sharp condition!

I ended up grabbing a wad of paper towels and wrapped my left (cut) hand in the paper towels, and finished cooking and eating my dinner. By then my cuts had clotted up enough that I was able to clean and bandage my hand.

I have another story but I think I've said quite enough by now. :)

Last edited:
Ya, I think the topic of owies should be laid to rest for now. :)

But I appreciate everyone's well wishes and advice!

:ohmy:

Oh dear, those finger tip cuts are the worst, they never stop bleeding. Trust me, I've had my share. :(

I hope you feel better.

I can imagine CD! I'm so sorry you injured yourself, that must be very painful, and that's not even to mention bloody.

Please let me give you a little bit of brotherly advice: Don't do that again!!!

Like I said before, I threw that brand new mandoline away. So, it won't be happening again. I think I paid around 50 bucks for the mandoline, and about 400 bucks at the ER. It was a pricey learning experience.

CD

Craig is not allowed to use the big mandoline in our house because he tends to get distracted by the TV, epecially if football is on, and then OWIE. He does use the little handheld Kyocera though and seems to do okay with that one. I've only cut myself once on the big mandoline once when I got a bit distracted because we were talking. Not bad fortunately, but now I pay attention.

I love my mandolines (I have two, a cheapo plastic one, and a more expensive SS one). And I love my kevlar glove.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom