Sunday - Valentine's Eve - What's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
What?! No one eating dinner today? We are.

Tonight's fare includes short ribs of beef slowly cooked in red wine-tomato sauce with garlic and onions, hash brown casserole, Italian green beans, iced tea, and blackberry pie a la mode.

What is on the table at your house?

It has gotten "cold" here with a miserable 74F as a high!:rolleyes: So we are having chili.

Craig

Ummm.. I couldn't even being to tell you what dinner will be.

I am rendering duck fat right now though. :cool:

We had Subway Club sandwiches for lunch. Yum!

I will be making something a little different tonight for supper, something I have never made. First off, I had started ground beef browning yesterday for lasagna, but my friend decided she didn't want it after all, so after I browned it I refrigerated it. I was going to make tamale pie tonight, but I decided to make something special for James. I'm not going to do anything special with the ground beef--I will heat it up with some BBQ sauce.

A few weeks ago I bought a Star Trek cookbook. James was intrigued by the recipe for Welsh Rarebit (his mother was Welsh). So for his Valentine's Day eve meal I will make him some Star Trek Welsh Rarebit. I bought some good crusty loaves of bread to go with it. I'm not sure what vegetable yet. He loves Brussels sprouts, so maybe we will have that.

Shhhh! Don't tell him what I'm making--it's a secret!

I would like to do something special for dessert, but I'm not sure what yet. I had planned on making the "Funeral" cake you had mentioned Katie, but I hate to make something so big when he will be leaving for the week either tonight or in the morning. Dessert may end up just being either strawberry or peach yogurt. :cool: I'll probably make the cake Friday for his homecoming.

:)Barbara

I'm cooking SO's Valentine Day Dinner tonight. We're having filet mignon, roasted potatoes and white asparagus. Dessert will be red velvet cake.

I am making Golabki (aka stuffed cabbage rolls). Steamed cauliflower will be the veg but I'm not sure what I am going to sever with it. I have some Pierogi in the freezer or I may make mashed potatoes.

It has gotten "cold" here with a miserable 74F as a high!:rolleyes: So we are having chili.

Craig
OH PLEASE!!! I am excited to grill out ribeye steaks tonight! Right now it is 65F! That is 70 degrees warmer than our highs the last two weeks! We had chili when the high was 5 degrees below zero! ;) I'm not sure on the sides yet.

i am taking my daughter-in-law (oh she the constant dieter) out to lunch. probably won't be to hungry at dinner time. just in case i have pulled pork. will have on whole wheat bun. or breakfast.

I'm making some green beans with salt pork and new potatoes. Roasting a (real this time) pork roast. Think I am going to dry rub w/ low sodium Old Bay and brown in garlic/olive oil before roasting. Warm some bread on the side. We will have chocolate covered strawberries for dessert.

Last edited:
Sunday Dinner was Pork Tenderloin...Stove Top/Oven method. Threw in a double hand full of baby bellas...
Stove Top Pan Roasted Potatoes.......
Steamed Broccoli....
Squash Casserole.....
Honey Lemon Spinach Salad....
Chocolate Cake.....

I'm still cleaning out the freezer so I can start cooking again, so I thawed out some mac & cheese as well as some pork chili. I'm also working on the seafood soup which came out really well.

I want to clear out as much as possible in the freezer so I'll have room for grocery shopping on Thursday.

I'm thinking toasted cheese sandwiches with tomato if I'm hungry. That spicy lunch seems to be holding me over pretty well.

A bit of a morbid story here. Went to a wake this afternoon after work. One of my co-workers grandmothers passed away. There was a Chinese restaurant across the street I noticed when I was walking out, so I decided to order some take away. It wasn't too bad. Cantonese Chow Mein, egg rolls, rice, beef and broccoli....

small portions of several leftovers; ham pizza, pork/applesauce meatloaf, tuna salad on toast, heavily buttered roll for dh, cole slaw for me, ice cream for all

We have been lazily doing odd chores and fun things today. I still need to do laundry otherwise I will be struggling to find something to wear to work.

We are having Subway Spicy Italian subs for dinner. I made some coconut-sugar cookies with an almond-flavored butter cream icing for Valentine's Day Eve. :) I'm no baker, but they are iced in pink! It's the only time of the year that I make them.

~Kathleen

Attachments

• on a plate.jpg
    on a plate.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 191
  • on a plate and in a jar.jpg
    on a plate and in a jar.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 168
i am taking my daughter-in-law (oh she the constant dieter) out to lunch. probably won't be to hungry at dinner time. just in case i have pulled pork. will have on whole wheat bun. or breakfast.

great lunch and i have leftovers for dinner. had a sampler with calamari,stuffed mushrooms ( stuffed with crab mixture. and fried zucchini, for dessert, tiramisu. can you tell we went to olive garden ? didn't have leftover dessert but ordered one to go. i also had an Italian :). didn't care for it so much. we enjoyed ourselves with the meal and then did a tiny bit of shopping at the mall.

i got my great granddaughter a chef set for her birthday. she insisted on wearing it. to cute, hate, apron, two hot pan holders and wooden spoon. we will be baking valentine cupcakes tomorrow. nice day!:)

Back
Top Bottom