"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
How does one end up with leftover boiled shrimp???
Intentional leftovers, I usually make more than we can eat.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
You must have to make a LOT of shrimp (I used to be a professional "all you can eat" contestant, especially when it was lobster, shrimp, crab legs, or mussels), at least, I was until the restaurant banned us after a group of 30 of us consumed 6-7 lobsters each...we even brought our own "tools" (we didn't eat anything other than lobster). My mother didn't get banned when she ate 66 shrimp at an all-you-can-eat shrimp festival...so how many shrimp did you make! LOL!

Old 08-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
You must have to make a LOT of shrimp (I used to be a professional "all you can eat" contestant, especially when it was lobster, shrimp, crab legs, or mussels), at least, I was until the restaurant banned us after a group of 30 of us consumed 6-7 lobsters each...we even brought our own "tools" (we didn't eat anything other than lobster). My mother didn't get banned when she ate 66 shrimp at an all-you-can-eat shrimp festival...so how many shrimp did you make! LOL!
Not THAT much!
Old 08-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
Master Chef

CWS and jabbur, so sorry to hear about your Moms' failing health. Big (((HUGS))) to you both. AND to your Dads' too, since they're there all the time.

I was going to turn the dark meat from a rotisserie chicken into enchiladas. Suddenly, a huge wave a laziness has swept over me. If I'm still being lazy Himself can have the dark meat all to himself, can open a can of corn if he wants veggies, and can nuke a tater if he wants that. I'll clean up a bit of chicken salad, just enough for a small lettuce cup, and I'll turn that last little piece of fried cod into a fish sandwich. And, shocker, I will probably not be making a salad.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Dementia - the gift that keeps on taking. Sorry Jabbur, I know how hard this is on family.

It's nice that they get some decent foods in. Has FIL looked at meals on Wheels for lunch each day? That would take some of the strain off of cooking.
Fortunately, my BIL lives just down the street so his wife usually does dinner for them 2 nights a week and makes sure they have what they need. He has aides come in in the morning to help get her up, showered and dressed. They are usually there for breakfast and lunch. They have gotten them eating a bit better as long as he gets the groceries for them! He does dinner then an aide comes back for 2 hours after dinner to get her into the bed. They want to keep her home as long as possible. He thinks she'll not do well in a nursing home but I think at this point she may not even realize where she is to have a problem. I'm glad there is family close by. It was a good move for them to be so close (1/2 mile) to someone.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
CWS and jabbur, so sorry to hear about your Moms' failing health. Big (((HUGS))) to you both. AND to your Dads' too, since they're there all the time.
Thanks, GC. It doesn't get better, it only gets worse. I stay so long because it is such a long drive and to give my Dad much needed respite. Unlike jabbur, the nearest family member is a cousin (3 hours away). She usually goes for a weekend every couple of months. My brother lives 45 minutes from me, so we rotate who is going to MN to do eldercare. It is his turn this fall to do the stuff that needs to be done before the snow flies. Like jabbur, we are all trying to keep Mom at home as long as possible because she gets more confused and stressed when out of her environment.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Sometimes I do the same thing. And sometimes it's not so intentional.
I ordered some shrimp online once that were supposed to have been flash frozen and came in one solid block. Even I can't eat 10 lbs of shrimp at one sitting.

I'm having pinoy pork BBQ, Mexican slaw and grilled corn on the cob. I might through some courgettes herbes de Provence in the mix, too.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's heartwarming to see folks who will put in the extra effort to keep their parents at home as long as possible. Here's hoping and praying there are no broken bones in the future.

Looks like I am making Mandarin Chicken Salad tonight for lunch tomorrow. Boss is paying for the groceries and I'm assembling. We do this whenever the third person in the office is gone, she's an incredibly picky eater. Boss is a foodie, but doesn't like to cook.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I'm going to reheat the last two of the "Poor Man's Crab Cakes". I and am going to make some home-made french fries to go with and I made some macaroni and potato salad this afternoon that we will have along side as well. I'll probably have a salad or some sliced garden veg.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh--I forgot about that recipe, PF. I have everything except the chicken...well, unless you count the ones in the yard! (No, I'm NOT going to cull the flock, I don't care how yummy this salad is!)

Tags
dinner