Sunday, September 17, 2017, are you grillin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Since Craig will be smoking our speck with alder, we decided to try 1 of Steven Raichlin's (sp?) recipes, smoked shrimp and corn chowder.

We're going to be having leftovers from lunch today - angel hair pasta with homemade tomato & meat sauce, will fix a salad and some toasted bread to go with it. Haven't a clue as to what to have for dessert.

Sunday Brunch - I will be starting with a mixed berries salad with a dollop of crème fraiche. I had my heart set on Monte Cristos for Sunday Brunch today. I bought Texas Toast bread and everything. But at 0300 this morning I realized I have no ham, no turkey, and only one slice of Swiss Cheese. So it's either drag my lazy ass over to the store this morning, or use the Texas Toast bread to make French toast with breakfast sausages and make Monte Cristos at a later date. Beverages will be coffee and mimosas, both in copious amounts.

Sunday Dinner - I haven't done Italian for a while, so I'm thinking maybe lasagna with meat sauce, or some macaroni shape with Italian sausages and grandma's sauce. I also have one serving of penne rigate a la mulignun and one serving of veal marsala with fettucini alfredo under blue lids in the freezer to choose from. Beverage will be a 2014 Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'Abruzzo

Last edited:
I'm defrosting a mini pork loin roast which I will later brine in an apple cider brine and roast. I plan to make an apple flavored gravy to top it off. Not sure what the sides will be yet.

We're doing a BBQ chuckie today [emoji38] aka a pulled, smoked chuck roast. It's on the smoker now; later, we'll put it in an aluminum pan with a bottle of stout and a bunch of chopped peppers and onions, cover it and let it cook for a while. Then remove the meat, pull it, add stuff to make barbecue sauce and put it all back on the smoker uncovered for a couple more hours. Love this stuff :yum: Salad on the side, I guess.

We'll also stick some chicken legs in there for DH's lunches this week.

Last edited:
I finally made my cheddar bacon potato soup yesterday and just in time. The temp isn't supposed to go over 60 for the next 4 days. So I'll just be having a bowl of soup every day for the whole week and that may be supper tonight as well.

I found a recipe from a friend who has sadly passed away, so I just felt why not make it. My friend was from Texas, which town I dont remember, I knew they where not farmers and this was the family's Sunday dinner every second Sunday and it for them was special. So I start reading and realize , is six portions, so I need to do half...and I start wonder how much people eat!

This is how to plate it: 3 beef patties ( 5 oz in total), 2 cups spicy roasted potatoes, a quarter of iceberg lettuce with ranch, half cup of corn and cheese ( corn in a cheese sauce), 1/3 cup home made salsa, 1/2 cup re fried beans and gravy, greens beans.

I ended up only doing patties, potatoes, corn and cheese, salsa and lettuce ( no ranch) and we were stuffed and I have food left! I also made less, like 1/3 of of the original recipe. No one had room for the apple pie suggested as dessert, so I gave that to the neighbour.

I will some day in the future when I have guests try the full recipe for this dinner, I just want to know how it taste.

Had kebabs on the grill tonight, which were marinated in Lebanese shawarma seasoning.

jYIJyyy.jpg

Didn't take a pic, but our dinner was very good. Surprising depth of flavor for such a short time of cooking. We did greatly decrease the the time of smoking for the shrimp, as well as the time in the actual chowder because we thought it was very excessive at 30 plus minutes in total, and did increase the smoking time and cooking time for the corn. All in all, a definite make again with our changes. Oh, we didn't chop up the shrimp, left it whole.

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/smoked-shrimp-corn-chowder/

I am going to grill some pork tenderloins I have had marinading in some Stubb's Pork Marinade since last night. I have my own recipes, but I really like the Stubb's. I haven't decided on sides, yet. Something quick and easy.

Craig, I hope you got that grill grate spotless and shiny. Steven Raichlen would be grading you on your grill marks. :rolleyes: :LOL:

CD

Wow, everyone had such tasty sounding Sunday dinners this evening! Steve and MsM, your dinners look wonderful. :yum:

Busy day today, so dinner was just easy pickin's. I had some leftover chicken so I made a small chicken salad this morning, and had that this evening with crackers, a deviled egg, and a couple of wedges of cantaloupe. Ice cream soon.

Himself was making yummy noises about tonight's fish. I brought to his attention the fact that the jar of The Spice House's "Lake Shore Drive" seasoning was almost empty. He really enjoys that on most of the fish I prepare, as well as a generous amount in scrambled eggs. Logged into Spice House to buy a refill bag...and came away $49 poorer! :LOL: Oh, I DID end up with five other items...

BTW, tonight's salad was a version of Caprese salad - I included baby spinach with the romaine.

Attachments

• 20170917_213457.jpg
    20170917_213457.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 131
Ah Beetz' ah.

(Say it with a heavy Italian accent)

A slice with various veggies, a slice with sausage and onions, and a slice with diced raw red onion and Frank's Hot Sauce.

Well, the pork tenderloin came out so good, that I actually took a picture. I managed to nail the temperature, so it was tender, juicy, and had just a touch of pink left in it.

I brought the marinade up to a simmer, and reduced it to make a sauce. I ate it my favorite way, slices of pork tenderloin on some crackers with sauce dribbled on top.

Tomorrow... pork tenderloin sliders.

CD

Attachments

• PorkTender001.jpg
    PorkTender001.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Craig, I hope you got that grill grate spotless and shiny. Steven Raichlen would be grading you on your grill marks. :rolleyes: :LOL:

CD

Nothing like having new equipment every time. Plus all the ones in the background billowing nasty white smoke.:angel::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom