Sunday Supper, 6/23/19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
What was on your plate for supper?

I did Chili Relleno casserole (with some Spam Chorizo) and Mexican rice on the side. Can you tell we love cilantro?

Attachments

• P6230010[1].jpg
    P6230010[1].jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
DD ordered Chinese. I had a little of each - roast pork lo mein, roast pork fried rice. One fried wonton with peanut sesame sauce, Half an egg roll and half order of Edamame.

I had some sautéed rainbow chard and fried kolbasa slices. It's from a Canadian company called Schneiders and it's already cooked. I really wish I could find a good way to use this sausage. It wasn't bad fried, but I'm sure there are better ways to serve it.

I did a sous vide mini pork loin roast that I finished in a hot CI skillet along with broiled zucchini and tossed salads.

Can you tell we love cilantro?
Same here. I can't imagine not liking cilantro.

You might like to try this dish: Lomo Saltado.
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/lomo-saltado-peruvian-stir-fry-305652

I use the above recipe as an inspiration. The changes I make are: use fresh tomatoes inside of canned, dice the jalapeno peppers,
use oven fries instead of potatoes, extra cilantro and skip the rice. To serve, I place a handful of fries on the plate and then ladle the meat/pepper/gravy on top of the fries.

Same here. I can't imagine not liking cilantro.

You might like to try this dish: Lomo Saltado.
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/lomo-saltado-peruvian-stir-fry-305652

I use the above recipe as an inspiration. The changes I make are: use fresh tomatoes inside of canned, dice the jalapeno peppers,
use oven fries instead of potatoes, extra cilantro and skip the rice. To serve, I place a handful of fries on the plate and then ladle the meat/pepper/gravy on top of the fries.

Lomo Saltado should definitely be made with fresh tomatoes. When I was working in that part of the world I never saw caned being used but I am sure some home cooks do.

It's a deceptively complicated meal to time. You cooking rice, prepping everything and you want the fries done just before the stir fry is done. Adding the potatoes was a way for the Chinese immigrants to stretch rice until rice production caught up with demand.

It's a deceptively complicated meal to time. You cooking rice, prepping everything and you want the fries done just before the stir fry is done. Adding the potatoes was a way for the Chinese immigrants to stretch rice until rice production caught up with demand.

Interesting. I had the meal for the first time at a Peruvian restaurant in Somerville and I don't recall them serving rice. Just fries. So that's why I skip the rice. The only issue is that the potatoes/fries do get a bit soggy if you don't eat it quickly. I think rice would do a better job in capturing the gravy and staying intact.

Lomo Saltado should definitely be made with fresh tomatoes. When I was working in that part of the world I never saw caned being used but I am sure some home cooks do.

Interesting. I had the meal for the first time at a Peruvian restaurant in Somerville and I don't recall them serving rice. Just fries. So that's why I skip the rice. The only issue is that the potatoes/fries do get a bit soggy if you don't eat it quickly. I think rice would do a better job in capturing the gravy and staying intact.
I haven't tried making this yet, although I did enjoy it at a Peruvian restaurant once. My go-to site for unusual recipes is Serious Eats. I like how they go into the history of the dish and options for various ways to cook each element, to find the best way to do it. Hth.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/03/how-to-make-peruvian-lomo-saltado.html

Back
Top Bottom