"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 AM   #11
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
Same here. I can't imagine not liking cilantro.

You might like to try this dish: Lomo Saltado.
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...tir-fry-305652

I use the above recipe as an inspiration. The changes I make are: use fresh tomatoes inside of canned, dice the jalapeno peppers,
use oven fries instead of potatoes, extra cilantro and skip the rice. To serve, I place a handful of fries on the plate and then ladle the meat/pepper/gravy on top of the fries.
Lomo Saltado should definitely be made with fresh tomatoes. When I was working in that part of the world I never saw caned being used but I am sure some home cooks do.

It's a deceptively complicated meal to time. You cooking rice, prepping everything and you want the fries done just before the stir fry is done. Adding the potatoes was a way for the Chinese immigrants to stretch rice until rice production caught up with demand.
__________________

__________________
My blog http://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #12
Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
It's a deceptively complicated meal to time. You cooking rice, prepping everything and you want the fries done just before the stir fry is done. Adding the potatoes was a way for the Chinese immigrants to stretch rice until rice production caught up with demand.
Interesting. I had the meal for the first time at a Peruvian restaurant in Somerville and I don't recall them serving rice. Just fries. So that's why I skip the rice. The only issue is that the potatoes/fries do get a bit soggy if you don't eat it quickly. I think rice would do a better job in capturing the gravy and staying intact.
__________________

bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Lomo Saltado should definitely be made with fresh tomatoes. When I was working in that part of the world I never saw caned being used but I am sure some home cooks do.

It's a deceptively complicated meal to time. You cooking rice, prepping everything and you want the fries done just before the stir fry is done. Adding the potatoes was a way for the Chinese immigrants to stretch rice until rice production caught up with demand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
Interesting. I had the meal for the first time at a Peruvian restaurant in Somerville and I don't recall them serving rice. Just fries. So that's why I skip the rice. The only issue is that the potatoes/fries do get a bit soggy if you don't eat it quickly. I think rice would do a better job in capturing the gravy and staying intact.
I haven't tried making this yet, although I did enjoy it at a Peruvian restaurant once. My go-to site for unusual recipes is Serious Eats. I like how they go into the history of the dish and options for various ways to cook each element, to find the best way to do it. Hth.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/03/...o-saltado.html
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
supper

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.