Sunday's dinner is bonny and blithe (and good and happy)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
(somewhat redundant since blithe's definition includes happy).

Anyway, I'm repeating what I served last night since I have lots leftover: hummus, baba ganoughj, ww pita, tatziki, fruit salad, raw veggies.

Haven't decided if it will be the leftover spaghetti or if I'll do up something else. I need to start planning meals for later in the week when we're visiting the in-laws. I always cook for them now when we go. That stifles my creativity here at home before we go since I'm thinking about what to serve them!

Haven't decided if it will be the leftover spaghetti or if I'll do up something else. I need to start planning meals for later in the week when we're visiting the in-laws. I always cook for them now when we go. That stifles my creativity here at home before we go since I'm thinking about what to serve them!
When I visit my folks, I do all the cooking while I'm there. My rules are: (1) I don't make anything from a "box" (that's what my dad cooks), (2) I don't cook anything that my dad can cook (limited), and (3) I don't serve pasta more than twice during a visit (they eat a lot of pasta and I'm usually there 6-8 weeks). What I've been doing the last couple of times I visited was go through my mother's recipes and make things she used to cook (frosted chocolate cookies, crab marinara, linguini with clam sauce, etc.). My mother has dementia, but she definitely remembered the chocolate cookies (her mother used to make them all the time and the things I baked/made. They seem to enjoy that. Unfortunately, it takes my mom about 2 weeks to stop complaining that she doesn't like my dad's cooking after I've been for a visit.

When I visit my folks, I do all the cooking while I'm there. My rules are: (1) I don't make anything from a "box" (that's what my dad cooks), (2) I don't cook anything that my dad can cook (limited), and (3) I don't serve pasta more than twice during a visit (they eat a lot of pasta and I'm usually there 6-8 weeks). What I've been doing the last couple of times I visited was go through my mother's recipes and make things she used to cook (frosted chocolate cookies, crab marinara, linguini with clam sauce, etc.). My mother has dementia, but she definitely remembered the chocolate cookies (her mother used to make them all the time and the things I baked/made. They seem to enjoy that. Unfortunately, it takes my mom about 2 weeks to stop complaining that she doesn't like my dad's cooking after I've been for a visit.

MIL has dementia also. Dad is not a really good cook. He never made a meal until Mom got to the point it was dangerous for her to cook. Now, she is basically non-functioning. She has forgotten how to walk. About the only thing she still does herself is feed herself. She's in a wheelchair most of the time and no longer can do much of anything. Dad cooks a lot of cup of soup type things and is not very adventurous. I try not to get too "exotic" since they didn't eat that way before. I try to do enough so they have leftovers for some meals after we leave. Right now, we're only there 2-3 days since it takes a day to drive each way. By the time we're leaving, they are ready for us to go too! I'll be going through my recipes this afternoon so I can plan meals and make a shopping list. I'll hit the grocery store there.

Two weeks of Short Term Memory? That's a good thing, too bad it can't be retrained.

No dinner tonight, maybe a cup of broth...

MIL has dementia also. Dad is not a really good cook. He never made a meal until Mom got to the point it was dangerous for her to cook. Now, she is basically non-functioning. She has forgotten how to walk. About the only thing she still does herself is feed herself. She's in a wheelchair most of the time and no longer can do much of anything. Dad cooks a lot of cup of soup type things and is not very adventurous. I try not to get too "exotic" since they didn't eat that way before. I try to do enough so they have leftovers for some meals after we leave. Right now, we're only there 2-3 days since it takes a day to drive each way. By the time we're leaving, they are ready for us to go too! I'll be going through my recipes this afternoon so I can plan meals and make a shopping list. I'll hit the grocery store there.

Dementia - the gift that keeps on taking. Sorry Jabbur, I know how hard this is on family.

It's nice that they get some decent foods in. Has FIL looked at meals on Wheels for lunch each day? That would take some of the strain off of cooking.

I hear you on "dad's not a really good cook." My father's cooking skills were limited to burgers, steaks (on the grill), tomato soup (which I detest--the baking soda is just not for me), and Sunday morning eggs. My mother's dementia isn't to that stage, yet, but I can see it coming. Walking is difficult for her now. I don't go exotic, either, but I make things that are more complicated than my father's cooking skills and I only cook from scratch. At least when I'm there, they don't eat processed food. I try to leave leftovers when I leave, but my father has this thing about food in the freezer, so I no longer do that. When my mom was still able to cook, she could prepare those things if I left a spreadsheet showing what to take out of the freezer, when, and what sides to make, what to put on the grocery list, etc. It's tough. It is a 2-day drive each way for me. Wish it weren't so.

