Sunday Supper, August 6th 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
It's a cool, clear, picture perfect day here. Temps in the mid 70s and dry as a bone. There is a cool breeze circulating through the land that imparts a slight chill to those of us who cling to the memory of hot summer days dressed in shorts and a T-shirt.

Our vagabond granddaughter has come in for a landing and will be with us until Wednesday so a nice heartwarming family meal is called for.

Assuming SO's stomach woes are resolved, we'll have meatloaf, mashed potatoes and a green veggie of one sort or another.

What are your plans?

I am planning on prepping and freezing multicolored peppers, onions, mushrooms and sweet sausage. Steaming green beans, potatoes and eggs. All these things are for meals during the week.

Dinner tonight will be pot roast, mashed taters and steamed baby spinach.

Sunday Dinner - Polska Kielbasa, Polish potato salad, peas & carrots, and a 2016 Starling Castle Gewürztraminer

Saved back one of Kenneth's big beefsteak tomatoes which will dress our grilled hamburgers tonight. The other usual suspects will accompany the tomato, onion slices, lettuce, cheese. Just finished making a small quantity of my Cajun potato salad. Iced tea will wash it all down. No dessert necessary because, no doubt, we'll be quite full.

Instant Pot (pressure cooker) Pot Roast, mashed potatoes, steamed baby spinach and onion mushroom au jus.

27696-albums1087-picture7062.jpg

27696-albums1087-picture7063.jpg

Pork loin souvlaki kebabs, with tzatziki, Greek grill foil packet potatoes made with oregano, garlic, and lemon juice and zest. I like the all unbleached white flour pita better than the mostly whole wheat ones, but I may add a bit of whole wheat next time to help with structure and strength.

Attachments

• 2017-08-06 18.31.38.jpg
    2017-08-06 18.31.38.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Ribeye steak, sous vide and seared in a cast iron skillet for a nice medium-rare. Some mac-n-cheese on the side. Fresh fruits for desert later in the evening.

CD

Second day of slices off the pork loin roast, mashed potatoes & gravy.. Side of steamed broccoli..

Strawberries and cream for dessert..

Ross

Yes, sir_Loin, what is Polish potato salad, and Katie what makes up Cajun potato salad.

We are on vacation at a lake up north. Tonight we grilled chicken brushed with Famous Dave's Bbq sauce. Deli 3 bean salad, deli cole slaw, deli calico beans << actually pretty good. I sense someone else did most of the cooking tonight. Watermelon and Dairy queen chocolate ice cream , ice cream cones followed by a hose off for the grand kids.

My cajun potato salad is very much like regular potato salad, but with some cajun spices added, like cayenne and tabasco. I also put chopped cooked bacon in mine, or chopped tasso, if I have some.

CD

What is Polish potato salad?
It's a potato salad that everyone tells jokes about.

Seriously, just like most cuisines, there are several variations. Google it and pick one. I chose one with carrots and peas, and left out the pickles!

Last edited:
The Polish potato salad we buy from a Polish deli where English is only spoken when necessary (like when I go there - or so it seems), the potato salad is pretty standard: mayo, minced onion, and minced celery, but it is sweetened with pineapple juice, and you can get it with or without caraway seed.

We had our Peruvian friends over today, and after a fun day on the boat, I grilled skinless chicken thighs, Italian style chicken sausage, sliced vidalia onions, and 2 gigantic portabella mushroom caps stuffed with garlic sauteed spinach, then topped with shredded provolone.
DW made a mixed green salad, and had made macaroni salad earlier in the day.

I don't think our guests were impressed in any way. I heard my friend's wife say in Spanish to him that she was wondering why I was skinning the thighs. And why would there be no corn or potato dishes. I pretended that I didn't understand what they were saying, lol.
I guess they aren't used to my wife's ultra-healthy (read boring) menu. The chicken was good, but it needs help. I put out 2 hot sauces, 2 bbq sauces, and a curry/mango sauce, but everyone just picked at the plain food like birds.

They probably stopped at a diner on the way home. Lol, reminds me of when we visit my brother. He and his wife are the worst cooks in the world, so we always plan on going out for dinner after "eating" at their house.

Well, as far as today goes, you can't win 'em all. Next time I'm making cuy, beans and rice, and chicharron.

Hmm, I shoulda grilled some mozzarepas. Next time.

Last edited:
Stirling grilled Italian sausage and I made a huge salad: Romaine lettuce, carrots, celery, red cabbage, and red onion with a homemade vinaigrette. It's really quick to grill those sausages and great to use the Thermapen to make sure they are just done, not overdone and dry. There will be homemade lemon sherbet for dessert.

Edit, I shredded a bit of sunchoke to top the salad. We only wanted to use a little because we have never had it before and have heard stories of possible problems with "wind" or stomach pains due to "wind". It is an interesting flavour.

Last edited:
Because it was so much cooler today, I threw together a ham and cheese hash brown casserole and I'm having a couple buttered Hawaiian rolls with it.

It doesn't matter what Polish potato salad is now because it's getting close to bed time and I am still not hungry. Looks like I will be sending myself to bed without supper.

I made Chili Rellano casserole, and Mexican rice. We really like flour tortillas fire toasted on the gas cooktop and I made one for each plate then served the casserole and rice on the top of the tortilla with more cheese/cilantro, and folded. I guess we ended up with really glorified quesedella's. It sure was tasty.

Back
Top Bottom