"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
Same here. I can't imagine not liking cilantro.

You might like to try this dish: Lomo Saltado.
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...tir-fry-305652

I use the above recipe as an inspiration. The changes I make are: use fresh tomatoes inside of canned, dice the jalapeno peppers,
use oven fries instead of potatoes, extra cilantro and skip the rice. To serve, I place a handful of fries on the plate and then ladle the meat/pepper/gravy on top of the fries.
Lomo Saltado should definitely be made with fresh tomatoes. When I was working in that part of the world I never saw caned being used but I am sure some home cooks do.

It's a deceptively complicated meal to time. You cooking rice, prepping everything and you want the fries done just before the stir fry is done. Adding the potatoes was a way for the Chinese immigrants to stretch rice until rice production caught up with demand.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #12
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
It's a deceptively complicated meal to time. You cooking rice, prepping everything and you want the fries done just before the stir fry is done. Adding the potatoes was a way for the Chinese immigrants to stretch rice until rice production caught up with demand.
Interesting. I had the meal for the first time at a Peruvian restaurant in Somerville and I don't recall them serving rice. Just fries. So that's why I skip the rice. The only issue is that the potatoes/fries do get a bit soggy if you don't eat it quickly. I think rice would do a better job in capturing the gravy and staying intact.

bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Lomo Saltado should definitely be made with fresh tomatoes. When I was working in that part of the world I never saw caned being used but I am sure some home cooks do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
Interesting. I had the meal for the first time at a Peruvian restaurant in Somerville and I don't recall them serving rice. Just fries. So that's why I skip the rice. The only issue is that the potatoes/fries do get a bit soggy if you don't eat it quickly. I think rice would do a better job in capturing the gravy and staying intact.
I haven't tried making this yet, although I did enjoy it at a Peruvian restaurant once. My go-to site for unusual recipes is Serious Eats. I like how they go into the history of the dish and options for various ways to cook each element, to find the best way to do it. Hth.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/03/...o-saltado.html

Tags
supper