We have left over meatloaf and teriyaki shortribs from the last two nights. I think I'll do a pasta salad to help round things out.

Two weeks of Short Term Memory? That's a good thing, too bad it can't be retrained.

No dinner tonight, maybe a cup of broth...

Oh dear, not feeling well, PF? Hope you feel better soon!

We have leftover boiled shrimp, so am thinking shrimp fried rice.

:LOL: Intentional leftovers, I usually make more than we can eat.
You must have to make a LOT of shrimp (I used to be a professional "all you can eat" contestant, especially when it was lobster, shrimp, crab legs, or mussels), at least, I was until the restaurant banned us after a group of 30 of us consumed 6-7 lobsters each...we even brought our own "tools" (we didn't eat anything other than lobster). My mother didn't get banned when she ate 66 shrimp at an all-you-can-eat shrimp festival...so how many shrimp did you make! LOL!

Last edited:
You must have to make a LOT of shrimp (I used to be a professional "all you can eat" contestant, especially when it was lobster, shrimp, crab legs, or mussels), at least, I was until the restaurant banned us after a group of 30 of us consumed 6-7 lobsters each...we even brought our own "tools" (we didn't eat anything other than lobster). My mother didn't get banned when she ate 66 shrimp at an all-you-can-eat shrimp festival...so how many shrimp did you make! LOL!

:LOL: Not THAT much!

CWS and jabbur, so sorry to hear about your Moms' failing health. Big (((HUGS))) to you both. AND to your Dads' too, since they're there all the time.

I was going to turn the dark meat from a rotisserie chicken into enchiladas. Suddenly, a huge wave a laziness has swept over me. If I'm still being lazy Himself can have the dark meat all to himself, can open a can of corn if he wants veggies, and can nuke a tater if he wants that. I'll clean up a bit of chicken salad, just enough for a small lettuce cup, and I'll turn that last little piece of fried cod into a fish sandwich. And, shocker, I will probably not be making a salad. :ohmy:

Dementia - the gift that keeps on taking. Sorry Jabbur, I know how hard this is on family.

It's nice that they get some decent foods in. Has FIL looked at meals on Wheels for lunch each day? That would take some of the strain off of cooking.

Fortunately, my BIL lives just down the street so his wife usually does dinner for them 2 nights a week and makes sure they have what they need. He has aides come in in the morning to help get her up, showered and dressed. They are usually there for breakfast and lunch. They have gotten them eating a bit better as long as he gets the groceries for them! He does dinner then an aide comes back for 2 hours after dinner to get her into the bed. They want to keep her home as long as possible. He thinks she'll not do well in a nursing home but I think at this point she may not even realize where she is to have a problem. I'm glad there is family close by. It was a good move for them to be so close (1/2 mile) to someone.

CWS and jabbur, so sorry to hear about your Moms' failing health. Big (((HUGS))) to you both. AND to your Dads' too, since they're there all the time.
Thanks, GC. It doesn't get better, it only gets worse. I stay so long because it is such a long drive and to give my Dad much needed respite. Unlike jabbur, the nearest family member is a cousin (3 hours away). She usually goes for a weekend every couple of months. My brother lives 45 minutes from me, so we rotate who is going to MN to do eldercare. It is his turn this fall to do the stuff that needs to be done before the snow flies. Like jabbur, we are all trying to keep Mom at home as long as possible because she gets more confused and stressed when out of her environment.

:LOL: Intentional leftovers, I usually make more than we can eat.

Sometimes I do the same thing. And sometimes it's not so intentional.
I ordered some shrimp online once that were supposed to have been flash frozen and came in one solid block. Even I can't eat 10 lbs of shrimp at one sitting.

I'm having pinoy pork BBQ, Mexican slaw and grilled corn on the cob. I might through some courgettes herbes de Provence in the mix, too.

It's heartwarming to see folks who will put in the extra effort to keep their parents at home as long as possible. Here's hoping and praying there are no broken bones in the future.

Looks like I am making Mandarin Chicken Salad tonight for lunch tomorrow. Boss is paying for the groceries and I'm assembling. We do this whenever the third person in the office is gone, she's an incredibly picky eater. Boss is a foodie, but doesn't like to cook.

I'm going to reheat the last two of the "Poor Man's Crab Cakes". I and am going to make some home-made french fries to go with and I made some macaroni and potato salad this afternoon that we will have along side as well. I'll probably have a salad or some sliced garden veg.

Oh--I forgot about that recipe, PF. I have everything except the chicken...well, unless you count the ones in the yard! (No, I'm NOT going to cull the flock, I don't care how yummy this salad is!)

Back
Top Bottom