Sunday September 30, what's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neighbors just got back from a Canada fishing trip. Fresh fried walleye and birthday cake tonight!

We had kalops a Swedish beef stew with carrots and potatoes .

We all loved it and we had dessert to, tried a pudding mix, smelled more then it tasted.

I had picked up three different prepared raviolis (Three Bridges) last week and decided today would be a good time for two of them, a chicken-prosciutto and a butternut squash. I made a browned butter-sage sauce for the butternut, and made Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter for the chicken. The butter-sage-butternut raviolis were very nice. We enjoyed the chicken-prosciutto raviolis, but both of us were completely underwhelmed by the sauce. For all I've read over the years about it being "classic" and "sweet", we thought it to be boringly plain.

The salads before hand weren't boring. I topped spinach and romaine with prosciutto, roasted pear slices, kalamata olives, chopped pistachios, and the last of the Queso Fresco.

Cod is soo expensive these days. It used to be the most common fish in the sea. I don't care for tapia fish. It's supposed to be the less expensive alternative to cod.

Not a vegetable in the house.. :( So we had a beige plate of baked tonkatsu with sauce and pilaf..

Ross

Attachments

• Tonkatsu with sauce.jpg
    Tonkatsu with sauce.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 144
Or avoid cod and eat wolf fish instead, yes it ugly but tasty and we can all hope the cod recovers and our grandchildren can at least see a cod.

Or avoid cod and eat wolf fish instead, yes it ugly but tasty and we can all hope the cod recovers and our grandchildren can at least see a cod.

Pacific cod is a good choice - it's sustainably managed and responsibly harvested. Atlantic wolf fish are overfished and scarce. I buy mostly Alaskan pollock/walleye. It's abundant and sustainably harvested.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom