Sunday Supper June 3rd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I’m sitting here in the cold babysitting my Weber as I smoke a 3 pound pork loin and a half dozen ABTs. That’s going to be our dinner along with some leftover slaw and sesame noodles.

What’s planned for your dinner

I cancelled the outdoor cooking plans today when it started to cool off after lunch..I am roasting root veg and a rack of lamb as we speak..cherry tomato salad also..

Last edited:
Craig made banh mi sammies. Asian pork meatballs, daikon and carrot slaw, hot chili mayo, cilantro and jalapeño slices for garnish.

Attachments

• 2018-06-03 16.50.40.jpg
    2018-06-03 16.50.40.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 153
Went to daughter and SIL's for dinner, which means I did the catering. A couple of things to toss on the grill - chicken breast strips in a soy and garlic marinade, sweet Italian sausages. Sesame noodles and a green salad on the side. Mrs. T and I get to play with the grandkids, and daughter and SIL have to keep them out of trouble, which isn't easy, as grandson is getting to be a pretty fast runner.

It's also World Bicycle Day:

World Bicycle Day 3 June

Bicycles don't have anything to do with cooking, but have a lot to do with eating. I enjoy my pasta, bread, and beer without having to buy new (larger) pants.

I'm going to fire up the Weber gasser once the outside temperature gets reasonable, and grill some flat iron steak and a skewer of shrimp. Surf and turf.

Ten or so years ago, flat iron steak was cheap -- AKA, trailer park tenderloin. Then people found out how good it is, and it became a luxury meat. I got this one on sale for $6.99 a pound, and was happy to get it for that price. Ten or so years ago, it was $2.99 a pound everyday.

CD

I’m sitting here in the cold babysitting my Weber as I smoke a 3 pound pork loin and a half dozen ABTs. That’s going to be our dinner along with some leftover slaw and sesame noodles.

What’s planned for your dinner

Sometimes it all comes together perfectly and you get a great dinner. I brined and rubbed the loin and smoked it with hickory for about 2.5 hours and pulled it off at 140ºF, wrapped it in foil and let it rest. The ABTs were stuffed with cream cheese and a small piece of kielbasa and wrapped in Costco bacon. They were smoked with the pork.

The pork loin was one of the tastiest meats I've smoked. It was also tender and juicy.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_525f.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_525f.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 110
  • fullsizeoutput_525d.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_525d.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 141
  • fullsizeoutput_525b.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_525b.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 120
Sometimes it all comes together perfectly and you get a great dinner. I brined and rubbed the loin and smoked it with hickory for about 2.5 hours and pulled it off at 140ºF, wrapped it in foil and let it rest. The ABTs were stuffed with cream cheese and a small piece of kielbasa and wrapped in Costco bacon. They were smoked with the pork.

The pork loin was one of the tastiest meats I've smoked. It was also tender and juicy.

Looks good.. might have to do one of those...

It looks great! There is a certain feeling of satisfaction when you spend a lot of time smoking some meat. It is something that takes a person a few centuries back in time.

Pork loin is very lean, so it is tricky to cook low and slow. Good job!

CD

That is some mighty fine caveman cooking there, Andy. Nicely done.

I had a meltdown today, so Himself did what he does best...get carry-out. :LOL: We had our favorite thing from the local pizza joint, a steakbomb calzone.

Looks good Med. We love Banh Mi sandwiches made with slices of this terrific Asian Pork recipe from Chef John..

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/246029/pan-roasted-5-spice-pork-loin/

Tonight we had fried gr.beef taco's just the way we like them.:zorro:

Thanks, they are great. We've been using this recipe for over 8 years, subbing regular radishes when daikon wasn't always readily available years ago. I love the flavor of the sesame oil they get cooked in, though Craig actually uses more than what is called for in the recipe.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pork-meatball-banh-mi

Last edited:
Thanks, they are great. We've been using this recipe for over 8 years, subbing regular radishes when daikon wasn't always readily available years ago. I love the flavor of the sesame oil they get cooked in, though Craig actually uses more than what is called for in the recipe.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pork-meatball-banh-mi

That meatball recipe looks good for the sandwiches too. By the way, Bolillo rolls from our Mexican bakery work really well.

Andy, I was going to ask if you brined that beautiful loin roast but I see now that you did. I'll bet it had much to do with it being such a juicy success, besides the masterful chef.:chef:;)

Andy, I was going to ask if you brined that beautiful loin roast but I see now that you did. I'll bet it had much to do with it being such a juicy success, besides the masterful chef.:chef:;)

Kayelle, I have gotten so fed up with dry pork that I try to brine it every time. Tenderloins are the exception as they seem to come out fine not brined.

I brined it overnight, then rubbed it and wrapped it so it soaked up the flavors of the brine overnight.

Kayelle, I have gotten so fed up with dry pork that I try to brine it every time. Tenderloins are the exception as they seem to come out fine not brined.

I brined it overnight, then rubbed it and wrapped it so it soaked up the flavors of the brine overnight.

I so agree about the brineing Andy. I bought a whole loin, and plan on using 2 or 3 lbs to follow your lead. I only have a V box smoker for my gas grill, but I'll give it a shot.

I so agree about the brineing Andy. I bought a whole loin, and plan on using 2 or 3 lbs to follow your lead. I only have a V box smoker for my gas grill, but I'll give it a shot.

I do all my smoking on a Weber charcoal kettle. I've smoked on a gas grill too. You'll love it.

Back
Top Bottom