Sunday Supper 2/12/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can buy "proper" pizza boxes in the UK so your family/guests will think your home-made pizzas are "real" ones.

The world gets madder!

Baby bok choy replaced the spinach and sesame seeds with green onion garnished the flavorful chicken dish with Lo Mein noodles.

img_1498888_0_f02a6eb18fecfbbb0226b15152cf4833.jpg

Very nice dish Kayelee.

Yesterday was baking-therapy day. Two hours to make this lil baby, but worth every bite. It's Rosy Beranbaum's Chicken Pot Pie, the best I've ever had. I made this a few weeks ago and I had to have it again, even though it's a huge pain in the ass.

1539907_chicken_pie.jpg

Follow up post: The chops came out amazing. COSTCO lamb has never let me down. Actually, most of their meats have been great. My only bad purchase was some sea scallops that were really tough and chewy.

The sous vide and cast-iron cooking combo worked perfectly. The chops were "like butta." Oh, I seasoned them with salt and pepper, and some Herbes de Provence. I read online somewhere (maybe here) that Herbes de Provence was good with sous vide lamb chops. I'm glad I did. It was a perfect herb blend for this lamb.

This is a meal I WILL do again.

CD

I'm another huge fan of Costco's loin lamb chops as just about our favorite meal. I always season the lill darlings with Herbes de Provence/salt/garlic. It's really a perfect blend for lamb, imo. I have a new sous vide toy I haven't used yet but frankly I have such good success with them in a screaming hot skillet, I'm a little hesitant to change a good thing. As you know, the chops are very thick, so I sear them on all 5 sides to med. rare, and it doesn't take long.

Another +1 for Costco lamb chops. Love them.

But like Andy, I slightly prefer the rack of lamb, they're so tender and cook up so quickly.

Has anyone tried Costo's boneless leg of lamb? It's great if you're serving lots of lamb lovers. I take it out of the elastic net and stuff it with all kinds of fresh herbs and garlic, then roll it back up and stuff it back in the net. It can be roasted or cooked on the grill to med. rare.

Has anyone tried Costo's boneless leg of lamb? It's great if you're serving lots of lamb lovers. I take it out of the elastic net and stuff it with all kinds of fresh herbs and garlic, then roll it back up and stuff it back in the net. It can be roasted or cooked on the grill to med. rare.

ME!
Our niece-in-law shared her recipe for Grilled Gingered Lamb,
ohmyGAWD!! really good.
Gosh I haven't made that in a LONG time.
Both my Mother and DH keep saying, "eww, I don't like lamb, it tastes gamey."
Um, no it doesn't! Now Mutton, that tastes gamey, which what my Danish Great Gradmother made, ACK!

I'm another huge fan of Costco's loin lamb chops as just about our favorite meal. I always season the lill darlings with Herbes de Provence/salt/garlic. It's really a perfect blend for lamb, imo. I have a new sous vide toy I haven't used yet but frankly I have such good success with them in a screaming hot skillet, I'm a little hesitant to change a good thing. As you know, the chops are very thick, so I sear them on all 5 sides to med. rare, and it doesn't take long.

Try the sous vide cook on those chops. The cool thing is that they get cooked to a perfect medium rare with absolutely no guesswork. I aim for one hour at 144-degrees(F), but if I get side tracked and they go for 30 minutes longer, no big deal -- they come out exactly the same. It is virtually impossible to overcook them.

As mentioned, I still use the screaming hot cast iron to brown them at the end, but it only takes a minute per side, and does not do any cooking on the inside. It is medium rare a the way through.

CD

Try the sous vide cook on those chops. The cool thing is that they get cooked to a perfect medium rare with absolutely no guesswork. I aim for one hour at 144-degrees(F), but if I get side tracked and they go for 30 minutes longer, no big deal -- they come out exactly the same. It is virtually impossible to overcook them.

As mentioned, I still use the screaming hot cast iron to brown them at the end, but it only takes a minute per side, and does not do any cooking on the inside. It is medium rare a the way through.

CD

Casey, by the time the chops are properly browned on all five sides, they would indeed be overcooked if they had already cooked in the sous vide. Maybe I'm missing something. I like them as rare as my steak.

Casey, by the time the chops are properly browned on all five sides, they would indeed be overcooked if they had already cooked in the sous vide. Maybe I'm missing something. I like them as rare as my steak.

It seems like that would be the case, but it isn't actually like that. Literally, all you are doing with the sous vide steak/chop/whatever, it a very quick sear. Just below the surface, the meat is still medium rare.

BTW, I only did my lamb chop sear on the two primary sides. But, I 'm pretty confident I could have done the edges, too, without overcooking the chops.

I can talk about it all day, but unless you try it, it won't make sense. I had the same doubts that you have when I did my first steak sous vide followed by a very hot sear. I thought it would take my med-rare steak to medium well. But, it didn't. It stayed medium rare all the way through. I can't explain it, it just works.

CD

Last edited:
Lamb meant for export as meat don't become sheep ;)
No, but sheep (generic term) become lamb for export.

A quote from Wikipaedia (yes, I know) says "A sheep in its first year is called a lamb, and its meat is also called lamb. The meat of a juvenile sheep older than one year is hogget; outside North America this is also a term for the living animal.The meat of an adult sheep is mutton, a term only used for the meat, not the living animals." Hoggett is rather good - more flavour than lamb but not as strong or tough as mutton sometimes is.

Programme on UK television recently about sheep farming in the UK included a smallcomparison section about sheep farming in "The Antipodes". NZ lamb isn't bad when our native stuff isn't available but comments on the programme were somewhat off-putting. As far as I know

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom