Sunday will never be the same. For dinner. 9/22/13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I made black beans and ham in the CP last night, DH proclaimed it the best ever this morning! That, with rice, and some roasted cherry toms. What are you having?

Last edited:
I threw some chicken breasts in the crock pot with a can of crushed pineapple and a bottle of Russian dressing. I've got some rice cooking right now so dinner will happen soon.

Really feel like some soup tonight, it's a blustery rainy day here, though the sun is trying to make an appearance. Going to go see what I can scare up.

Grilling. The kitchen's too clean to mess it up with dinner.

Pork tenderloin and roasted reds and a veggie.

I just got a lamb burger ready for the grill; all mixed with diced red onions, mint, oregano and stuffed with feta cheese. I'll also be sautéing some Brussels sprouts and making soup.

Oven roasted beef, baked potato, yorkshire pudding, salad of sorts with cucumber, grape tomatoes, avocado, sweet peppers, and blue cheese dressing. For dessert we had mulled apple cider. It was so good and not nearly as much work as I expected. Sprout did the baked potatoes. I don't know why I thought a beef roast in the oven would be difficult or take too long, it was pretty easy. I'm deffinitely going to have to make the yorkshire pudding again. That stuff is good! I'm thinking I might try popovers only a sweet version for a dessert in the near future. They seem like they would be good with heavy whiped cream and preserves.

I just had a repeat of some hanky pankies --mini sausage/ burger/ cheese sandwiches on deli rye from earlier today, along with a defrosted /oven heated grilled boneless chicken breast and a couple beanie size tomatoes.

Finally got around to making this Bacon Ranch Potato Salad using the homemade Buttermilk Ranch dressing from this recipe on that same blog. I think the dressing (made about a week ago) took longer than the potato salad! Oh, it was worth the work - I will be making this version again. And again... Paired the potato salad with hot dogs steamed in beer (had half a bottle of flat Bass left over from my crockpot bratwurst last week) and the last of a huge batch of baked beans with added bacon I made a while back. Couldn't find any hot dog buns except for the split-top kind and I consider those usable for a seafood salad only - they're too gummy for hot dogs IMO. We just used sliced Panera homestyle white bread and it was great!

I had a book club meeting here starting at 3 p.m. and made Greek meatballs, tzatziki, pita chips and assorted fresh veggies for that, so I wasn't very hungry. So we had leftovers: one chicken thigh each and some veggie pasta salad.

I was going to make tzatziki yesterday, until I remembered I used up the cucumber half in a salad a couple days before.

Unless you grow your own, pumpkins are pretty tasteless in the UK. They only appear in for a few weeks before Hallowe'en for the purposes of pumpkin lanterns. However, I have recently discovered Libby's canned pumpkin puree (not the pie filling) first on Amazon and then by serendipity and at half the price in my local ALDI (discount supermarket) so I stocked up.

Last night I had home-made pumpkin and sweet potato soup with a splodge of fat free fromage frais on top and some walnut and spelt bread from Morrisons.

Talking of pumpkins, does anyone have a pumpkin pie recipe that doesn't go too heavy on the spices and sugar? The only recipes I've tried have had so much cinnamon, nutmeg, etc., and sugar in them that they've been tooth-rottingly inedible. As I've got over a dozen cans of pumpkin puree in the cupboard I'd better start using them up.

Talking of pumpkins, does anyone have a pumpkin pie recipe that doesn't go too heavy on the spices and sugar? The only recipes I've tried have had so much cinnamon, nutmeg, etc., and sugar in them that they've been tooth-rottingly inedible. As I've got over a dozen cans of pumpkin puree in the cupboard I'd better start using them up.

Just half the spices and sugar in the recipe. Once the eggs are mixed in, take out 2 tablespoons and zap it in the micro, taste, adjust as needed.

Have you tried the recipe on the Libby's can?
There isn't one on the cans I've got. The packaging must be different for here.

I've tried a "Readers Digest Cookery Book" one and one from an article on American recipes in a Women's Magazine and one from "An American Encyclopaedia of Food" (I think that was the correct title. A thrift shop find which went back there after a few attempts at the recipes which weren't very successful.)

I have a very sweet tooth (can eat Carnation Caramel straight out of the can with a spoon!!) but all the recipes were impossibly sweet and they had an enormous amount of cinnamon and nutmeg - in one recipe TWO TEASPOONSFUL of both in the filling for an 8 inch pie shell!!!

Will persevere. I have just sent for an Ellie Krieger book which cancentrates on healthy but good eating. I'll have a look if she says anything about PP.I might have a look in Ina Garten's books when they come (Christmas list)

Last edited:
Unless you grow your own, pumpkins are pretty tasteless in the UK. They only appear in for a few weeks before Hallowe'en for the purposes of pumpkin lanterns.....
That's because jack-o-lantern pumpkins are different than pie pumpkins. The pie variety are smaller, heavier for their size, and a whole lot less seed cavity. The meat is less stringy too.

Back
Top Bottom