Sunday Night Dinner 8/17/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kat Brandhuber

Assistant Cook
In my family Sunday night dinner was always a big deal. It's now my tradition too.

Tonight I'm making Roasted Beef Shoulder with potatoes and carrots!

What about y'all?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I've already had the big meal for today, sort of a brunch.

I had bangers, oven roasted zucchini, onions and garlic, with a side of cottage cheese.

I'm not sure if the bangers are authentic or not, I mixed up a quarter of this recipe yesterday and let it mellow in the fridge overnight.

Homemade British Bangers and the Search for Rusk | The Paupered Chef

I substituted dry bread crumbs for the rusks and dried sage for the fresh. I did not whip the mixture or stuff it into casings, I just shaped it into patties and fried it in a lightly oiled CI pan. I very much enjoyed the spice combination. I think next time I will add a little cayenne or a dash more ginger. This is going into the file for the winter/Christmas season!

Last edited:
Herb-crusted and roasted pork loin, steamed baby asparagus and, since the Italian green beans are still bearing, a bowl of them steamed and topped with a little butter, quartered fresh tomatoes, iced tea and, for dessert...just-made blackberry cobbler.

Ooh, blackberry cobbler sounds delicious! Matter of fact, it all sounds great.

Ooh, blackberry cobbler sounds delicious! Matter of fact, it all sounds great.

Our blackberry vines have been very generous the last couple of years and the cobbler recipe is one of the best I've tried. It came out of the July 2012 issue of Southern Living magazine. Check out this link to get the recipe.

I usually add extra blackberries and sprinkle the top generously with sanding sugar before I put it in to bake. Pretty darn tasty!!

Thank you! I'll have to try it out. :)

Since I had my big meal for breakfast (two eggs, steamed kale, brown rice), I'm going with another monster salad tonight. My meals are so boring and predictable at this time of year. I got to cook something different yesterday thanks to TL and Stirling visiting for late lunch, but back to the grind.

Do you put anything on your kale after you steam it?

Tonight there will be an encore appearance of the Pinoy Pork Barbecue we had for dinner Friday night.

Leftovers can always be re purposed!

pork roast.jpg

Trader Joe's Pork Roast Florentine
Roasted Green Beans with garlic, olive oil and oregano
Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes with garlic and olive oil
Apple Annie's Apple Bread (we call it cake, it's so moist and dense) for dessert

Sunday "Roast"ed dinner :)

This thread has started early, but I have been cooking since 10:00 am, here's whats going on. BBQ & grilling. I grilled some Cajun sausages then slow smoked a bone-in turkey breast,
with gumbo seasoning over apple wood. Glazed it with jalapeno jelly. That will be made into "Turkey Sausage Gumbo"
Tonight I will grill a flank steak marinated in Madeira wine, spices & soy sauce. Next will be, skewered scallops, (skewered w/ fresh rosemary stems) and drizzled w/ olive oil and salt and pepper.

Tacos! Been eating these things since the early 50's and never tire of them. Make'em 'comfort food' style with crisp shells, spiced ground turkey, onions, tomatoes, sharp cheddar, chopped kale and 3 different types of taco sauce.

Kale on tacos? Never would've thought of that, but it sounds delicious.

Daughter requested the classic spaghetti w/meat sauce, ceasar salad and garlic bread with cheese...so...that's what we are going with.....Hagen Daz ice cream bars for dessert. Like my big gut needs it...:rolleyes::LOL:

Son-in-law has the graveyard shift for the next few days, so daughter and grandson are coming for dinner this evening. We're having a Mexican style tamale casserole, Spanish rice, a salad with lots of crunchy veggies, and watermelon.

I just finished making the Spanish rice, and it's sitting for the next couple of hours to blend flavors.

Kayelle, I finally made that trip to TJ's and got the fixins' for the tamalitos dish you mentioned a couple of weeks ago. I love TJ's bottled enchilada sauce - as far as prepared sauce goes, I think it's one of the best out there. They didn't have the tamalitos, so I'm using regular sized tamales. Should be a hit with everyone. Thanks again! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom