Sunday the 29th - Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
It's going to be a cold, rainy day so we have a hearty beef barley soup with mushrooms and some ciabatta bread for dinner tonight.

...and you?

I'm making coney islands - hotdogs topped with chili and diced onion along with part of a package of tater tots to catch the over flow.

Spiral cut ham....au gratin potatoes (dude...the blonde roux was made from bacon grease...Heart healthy!!!) green beans...homemade rolls, and brownies with cream cheese swirls.

OMG...I think I have created the best potatoes ever...definitely the best I've ever made.

I peeled and sliced baking potatoes and par-boiled them for about 7 minutes. Then I put bacon grease and butter in a sauce pan, and added finely diced garlic and onions...allowed to cook a bit...then added flour and cooked until the flour just started to blonde. Added 1 cup of warm milk, a can of cream of mushroom soup, american cheese, cheddar cheese, smoked cheddar, and shredded parmesian with a teaspoon of concentrated chicken stock paste. Once it was all fully melted, I poured it over the potatoes in a large cassarole dish, and cooked for 45 minutes at 350f. Then 10 minutes before it was done, topped with more shredded cheddar and bacon bits. Super delicious and you'll need a prescription for "Zetia" cholesterol medication afterward.

Last edited:
after last night's carnivorous cavortings,my desire for all things piscean overwhelmed me.to "balance the scales"(gettit?see what i did there?no?oh well...)i decided on fried fish.not just any old fried fish,no siree,but a dish inspired by mouthwatering seafood dishes i have devoured when on holiday in italy,in particular sardinia,and rika,the drop dead gorgeous presenter of "dining with the chef"on nhk.said programme is the only cookery prog i watch these days because a)i love japanese food b)i love rika:wub:!
any road up,i saw rika:wub:frying some veg dredged in potato flour & it looked absolutely deelish,lightly coloured & crispy.sooooo,thunk i,if that works for rika's:wub:veg,i bet it would work on fish.next,the seasoning.rika:wub:is japanese,so i thought umami.umami dust to be precise.so the cogs whirred,the gears turned,my heart beat faster at the thought of rika:wub:and i had my "eureka"(gettit?see what i did there? u rika:wub:,eureka...oh forget it then)...harry's fritto misto di mare(prawns,chipirones(baby squid) & haddock loin)lightly dusted with potato starch/umami dust served with a simple green salad of romaine lettuce,sweet emerald green toms,sugar drop toms,chilean baby hass avocados & giant egyptian spring onions.salad dressing was an equally simple fruity italian evoo & californian meyer lemon juice.super chilled chablis icier than rudolf's nose.thank you!

Attachments

• FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 001.JPG
    FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 001.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 202
  • FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 002.JPG
    FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 002.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 174
  • FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 003.jpg
    FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 003.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 184
  • FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 004.jpg
    FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 004.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 200
  • FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 005.JPG
    FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 005.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 164
  • FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 006.jpg
    FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 006.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 212
  • FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 007.JPG
    FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 007.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 154
  • FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 008.JPG
    FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 008.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 176
  • FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 009.JPG
    FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 009.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 173
  • FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 010.JPG
    FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 010.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 170
  • FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 015.JPG
    FRITTO MISTO DI MARE 015.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 225
To heck with the fried fish... how were you able to use so many smilies and post so many pics in one post? :huh: I know I've run into a limit several times before and had to delete smilies and post the pics over two posts...

But seriously, lovely dinner. :yum: Beautiful breading.

Although I have never said this before, today we're having Sunday Gravy. Today is our kids' birthday (birthdays? ) and they love the family spaghetti sauce recipe.

after last night's carnivorous cavortings,my desire for all things piscean overwhelmed me.to "balance the scales"(gettit?see what i did there?no?oh well...)i decided on fried fish.not just any old fried fish,no siree,but a dish inspired by mouthwatering seafood dishes i have devoured when on holiday in italy,in particular sardinia,and rika,the drop dead gorgeous presenter of "dining with the chef"on nhk.said programme is the only cookery prog i watch these days because a)i love japanese food b)i love rika:wub:!
any road up,i saw rika:wub:frying some veg dredged in potato flour & it looked absolutely deelish,lightly coloured & crispy.sooooo,thunk i,if that works for rika's:wub:veg,i bet it would work on fish.next,the seasoning.rika:wub:is japanese,so i thought umami.umami dust to be precise.so the cogs whirred,the gears turned,my heart beat faster at the thought of rika:wub:and i had my "eureka"(gettit?see what i did there? u rika:wub:,eureka...oh forget it then)...harry's fritto misto di mare(prawns,chipirones(baby squid) & haddock loin)lightly dusted with potato starch/umami dust served with a simple green salad of romaine lettuce,sweet emerald green toms,sugar drop toms,chilean baby hass avocados & giant egyptian spring onions.salad dressing was an equally simple fruity italian evoo & californian meyer lemon juice.super chilled chablis icier than rudolf's nose.thank you!

I just love your tastes and you style.

The plan was to tailgate and try out the new sous vide immersion controller. We over slept so it was dinner instead.

Sweet italian sausage with parsley and garlics pasta. Some sauteed peppers/onions/mushrooms to go with it as well. :yum:

I browned the sausage with a blow torch.

30377-albums858-picture5791.jpg

Looks easy and delicious!
Super easy and good. I used cubed pork instead of ground pork (had some thawed). Substituted leeks for the green onions since I had some, tossed in some celery and green pepper, used the white part of some lemon grass I pulled out of the pot in the kitchen, and a splash of fish sauce, squeezed some lime juice on top at the end with the cilantro, mint, thai basil and bean sprouts. Definitely a dish I'll make again. Leftovers for breakfast!

We had a French omelette with scallions and Gruyère cubes, hot buttered whole grain toast on the side.

I made this microwave fudge for dessert: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/s24yr5e1/microwave-fudge.html. This was more the consistency I was hoping for. The only difference in this recipe, from the previous one I tried, is nuke for 2 1/2 minutes instead of only 2 minutes.

To heck with the fried fish... how were you able to use so many smilies and post so many pics in one post? :huh: I know I've run into a limit several times before and had to delete smilies and post the pics over two posts...

But seriously, lovely dinner. :yum: Beautiful breading.
cheers pac,the potato flour/starch/farina,whatever,was super crisp from beginning to end,mate!!defo be using that again!!the smilies?"that's the power of lurvvvve"as the song goes;)!!dunno,it bounces my posts if there are more than 9 smileys,including those in another members quoted post,whether there are pics or not:ermm:?

The plan was to tailgate and try out the new sous vide immersion controller. We over slept so it was dinner instead.

Sweet italian sausage with parsley and garlics pasta. Some sauteed peppers/onions/mushrooms to go with it as well. :yum:

I browned the sausage with a blow torch.
ah hah,so you've got a camera too,frank.who'd have thought it:rolleyes:;):LOL:?nice job,mate!!lovin' those blowtorch browned "bangers":yum:!!

My son is heading out for a 5 month cruise with Carnival Tours. He will be playing his guitar in on of the lounges. We had a farewell dinner of pizza in a restaurant in Ottawa with his siblings....

My son is heading out for a 5 month cruise with Carnival Tours. He will be playing his guitar in on of the lounges. We had a farewell dinner of pizza in a restaurant in Ottawa with his siblings....

Sounds wonderful, he will come back with some memories that will stay with him for a lifetime!

:whistling Love, exciting and new. Come Aboard. We're expecting you~~~~~ :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom